Boot loop while attempting to install ML from a USB MicroSD card reader?

SZ87

1 post in this topic

I'll attempt to keep this short and sweet.

My specs:

MOBO - ASRock 970 Extreme3

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 B.E.

RAM - 8GB

GPU - Gigabyte GTX 550 TI

HDD 1 - 1TB (2 partitions: Windows 8.1 OS/Data respectively. Formatted and partitioned as MBR/NTFS) [Primary boot drive]

HDD 2 - 500GB (Formatted and partitioned as GPT/HFS+ ready for ML) [Will (hopefully) eventually be secondary boot drive]

My issue:

I've been trying to use Niresh's 10.8.5 for AMD distro/guide (by using TransMac to place the image onto the SD card,) however I'm getting a boot loop upon selecting the desired HDD in Chimera.

Step 1 - SATA as AHCI - Check

Step 2 - ACPI as S3 (suspend to ram) - Check

Step 3 - Legacy USB support - Check

Step 4 - UEFI boot off/disabled - Check

Step 5 - Boot from USB - Success

Step 6 - Select destination - Boot loop

I've followed the provided guide to-the-T, yet it's all been futile. What are my exact steps and is this possible to do using a USB MicroSD card reader? I do have a separate 4GB flash drive, but ML doesn't fit. If possible, maybe I can install Lion and upgrade to Mountain Lion afterwards from within Lion? That is, of course, if I must use my 4GB flash drive and the USB SD card reader is the cause of all these problems.

In other words, everyone's situation is unique, so what steps should I be following based on my available peripherals and specs above?

I appreciate all of your help. If you need more information, please ask and I'll provide it the best I can.

EDIT: Corrected partition/format type of HDD 2.