Workstation GPU on Yosemite

Mettiu

5 posts in this topic

With X99 arriving soon, I am thinking about building a hi-end machine equipped with a 5960X, lots of RAM and a workstation GPU, like an AMD FirePro W7000 or a newer W8100.
Since Yosemite comes with new AMD drivers, I was wondering whether these cards could work OOB or with minor tweaks to the kexts.
It will be quite an expensive build, and I am considering as well as to go directly for a legit MacPro, though there are many parts of it which I don't like at all (like that I have to externalize all my ssds, hdds).

Please don't come to suggest me a gaming-class GPU instead, because it is not what I need.

I found almost no informations about this on the internet, I hope someone can give me a help here!
Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

We don't know how long will it take to Apple to support X99. I'd suggest you go nMP for first class costumer support, specially if you're a pro with an already busy working schedule. If you are to try a hackintosh, it won't be because of price, because the nMP is quite competitively priced this time, but perhaps because you have a CUDA-based workflow, or will get the job done with prosumer hardware, and in this case the price/performance top spot is all hackintosh, with Ivy-E i7 CPUs and the GTX 780 ti or the Titan being the obvious choice. Simply google "rampagedev".

You are right, I was assuming X99 to work with Yosemite, which may cause instead several problems as well.
Yes, the 2013 MacPro is not expensive for what it offers, and I am anyway thinking about a similar price range for my eventual build. The point is that it does not offer what I exactly need, as I would prefer a single GPU with plenty of VRAM. The applications I use (like Maya) would greatly benefit of a FirePro Wseries compared to Quadro or GTX 780Ti or Titan, while the rendering software I have chosen, Maxwell Render, is CPU-based and it would doubtless speed up thanks to the double threaded 8 cores of the 5960X.

To buy the components I exactly need and to work in Windows would be then another option, although I really like OS X, which I have been using for years both on legit iMacs, MacBookPro and hackintoshes..

• 4 weeks later...