in information about this mac, serial is not unavailable

4 posts in this topic

Did you not give it one during install or is it just not appearing?  Do you have iMessage and FaceTime working correctly?

In the off chance you or someone else needs this info, I'm just going to throw it out there:

Regardless of which boot loader you choose to use, I'd also find and use Chameleon Wizard to generate the needed serial and UUID.  I used version 4.4.1 in Yosemite.

1.  Launch Chameleon Wizard.

2.  Select the SMBios tab.

3.  click "edit" in upper right hand corner

*   Pick a Mac model that matches your hardware the closest.  (edit:forgot this step)

4.  Generate a random week of manufacture & unique number

4.  Copy Paste the resulting serial number into selfsolve.apple.com

5.  Verify the serial is not black listed or already registered by Apple by receiving the following message ONLY:

"We're sorry, the number you have provided cannot be found in our records. Please verify the number and try again, or contact us"

Repeat if needed.

6.  Write down your serial number.  For your board serial number, just add any 5 alpha numeric characters at the end of your serial number.

7.  Generate your UUID by using the "uuidgen" command in OS X Terminal... no command line flags.  I did it several times before writing it down.

With these three identifiers:  serial number, board serial number, and UUID you will be able to use your config.plist configurator for whatever boot loader you are using.  I use Clover.  

Edited by aduffbrew

This method does work... extremely well.  You will need to provide more detail for someone to help you.

What hardware configuration are you using?

What installation method/boot loader are you using?

Exactly where along the process did you run into trouble?

The more detailed the information you provide, the better chance someone can pinpoint what's going wrong.