MP 3,1 need back into OS X

3 posts in this topic

So, being a "new" owner of a gently used 3,1 I am hitting all the road blocks one who has no idea what this large cheese grader really is hits.

The short of the story is:

I have this machine, came with an older Radeon card, added a GTX 960. Everything seems to be working fine in Windows, worked fine in 10.11 with nvidia web driver. Then one rainy day went to fire this beast up, only to not have the Radeon card output any video, no boot screen or desktop in OS X.  The GTX is working, system panel reports the Radeon is there and working, just no output. So like any amature, I did the NVRAM reset thinking this might fix it! ...........POW!!!!!

Turns out the Radeon card crapped out, and I reset the nvidia driver to the default that comes with OS X, so I just get a black monitor.

Short of buying an actual Mac card, is there anyway to change or modify some boot  file to make OS X use the already installed nvidia web driver? 

I can still boot into Windows, which is on a separate SSD than OS X, so I have some access.

Thanks to all.

The GTX 960 is a PC card? Remove the Radeon from the #1 slot and place the GTX960 there. It should work but no boot screen, am I correct? From what I am reading you probably press the Option key when the Radeon worked so you have a choice of choosing OS X or Windows. If that the case you will need a MAC compatible $$$ or pick up a PC card that can be flashed either by you if you have another PC laying around or check Netkas for flashing or MacVid. MacVid offers a choice of buying their cards already flashed or you sending them a compatible card (check their site first) before buying one so you get the right one also email them they will answer your query.

Lou Cioccio