Fix: Samsung SSDs freezing when TRIM is enabled

1 post in this topic

Hello everybody! After several times trying to install OS X Yosemite on my Samsung SSD 840 evo, I finally figured out how solve a problem that many people are having: The system UI freezes, out of the blue!

Requirements:

• 1- OS X 10.10.4+
    2- Samsung SSD (830 or newer)
    3- A CD or Pendrive.

WARNING: DON'T FOLLOW THIS TUTORIAL IF YOU AREN'T FACING ANY ISSUE WITH YOUR SSD!
WARNING 2: WHEN FLASHING A FIRMWARE ON YOUR SSD, YOU NEED TO KEEP IN YOUR MIND THAT YOU CAN MESS YOUR SSD UP!

WARNING 3: I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY IF YOUR COMPUTER BLOWS UP, OR ANYTHING ELSE!

HOW TO:

First step: Do a clean installation, and configure all your hardware, but DON'T enable trim!

Second step: This step is optional, but very recommended. We are going to update our ssd firmware with the latest from samsung, that is already modified for MAC. This step only works on 830, 840, 840 Pro & 840 Evo; since only these devices have a firmware update on samsung's website.

So, go to samsung's download site, and scroll down until you see the MAC download session.

XagZSfG.png

Then download the firmware for your ssd model, and save somewhere.

Now open disk utility, select your pendrive/CD and restore the iso to your device.

xdx22JY.png

OK, now restart your computer and then boot into the device you restored. (Legacy mode, so, enable CSM)
Follow all the DOS steps, and when it finish, restart your pc.

Third step: Now open your terminal, and paste this command:

$ sudo trimforce enable

Restart your pc again, and look into About This Mac > System Report > SATA/SATA Express
Then, select your ssd and look the description if trim is enabled.

1xdB4pW.png

Now, it should work with any problem! Any question, just ask!  ;)