Changing System Definition and iMessage/blacklisting

davpel

3 posts in this topic

I am running Yosemite with a i7 4770K, Gigabyte x97 Gaming 5 mobo and a EVGA GTX 970 using Clover. When I first set up this rig, I used iMac 14,2 as my system definition initially, but I changed to 3,1 in order to install the Nvidia web drivers. For a while, I kept the 3,1 definition since everything was running flawlessly. Then I got greedy.

I had read anecdotal comments about greatly improved performance using a more modern system definition, so I changed back to iMac 14,2. Now my Hackintosh spontaneously reboots itself at least once per day. I would like to revert back to 3,1, but I have some concerns about the impact of this change on iMessage and the possible blacklisting of my machine by Apple.

My understanding is that when you make a change to the system definition, you must generate a new serial number compatible with that build, along with a new board serial and RT variables, etc. If this is accurate, that will mean I will have to reauthorize iMessage, Facetime, etc.

This would be the third time that I have changed serial numbers, etc., over the past few weeks and I am very concerned that this will result in Apple blacklisting me for purposes of iMessage or even iCloud or my App Store ID. I have seen references to blacklisting several places, including in this excellent Reddit guide for  setting up iMessage: 

http://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/2wohwn/getting_imessage_working_on_10102_generating/

Any input on this issue would be greatly appreciated. 

It is always good practice to log out of all Apple Services i.e. iTune (De-Authorize this p/c), iCloud, App Store, iMessage and F/Time before you make any changes to the ID of your Hack like system def or S/Ns. Also make the changes off line. The reason is, if you don't you'll be leaving behind a ghost machine still logged into the Apple Servers and they only allow so many macs against your ID ( too many and your ID will be flagged) unless you are running a business - hope this helps.

It is always good practice to log out of all Apple Services i.e. iTune (De-Authorize this p/c), iCloud, App Store, iMessage and F/Time before you make any changes to the ID of your Hack like system def or S/Ns. Also make the changes off line. The reason is, if you don't you'll be leaving behind a ghost machine still logged into the Apple Servers and they only allow so many macs against your ID ( too many and your ID will be flagged) unless you are running a business - hope this helps.

Thanks. That does help and I will take your suggestion when I go back to 3,1.