Guide Clover Dell Precision 690 Workstation

chris1111

373 posts in this topic

Chris,

I have successfully installed El Capitan.  Thank you so much for the V3 installer.

I do have one more question though.  I can still only boot to the hard drive if I boot to the V3 Clover USB drive first and then tell it to boot OS X from the hard drive.  I have run the Post Clover Install and it installed to the hard drive but the computer will still not boot straight to the drive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Chris!

Restart  again the Post Installer and tell me if this work

Do you mean run the installer within OS X after booting to the hard drive?  Or is there a way to run the post installer outside of OS X?

Boot to the USB on your El Capitan desktop and restart Post Installer

Select your El Capitan SSD 

Like that

0020.png

Telling me if your see EFI Mounted  and Folder EFI  and boot file  inside the EFI Partition

Boot to the USB on your El Capitan desktop and restart Post Installer

Select your El Capitan SSD 

Like that

0020.png

Telling me if your see EFI Mounted  and Folder EFI  and boot file  inside the EFI Partition

I rebooted to the USB drive.   Do I now tell it to boot to "BOOT CLOVER FROM EFI"?

Boot on your El capitan desktop 

I figured out what I was doing wrong.  I wasn't choosing the "Custom Installation" on the Post Installer.   Once I did that it now boots straight to the hard drive.

Thanks so much for your help Chris!

Have a great evening.

• Like 1

I figured out what I was doing wrong.  I wasn't choosing the "Custom Installation" on the Post Installer.   Once I did that it now boots straight to the hard drive.

Thanks so much for your help Chris!

Have a great evening.

Great !

Enjoy  :D Thanks 

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply. 

I did find a DSDT.aml from on a forum somewhere, and dropped it into the folder you mentioned however it still results in a blank screen(goes to power save). Are there any configurations to be made to point the EFI to look at the DSDT.aml file?

I have tried a DVI to VGA and also a direct HDMI connection to the monitor. 

Thank you

Brad

Questions;

1. Any particular reason you went with a fan less graphics card?

2. My P690 has similar specs as the guide. I have not decided on the graphics card just yet, but it will be an Nvidia GT 610 or GT 730. Will my build be successful using the standard hard drives that are currently installed? I know an SSD would be faster, but not in the budget.

SPECS

• 2 - Dual Core Xeon Proc 5130 2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz
  • 4 - 300 GB Seagate SATA Hard Drives
  • 12 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667M FDB

Thank you,

Chris

Questions;

1. Any particular reason you went with a fan less graphics card?

2. My P690 has similar specs as the guide. I have not decided on the graphics card just yet, but it will be an Nvidia GT 610 or GT 730. Will my build be successful using the standard hard drives that are currently installed? I know an SSD would be faster, but not in the budget.

No reason for the Graphics card

Standard drive works.

The boot 0 errors are not very common on an SSD

• 2 weeks later...

El Capitan GM Candidate

:thumbsup_anim: Clover Dell Precision 690- V2 :thumbsup_anim: 

all the credit goes to chris1111 really big thanks

Hi Can you help me to install yosemite In my z800 ? I try with many boot loaders and i haven't any success Now I am in mavericks 10 9 1

Compatible VIDEO cards

Chris,

I have one more question for you.   Is there a list of compatible video cards that work out of the box with the V3 installer?   The video card I am using at the moment is a Radeon 5770 that worked straight away with your installer.

I am about to purchase another Precision 690 and wanted the CHEAPEST video card I can get that will work out of the box.   Any suggestions?

Thanks again for your help and all of your great work.

Eric

Compatible VIDEO cards

Chris,

I have one more question for you.   Is there a list of compatible video cards that work out of the box with the V3 installer?   The video card I am using at the moment is a Radeon 5770 that worked straight away with your installer.

I am about to purchase another Precision 690 and wanted the CHEAPEST video card I can get that will work out of the box.   Any suggestions?

Thanks again for your help and all of your great work.

Eric

See the wiki  :)

• 4 weeks later...

Big Upgrade today with in my Workstation  :)

Changing my two Xeons E5335 for the Xeons X5355 2.66 Ghz 

Upgrade 32 Gig of Ram and ad TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900

My previous Geekbench score is 6400 

Now  10402   :D  :w00t:  :thumbsup_anim: 

I  am really surprise to the performance of this PC  B) 

bench110.png

pics110.jpg

• Like 1

Je suis desolee pour ma francais terrible.  Premierement, merci pour cet installer.  C'etait tres facile a installer en ma T7400.  Mon succes avec des autres outils pour Mountain Lion et Mavericks etait la moins de votre outil.  Malheureusement, mon install hier precede votre dernier Clover amelioration aujourd'hui (V4).  Neanmoins, je suis tres impressionne.

Aside from writing to say how awesome this install package is, I also had the same problem as mbrossbross who had the ethernet issue on his T7400.  Chris - I tried the DSDT you posted for mbrossbross on top of my V3 installation, and then it wasn't able to boot at all.  It basically got halfway through the boot process then restarted.  I'm guessing it is related to my video card (eVGA GT 740 SC), which is detected with the correct name with the default DSDT, but shows 0 MB of VRAM.  From system.log, it looks like on the times it was restarting, it was correctly identifying the video card and VRAM, so maybe that has something to do with it.

mbrossbross - did you have any luck with that DSDT?

Thanks!

Je suis desolee pour ma francais terrible.  Premierement, merci pour cet installer.  C'etait tres facile a installer en ma T7400.  Mon succes avec des autres outils pour Mountain Lion et Mavericks etait la moins de votre outil.  Malheureusement, mon install hier precede votre dernier Clover amelioration aujourd'hui (V4).  Neanmoins, je suis tres impressionne.

Aside from writing to say how awesome this install package is, I also had the same problem as mbrossbross who had the ethernet issue on his T7400.  Chris - I tried the DSDT you posted for mbrossbross on top of my V3 installation, and then it wasn't able to boot at all.  It basically got halfway through the boot process then restarted.  I'm guessing it is related to my video card (eVGA GT 740 SC), which is detected with the correct name with the default DSDT, but shows 0 MB of VRAM.  From system.log, it looks like on the times it was restarting, it was correctly identifying the video card and VRAM, so maybe that has something to do with it.

mbrossbross - did you have any luck with that DSDT?

Thanks!

I dont think its about the dsdt

I think its only about the Inject Invidia inside config.plist

Try to set like this

<key>Graphics</key>

<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Intel</key>
<false/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<false/>
</dict>

Thanks Chris!  Sorry - maybe I wasn't clear.  My issue was not as much about the NVidia card, but that I can't get the network card working (or a few other things).  Seems like the graphics work okay with changing injection as you mentioned, installing the web driver, and just using the built-in OS X driver.

Do you have any idea why I can boot fine with the DSDT installed with a fresh install, but when I use the DSDT you provided to mbrossbross, it can't boot at all?  It just crashes somewhere in the process, and appears to be related to the graphics card.  I have not had success with the standard NVidia flags like nv_disable=1 or nvda_drv=1 (or 0).

Any advice?

Tried the V4 installer with 10.11.2 on my T7400 and it installed perfectly as before.  Again, no audio (integrated Analog Devices ADI 198x) or network (Broadcom 5754).  I can live without the audio - does anyone have a working kext for 10.11 for the BCM5754?

Thanks!

For any other T7400 users out there, here's the scoop:

1. Install using the 690 installer as described, works with 10.11.1 or 10.11.2.

2. Initially, almost everything is working except for the Broadcom 5754, which is detected, but will always say the cable is unplugged.  I tried several versions of BCM5722D.kext (1.0, 1.3, 2.3.5; and 2.3.5 is the one installed with this installer), but none of them worked.  Some did the same thing (cable unplugged) and some would see the cable attached and wouldn't be able to pull an IP nor work with one manually assigned.

- My video card worked out of the box: eVGA GT 740 SC (dual DVI), although it shows 0 MB VRAM in System Report (it has 2 GB, and it works fine, but this is what it says).  I didn't try to install the NVIDIA web driver or the CUDA driver since it seems to be working.

- Audio seems like it kind of worked, but would stop working suddenly too, so I installed Voodoo 2.8.8 (2.8.2 was installed by the installer) and seems like it's working a little better.

3. Tried the DSDT posted above for the other T7400 user, but that just makes it unable to boot until I restore the one installed with the installer.

4. Other issues:

- PCI cards are not detected at all!  I tried two (2) PCI network cards, and one PCIe network card, and none of them were detected by the OS at all even though the BIOS and Windows saw them fine.  It appears that any PCI or PCIe cards that are NOT video cards are NOT detected at all (System Report shows no PCI cards) - for some reason the PCIe slots work fine for video cards (I tried mine in both).

- I used a USB --> 10/100 ethernet adapter, and it worked perfectly out of the box.

So at this point, it works well enough for my purposes - I don't need any special PCI/PCIe cards, though I would prefer gigabit ethernet (and haven't bought a USB one yet).

I hope this helps anyone with a T7400 who is trying to set up OS X, particularly El Capitan.  It was sort of a struggle to get to this point to explain this all so simply, but now works great.  If anyone knows how to solve the PCI issues, I'd be happy to hear it and/or test it out for everyone else too.

Thank you Chris for the installer!!

• Like 1

For any other T7400 users out there, here's the scoop:

1. Install using the 690 installer as described, works with 10.11.1 or 10.11.2.

2. Initially, almost everything is working except for the Broadcom 5754, which is detected, but will always say the cable is unplugged.  I tried several versions of BCM5722D.kext (1.0, 1.3, 2.3.5; and 2.3.5 is the one installed with this installer), but none of them worked.  Some did the same thing (cable unplugged) and some would see the cable attached and wouldn't be able to pull an IP nor work with one manually assigned.

- My video card worked out of the box: eVGA GT 740 SC (dual DVI), although it shows 0 MB VRAM in System Report (it has 2 GB, and it works fine, but this is what it says).  I didn't try to install the NVIDIA web driver or the CUDA driver since it seems to be working.

- Audio seems like it kind of worked, but would stop working suddenly too, so I installed Voodoo 2.8.8 (2.8.2 was installed by the installer) and seems like it's working a little better.

3. Tried the DSDT posted above for the other T7400 user, but that just makes it unable to boot until I restore the one installed with the installer.

4. Other issues:

- PCI cards are not detected at all!  I tried two (2) PCI network cards, and one PCIe network card, and none of them were detected by the OS at all even though the BIOS and Windows saw them fine.  It appears that any PCI or PCIe cards that are NOT video cards are NOT detected at all (System Report shows no PCI cards) - for some reason the PCIe slots work fine for video cards (I tried mine in both).

- I used a USB --> 10/100 ethernet adapter, and it worked perfectly out of the box.

So at this point, it works well enough for my purposes - I don't need any special PCI/PCIe cards, though I would prefer gigabit ethernet (and haven't bought a USB one yet).

I hope this helps anyone with a T7400 who is trying to set up OS X, particularly El Capitan.  It was sort of a struggle to get to this point to explain this all so simply, but now works great.  If anyone knows how to solve the PCI issues, I'd be happy to hear it and/or test it out for everyone else too.

Thank you Chris for the installer!!

Did you try the  TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 ?

For the network I going to check for you 

Thanks for sharing this info  :)

I tried several versions of BCM5722D.kext (1.0, 1.3, 2.3.5; and 2.3.5 is the one installed with this installer), but none of them worked.  

Try the attaching  kext on Clover / kexts

if its not working, you  can try to put the kext on System Library Extensions 

Or if its not working again  put the kext on the  content / plugins

of the IonetworkingFamilly.kext 

• 2 weeks later...

The big thanks from Georgia, you're genius Chriss,

Follow your instruction and this is what I get

My hardware list:

- Dell Precision T5400

- 16GB DDR2 RAM

- Geforce 740 SC

- 120GB SSD

But I still have another question, I'm using NIC D-Link DGE-530T more detail here with driver for Mac files included (I attached in this reply). I run the driver file and restart my computer, I have had "Not Connected" status in Ethernet. How can I fix it?

Any help will be appreciated,

RTGNICv2.0.6.pkg.zip

• Like 1