Disabling dedicated GPU in ACPI on a desktop

jamiethemorris

13 posts in this topic

So I really want to get a GTX 970 or 980 for gaming in Windows. As we all know, currently Maxwell does not work in Mavericks and is broken in Yosemite. I would like to keep my computer on Mavericks until 10.10.3 at least for stability reasons. My idea is to use my 6850 in the first slot and use that for Mavericks, and keep the Maxwell card in the second slot and only use it for Windows. The Nvidia card would be disabled through DSDT in OS X, and the 6850 would be disabled in Windows through device manager.

I decided to test if this would be a viable option by putting an old 8800GT in my second slot to see if I could get it to work. So far, I have tried using Name (_STA, Zero) to disable the card, but when I do that IOReg just names it to something else and keeps it enabled. I wanted to try using the function disable register, but the one in my DSDT doesn't have any options for disabling any PCI-E slots, I only have the option of disabling root ports and a few other devices. I even tried copying the _OFF method from some nvidia optimus notebook's ssdt and using that, but I couldn't get that to work either.

Any suggestions? I have attached my current attempt at it, which is just using Name (_STA, Zero) to disable it from SSDT.

jamiethemorris_DSDT_SSDT-4.zip

_SB.PCI0.PEG1._OFF

or 

Notify (\_SB.PCI0.PEG1, Zero)

Notify (\_SB.PCI0.PEG2, Zero)

Notify (\_SB.PCI0.PEG3, Zero)

where ever your cards are... you need to find self out...

Cheers :-)

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I can't use _OFF since my PCI slots don't have an _ON or _OFF method, but I haven't tried Notify Zero. Do I just put that under the PCIE device (in my case, PEG1 is what I want to disable) or do I put it in _INI or something?

Its not broken under 10.10. You need to use Nvidia Retail Driver BETA. Works fine. 

I use quicklook a lot to preview audio files, and I thought that was still broken because OpenCL isn't working yet. Has that been fixed? Also I want to stay on Mavericks for a little bit. With this computer I usually wait until the .3 update to move to the next version of OS X. However if the OpenCL thing has been fixed, I might consider updating early.

that´s a lot of preciousness, mate.

update it already. 

A lot of the software I rely on is not working for many people. I will be testing it on a separate drive to see if I can get it to work, but I don't think it's a good idea to take the plunge right away. Audio software seems to be problematic with OS updates, especially when you have like 200 plugins.

Don't blame the os. Call out the software companies for being cheap...

I agree, it's no the OS at all, totally the software companies being cheap (and some hardware in my case, Native Instruments hardware isn't working on Yosemite for a lot of people). The whole point of the developer previews is so that the companies can prepare their products for the final release... And yet they don't. Pro Tools is probably the biggest offender with this. But regardless that's the situation so I kind of just have to deal with it on my main machine. The others will be running Yosemite as soon as it's released.

Waiting until the .3 update is pretty standard for sound engineers and the like.

• 2 weeks later...