Reinstall OS X from Recovery HD

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

As some of you already figured out, since several revisions of OS X, there is now a recovery partition available to re-install OS X.

Honestly spoken, before today, I did not take much care about it, since I always had a handy USB stick "in case of emergency".

... however, with the upcoming Yosemite installer, this Recovery HD will automatically be created, even if you manually partition your HDD beforehand. Therefore, I tought, why not trying to see if we can use it.

-> Booting it was pretty easy, however when I select "Re-install OS X" I always get the message "This is not a supported method of installing the operating system", and this also with my regular 10.9.5 installation.

I am pretty sure that this will trigger the download of the InstallESD (and my net access is working, in case you ask), but I am pretty sure I am missing something here.

Has anyone of you managed to have this stuff work?

Do you need some special magic in the DSDT and/or NVRAM to make it work?

Booting is not a problem... I can access the dialog with the "OS X Utilities".

However, when I select "Reinstall OS X", I see the installer dialog showing up, but when an alert sheet containing this message.

...or have I missed your post ?

PS: My system definition is a MP5,1 as this is what approches the most from my hardware (6 core i7 on x58 chipset)

I just tried with an iMac14,2 system identifier (see attached smbios.plist), and I have the same effect.

SMBios.plist.zip

Booting is not a problem... I can access the dialog with the "OS X Utilities".

However, when I select "Reinstall OS X", I see the installer dialog showing up, but when an alert sheet containing this message.

...or have I missed your post ?

PS: My system definition is a MP5,1 as this is what approches the most from my hardware (6 core i7 on x58 chipset)

I just tried with an iMac14,2 system identifier (see attached smbios.plist), and I have the same effect.

No clue all I know is what it does on mine that is what I get with changed definition.