Nvidia Web Driver updates for Yosemite [UPDATE: 07/21/2017]

fantomas

670 posts in this topic

No NVDAStartupWeb.kext, it's the NVDAStartup.kext that controls the driver.

Gratvador, try to add -v to your boot arguments for verbose startup, there you'll see a line reading either "NVDA_STARTUP:Official (Forced)" or "NVDA_STARTUP:Web".

hi guys

sorry I did not follow, but what's the story between NVDAStartupWeb.kext and NVDAStartup.kext?

if you have an old version of web driver (NVDAStartupWeb.kext) and then install a new OS X update, well NVDAStartup.kext (vanilla driver) will override NVDAStartupWeb.kext... so it’s normal that you don’t see it anymore after the update.

Had the same issue with buildnumber of 10.10.5 changing to 14F1012 after a minor update, managed to fix it by reverting to the normal 10.10.5 buildnumber in /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

//edit: after that change the nvidia drivers worked without changing the kext

Had the same issue with buildnumber of 10.10.5 changing to 14F1012 after a minor update, managed to fix it by reverting to the normal 10.10.5 buildnumber in /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

//edit: after that change the nvidia drivers worked without changing the kext

Hi,

maybe "dirty" solution but it works and restore usability during waiting for update if any. :thumbsup_anim:

Another update for Yosemite, this time the build number will apparently be 14F1017. (info gleaned from SecUpd2015-004YosemiteSeed.pkm, Apple's site has no information on this update at all.)

I can confirm and again driver is dead.

Will do the OS X change number trick  ^_^

…and works :P

Just one question for experts: why Nvidia drivers are made so much dependent of the system numbering?

The above modification demonstrates that in many cases, there is no change in the fundamentals of the system and therefore in kernel extensions, so why a so tiny check build in the driver?

Another update for Yosemite, this time the build number will apparently be 14F1017. (info gleaned from SecUpd2015-004YosemiteSeed.pkm, Apple's site has no information on this update at all.)

I can only assume its the beta updates, Apples information concerning updates is usually very poor so I assume that they dont communicate anything about the beta's

Changing the buildnumber back to the stable version didnt seem to negatively affect my system or software so far and its easier then changing the check in the nvidia driver.

I can confirm and again driver is dead.

Will do the OS X change number trick  ^_^

…and works :P

Just one question for experts: why Nvidia drivers are made so much dependent of the system numbering?

The above modification demonstrates that in many cases, there is no change in the fundamentals of the system and therefore in kernel extensions, so why a so tiny check build in the driver?

Conversely, what if there was a change in the binary interfaces that the driver depends on from one build to the next?  For example, what if Apple added something to one of the structures that the driver used, and the change caused the old driver to crash or panic?

You are correct in that most of the time, these minor updates don't break anything and the old driver could work fine.  NVIDIA seems to be protecting themselves from the alternative when there is something that would break the driver, and they just ship a new driver build for the new OS version when it is released.  FWIW I don't see the 14F1017 security update, I'm on 14F27 with no available updates via the App Store.

Conversely, what if there was a change in the binary interfaces that the driver depends on from one build to the next?  For example, what if Apple added something to one of the structures that the driver used, and the change caused the old driver to crash or panic?

FWIW I don't see the 14F1017 security update, I'm on 14F27 with no available updates via the App Store.

If the crash case occurs, there are some ways to disable the driver at boot and restore a stable solution. Profound changes are not so probable in major system versions… So this strict Nvidia system number control is quite annoying in fact…

By the way I got two updates in few days respectively 1012 and now 1017 on both my Mac Pro as well as my MacBook Pro retina. But as a registered beta tester, maybe these two things are linked?

If the crash case occurs, there are some ways to disable the driver at boot and restore a stable solution. Profound changes are not so probable in major system versions… So this strict Nvidia system number control is quite annoying in fact…

By the way I got two updates in few days respectively 1012 and now 1017 on both my Mac Pro as well as my MacBook Pro retina. But as a registered beta tester, maybe these two things are linked?

It's a tradeoff between completely avoiding problems (and the associated increase in support calls to deal with all the people who are calling in to complain that their system is crashing) versus the annoyance you're feeling due to having to keep installing new drivers when they bump the OS version for a security update.  Note that these OS version number changes are fairly new, I don't remember them revving one specific OS (e.g. 10.10.5) so many times in the past.

If you don't like it, file a bug against NVIDIA.  Or, just hack your driver to remove the version check, it's not like it's terribly difficult to do that.

Or, just hack your driver to remove the version check, it's not like it's terribly difficult to do that.

Hi, the problem is that I have tried to hack the driver but curiously no way to activate it.  Don't understand why but that's a fact… Only the hack of system version number works…

Hi, the problem is that I have tried to hack the driver but curiously no way to activate it.  Don't understand why but that's a fact… Only the hack of system version number works…

Sorry, I should've said "hack the version check to match", i.e. change the baked-in version number in the driver's Info.plist to match the version you are using.  If you're proficient enough to do that, then you're proficient enough to deal with any incompatibility that might arise from running a driver from the wrong OS version (which might result in kernel panics or application crashes etc).

Sorry, I should've said "hack the version check to match", i.e. change the baked-in version number in the driver's Info.plist to match the version you are using.  If you're proficient enough to do that, then you're proficient enough to deal with any incompatibility that might arise from running a driver from the wrong OS version (which might result in kernel panics or application crashes etc).

I have tried the modification of  /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartup.kext/Contents/Info.plist… In the present case, I was able to restore the "activation" of the control panel and menu to choose web driver or OS X driver but selecting web driver does… …nothing even after reboot ans so on :blush:

I have also used Nvidia_Installer_AutoPacher.app to be able to re-install driver before modifying again without more success…

Only modifying OS X number version does the job. Clearly not the best solution, but at least a solution until the right driver comes out…

cwestpha,

I am OS X 10.10.1 on a Mac Pro 2,1 "Installed using SFOTT", I was told the GTX 570 HD was plug and play, but I had installed and I was getting just a black screen until I found the modded drivers from Fantomas1,   

Hello guys. 

I have been searching and trying like crazy here and would need some help before I give up.

Is there any way to get a Mac Pro 2.1 to work with a GTX 570Ti on Yosemite 10.10? 

I cannot find any drivers that are Supported by the system. I have tried a couple from the first page. The user Dogma36 seems to have made it work?

Thanks in advance.

it depends of what your gtx570 device-id is...

all GTX570 with device-id 0x108110DE  are "plug and play"

all GTX570 with device-id 0x108610DE will get a black screen... but you can get them work with Clover FakeID (0x108110DE) or with nvidia web drivers.

if you want to find which web driver is supported by your system, you can use NVIDIA Web Driver Updater

it depends of what your gtx570 device-id is...

all GTX570 with device-id 0x108110DE  are "plug and play"

all GTX570 with device-id 0x108610DE will get a black screen... but you can get them work with Clover FakeID (0x108110DE) or with nvidia web drivers.

if you want to find which web driver is supported by your system, you can use NVIDIA Web Driver Updater

Thank you very much for your respond sir. Although, I realized I have misstyped a number in the post, my bad, it is a GTX560Ti I have (and not the 570) and I found out my device Id which is 0x1200 10DE. 

Then this might sound very silly, but I could never believe there was such thing as "plug and play" with this type of card with an old Mac Pro, so I had actually not tried that, I have only struggled to find a proper drive before I tried. But now I did try and everything just worked great, it booted right away with no graphic issues at all. I am mindblowned. Sorry for taking your valuable time, I will now go to a corner in my room, stare in the wall for some time , perhaps bounce my head a couple of times and feel stupid and ashamed. :D

I did use the Nvidia Web Driver Updater before the switch and updated the current driver to the latest for Yosemite, which might helped. Thank you very much. 

• Like 1

Something funky is going on. I installed the security update today, and changed the system version string inside NVDAStartup.kext, and got the webdriver to load. But, if I go to system report to see what's loaded, I see this:post-1514600-0-45711500-1445540039_thumb.png

Clues?

(boot-args    kext-dev-mode=1 -v nvda_drv=1)