CONFIRMED working GFX cards (@60Hz, 4K) with Dell U3214Q?

letbeaman

7 posts in this topic

Hi

I've read a lot of threads about people that have got problems with various GFX cards trying to run 4K mode at 60Hz via MST

I haven't seen any threads where people say it's working fine :-/

I have a 31.5" Dell U3214Q, and plan to build a hackintosh to use it with

I haven't bought the GFX card yet, but want to buy one that I know will work at 60hz in 4K mode. I think the choices are realistically HD 7950, R9 270 or GTX 660 or higher

Can somebody help me out here?

Thanks!

none of those cards are 4k gaming worthy imho :P

you need to move up to 384bit cards for anything usable in gaming, 280X / 780 or better

of the ones listed the 270 is your best choice but you might want to step up to 270X to get a little more out of it.

Thanks

I'm not interested in gaming - just lots of screen real estate for browsers and development

@aphex6b did you need to use the NVidia Web Drivers? which versions? which monitor are you using? and how are you connecting to it? (HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort?)

I'm personally more inclined towards the Radeon 7950, because I know there are Mac specific cards with these GPUs, so driver support should be built into everything from ML upwards

Thanks

I'm not interested in gaming - just lots of screen real estate for browsers and development

@aphex6b did you need to use the NVidia Web Drivers? which versions? which monitor are you using? and how are you connecting to it? (HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort?)

I'm personally more inclined towards the Radeon 7950, because I know there are Mac specific cards with these GPUs, so driver support should be built into everything from ML upwards

i got the ProLite B2888UHSU.. I run a Dell alongside in portrait 1440x2560.. But since the 3214Q got DP 1.2 (right?) it should be as easy as my experience was in getting 4k to work in 60HZ. That is when using NVIDIA.. last time i messed around with ATI was the HD5870 days.. The web drivers are not needed, the one Apple provides work fine..

Yes, the U3214Q has got DisplayPort 1.2. I've read a bunch of horror stories about people trying to get GFX cards working in MST mode to support 60Hz :-/

I've ordered an R9 280X - from what I've read, the 280X works out of the box and identifies itself as an HD 7970 in OS X

I'll report back here on whether or not it all goes together smoothly...

• Like 1