Lenovo Thinkpad x220 - 10.9.5 pack and info

sot_22

39 posts in this topic

*update 5-7-2015 x220 bios update 1.40 no whitelist - pm patched : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/299568-lenovo-thinkpad-x220-1095-pack-and-info/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2150898

*insanelymac probably crashed and lost my files, now reuploaded and back online.

---------------

Hi, here is a bios/kext/dsdt/ssdt pack and info for thinkpad x220 osx 10.9.5 / 10.10.1 MacBookPro8,1 (updated 1-11-2014  23-1-2015)

[any questions please post in thread so anyone can see and help and not thru pm]

i really like this laptop, my previous laptop was a thinkpad too (R51), except trackpad (this thing gets deeper when you press it! there is a gap there, very annoying (modded to stay top/clickpad disabled) ,monitor (i dont have the ips version) and speakers quality (it's a business laptop after all) but make a great small hackintosh!

99,9% everything works including battery/audio/sleep/wake, except sdcard,vga port, DP/HDMI audio not tested but must work (if not there are a lot of methods and guides about further audio experiments please search and you will find... )

my specs : (x220 type 4291-AN9)  i5 2520m - HD 3000 id 0x0126 - wifi Dell DW1515 - 8gb ram - 128gb ssd - bios version 1.39 - LCD 1366x768

i use Clover but Chameleon works great too, attached is a config.plist for Clover but its easy to figure out the Chameleon equivalent, 

excellent Chameleon Wizard by janek202 used to generate serial number :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/257464-chameleon-wizard-utility-for-chameleon/

use it and put your serial on config.plist

bios settings :

Drop DMAR like in config.plist or disable vt-d virtualization in bios

AHCI mode

memory protection enabled 

/zip content/

post : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/299568-lenovo-thinkpad-x220-1095-pack-and-info/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2150898

x220_140_NWL_PM.zip

extract the zip and run FLASH.bat within windows 7 (win 8 not tested) 

i flashed it over the 1.39 bios posted below and works

*dsdt not updated yet for new bios but the old works ok

--------

bios Version : 1.40-1.24 UEFI: 1.40 / ECP: 1.24

[important] Mitigate risk of security vulnerability related to DRAM Row Hammering.

--------

*Whitelist removal by Serg008 (forums.mydigitallife.info) and pm patched with CodeRush UEFIPatch

--------

official bios : http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds018805

x220bios139.zip :

original BIOS 1.39

BIOS 1.39 whitelist patched by Serg008 (http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/5866-LENOVO-(IBM)-Bioses-especially-Thinkpad?p=788406&viewfull=1#post788406) and pmpatched with CodeRush pmpatch utility

bios flashed within win 7 dont know if it works right on win 8 and i dont want to find out :) ]

*before install a new mac compatible wifi card on laptop flash the original bios 8duj25us.exe from biosx220_139.zip,

reboot then flash with FLASH.bat the patched bios from bios_pmpatch_wl.zip 

Clover 2976 : http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Installer/

wiki : http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Home

*i'm using mbr/legacy boot with "CloverEFI 64-bits using Bios Block I/O to access drives" install option 

but the config.plist is no different with uefi boot , there are a lot of guides for main installation of osx/usb creation please search the forum, x220 doesnt require any special treatment

clover.zip :

ACPI/patched directory (DSDT with EDID and another without EDID info, rename the dsdt you want to DSDT.aml and use that - i think it works with all x220 independent of cpu type)

config.plist with my options for ssd trim etc..

edit it for your own needs and (change <mac> below to your hdd/mac partition name) :

<key>DefaultVolume</key>

<string>mac</string>

drivers64UEFI directory for clover 2976

DSDT made from scratch for x220 based on above 1.39 bios with fixes :

battery edits
edid 1366x768 lcd 60hz/50hz
thinkvantage button turns fan one step less than max
ACPIBacklight edits
LCD brightness
various other edits + IGPU,HDEF layout id 0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,usb,irq edits and clover inserts
edited to work with RehabMan Voodoo PS/2 Controller + tluck T420 kext settings

ssdt (only with i5 2520m)

normal ssdt (i5 2520m) - PStatesReached: 8 12 16 21 25 30 32 

power saving ssdt (i5 2520m) for cooler laptop and better battery life - PStatesReached: 8 10 13 15 18 21 23 

*if you dont have the same cpu 

make your own with https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh by Piker-Alpha

kexts.zip :

FakeSMC (6.9.1315 version included
or
FakeSMC 3.3.1 

Voodoo PS/2 Controller
https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller          (1.8.13 version with 29-10-2014 tluck settings included - only kext see install info from link)

ACPI Battery Driver
https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Battery-Driver                (1.53 version included

ACPIBacklight kext
https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Backlight                        (2.0.3 version included

Lan: AppleIntelE1000e (3.1.0 kext + 3.0.4.1 in zip + 2.4.14 in zip included

audio : AppleHDA.kext from tluck T420 pack, works great with x220 Conexant CX20672 (mac osx 10.9.5 version included

*credits : fraisdos125, peroxide (http://forum.thinkpads.com), tluck, manwe150, TimeWalker75, RehabMan, Piker-Alpha, Chameleon/Clover/FakeSMC programmers and all helpful hackintosh community

*icon_idea.gif if you have an external display connected and want to use only that monitor (clamshell mode) without closing the lid 

put a small magnet near right of the camera with the lid open (you can test it and with headphones small magnet),the keyboard of the laptop dont work but the trackpoint and trackpad works alright,i use this when the laptop is on dock while using external keyboard and mouse

( startup the laptop and get to osx before you go to clamshell mode or else you will see a black screen on laptop (if you remove ACPIBacklight kext you dont have this problem) - i notice some laggy osx animations on external monitor)

<see attached pics for magnet>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recommended :

*disable hibernation terminal command :  sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

*Update 1-11-2014 :  zip files (kexts,dsdt etc...) and post updated, tested for 10.9.5 (see above ^)

*quick edit

Update 23-1-2015 : zip file yosemite10_10_1.zip (its the same kexts from the previous pack except from config.plist edits and kext for patched audio, dont remove your original applehda kext from 10.10.1 it is patched on the fly by clover  (from tluck's pack

*the dsdt and the other files ssdt etc... remain the same from the 10.9.5 pack and i use clover 2988 (not the latest only because it works fine as it is)

Great install guide : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/page-25?do=findComment&comment=1952283

New ethernet driver by Miezehttp://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304235-intelmausiethernetkext-for-intel-onboard-lan/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*it is possible to use clover without EmuVariableUefi-64.efi for native nvram , if you want to test that :

set bios to boot uefi only

delete EmuVariableUefi-64.efi (or rename it - from drivers64UEFI directory on your EFI clover partition) 

delete /nvram.plist

delete /etc/rc.shutdown.d (or rename it)

reboot x2

and then do the test :

How to test NVRAM ?

Open Terminal in OS X, type:

sudo nvram MyVar=TestValue

Then type this to show the current NVRAM:

nvram -p

You will see:

MyVar   TestValue

after rebooting, type nvram –p in Terminal and if you can still see the previous result then your NVRAM is working 

to delete this value type : 

sudo nvram -d MyVar

reboot and see with nvram -p that it is not there anymore

also brightness preboot value must be the same and after boot and not revert to max brightness

if that works see below \/  (maybe uuid is not important and you can skip this step)

my nvram values after nvram -p :

psys-MacBook-Pro:~ psy$ nvram -p

fmm-computer-name psy%e2%80%99s MacBook Pro

security-mode none

SystemAudioVolumeDB %e7

platform-uuid "my number here"

SystemAudioVolume 1

backlight-level %ff%ff

acpi-backlight-level %c0%02

if you dont see platform-uuid value edit config.plist and change :

<key>InjectSystemID</key>

<true/>

to false, then reboot, then again change it to true and restart again,do this until nvram -p command (after each reboot) shows a platform-uuid value

yosemite10_10_1.zip

clover1-11-2014.zip

kexts1-11-2014.zip

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Hello , i didn't install Yosemite yet, i'm on 10.9.5 and using VoodooPS2Controller 1.8.13 from tluck's pack Clover UEFI on T420 Guide , have you try it? it works ok for me , try it from tluck cause when i try it from Rehabman site the trackpoint became jerky beyond control ... some settings must be wrong.  

ps.  i dont think i'll update soon cause i don't have much time lately and i'm tired with apple update the os all the time...it's getting worse than windows :P,  more features more bugs and some friend updated his ipad retina to ios 8.1 and it was a downgrade really..., 10.9.5 is stable and i have no use for the new main Yosemite features.

*updated kexts for 10.9.5 AppleHDA and VoodooPS2Controller 1.8.13 posted on first post

• Like 1

Hello , i didn't install Yosemite yet, i'm on 10.9.5 and using VoodooPS2Controller 1.8.13 from tluck's pack Clover UEFI on T420 Guide , have you try it? it works ok for me , try it from tluck cause when i try it from Rehabman site the trackpoint became jerky beyond control ... some settings must be wrong.  

ps.  i dont think i'll update soon cause i don't have much time lately and i'm tired with apple update the os all the time...it's getting worse than windows :P,  more features more bugs and some friend updated his ipad retina to ios 8.1 and it was a downgrade really..., 10.9.5 is stable and i have no use for the new main Yosemite features.

*updated kexts for 10.9.5 AppleHDA and VoodooPS2Controller 1.8.13 posted on first post

Thanks. 

Yes the newest VoodooPS2Controller.kext just drive x220's trackpoint crazy haha :)

I'm actually using truck's kext however I got issues in dragging and clicking, the tracepoint button often do double click for a single click operation. Have tried some elder versions the issue is still there. :(

i know you checked but are you sure you don't have any leftovers from old kexts like these here : https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/wiki/How-to-Install

in System/Library/Extensions ?

my trackpad settings are in the screenshot , i have touchpad dragging disabled cause its ok but not perfect (too sensitive,prone to mistakes),

i drag/select with left click button(above touchpad) and trackpoint, works perfect here.

post-1135813-0-39248200-1414065788_thumb.png

• Like 1

i know you checked but are you sure you don't have any leftovers from old kexts like these here : https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/wiki/How-to-Install

in System/Library/Extensions ?

my trackpad settings are in the screenshot , i have touchpad dragging disabled cause its ok but not perfect (too sensitive,prone to mistakes),

i drag/select with left click button(above touchpad) and trackpoint, works perfect here.

No, there is no old kexts left and I fully followed the install guide. I have reported the issue. I will try your packs and return to 10.9.5 and see if it works. Thanks. 

Yosemite report

alright i installed Yosemite yesterday and at first i thought it was slow with lame colors... but after some reboots and playing with it now seems faster and smoother than Mavericks , particulary the launchpad animations which on Mavericks on my external monitor 1680x1050 (with display port to dvi cable) was laggy with the screen full of icons, now the animation from page to page is butter smooth to my surprise ... they improved the gfx drivers for sure.

now the buggy stuff , Yosemite seems to be a little more cpu hungry and has a lot of bugs that shows everywhere if you look on details but its not groundbreaking and with updates i hope apple will make it more rigid experience, like some services not responding - some apps doesn't close completely - some gfx glitches on upper bar, there are some errors in console which doesn't seem to do anything but slow down the system and it appears they are on real macs too, like :

kernel[0]: BUG in process suhelperd[283]: over-released legacy external boost assertions (1 total, 1 external, 0 legacy-external)
com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent) The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.
com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.appkit.xpc.sandboxedServiceRunner) The JoinExistingSession key is only available to Application services.
com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.DataDetectorsDynamicData) The JoinExistingSession key is only available to Application services.
com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.FileSyncAgent.PHD.isRunning) The HideUntilCheckIn property is an architectural performance issue. Please transition away from it.
com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.mbloginhelper.user) This key does not do anything: OnDemand
com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.mbpluginhost.user) This key does not do anything: OnDemand
kernel[0]: BUG in process suhelperd[283]: over-released legacy external boost assertions (1 total, 1 external, 0 legacy-external)
com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.secd) This key does not do anything: OnDemand
SystemUIServer[237]: Cannot find executable for CFBundle 0x7ffd2be20090 </System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Volume.menu> (not loaded)
com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.secd) The ServiceIPC key is no longer respected. Please remove it.
com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.speech.speechsynthesisd) This key does not do anything: OnDemand
com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.TrustEvaluationAgent) This key does not do anything: OnDemand
com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent) The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.

also the scrolling and resize on Finder files/dir windows, console and Activity monitor lags more than Mavericks and consumes more cpu , especially with Finder it has to be a bug because that sux!

now the good stuff , the gfx seems running faster and smoother except some scrolling on some apps like i said above , the dsdt from the first post works great and all kexts was used except AppleHDA, i used the Clover Injection method and kext from tluck's t420 pack (works great! thanks!) + FakeSMC 6.11.1328 or Slice's version (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/299861-hwsensors-installer/) ,

touchpad and trackpoint works as it should and same as Mavericks, no problem with the Voodoo PS/2 controller from RehabMan on x220, sleep-wake and all functions run good)

I used Clover 2988 and a method for making usb installer for MBR installation (for GUID its better and easier) i just don't want to reinstall windows again (i have dual boot).

[ps. i saw some errors?! on booting Yosemite usb installer about something i don't remember :) but they didn't seem to affect anything]

The first thing i did was to remove all widgets from notifications , reduce transparency and disable opening folders animations with TinkerTool and make Appearance for buttons menus etc Graphite , now it seems like a proper OS ( ... :) ) so in all i like it for now and expect to be better in the future . Yosemite runs great on x220! but Mavericks seems lighter on cpu.

That's it i will make a little pack for Yosemite in the future but its all here really if you look.

ps. if it wasn't for the gfx performance i would revert to Mavericks as it seems more mature right now and i don't really like this ios mac os x hybrid...

post-1135813-0-22598800-1415032358_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

The only thing I can't get working is audio on my X220T/Yosemite. Everything else works great, thanks for the guide/info.

Figured it out, sort of. Had to resort to using an old, patched AppleHDA. This one worked for me: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/page-5?do=findComment&comment=1893526 Couldn't get Clover patching to work properly...

Yosemite report

alright i installed Yosemite yesterday and at first i thought it was slow with lame colors... but after some reboots and playing with it now seems faster and smoother than Mavericks , particulary the launchpad animations which on Mavericks on my external monitor 1680x1050 (with display port to dvi cable) was laggy with the screen full of icons, now the animation from page to page is butter smooth to my surprise ... they improved the gfx drivers for sure.

now the buggy stuff , Yosemite seems to be a little more cpu hungry and has a lot of bugs that shows everywhere if you look on details but its not groundbreaking and with updates i hope apple will make it more rigid experience, like some services not responding - some apps doesn't close completely - some gfx glitches on upper bar, there are some errors in console which doesn't seem to do anything but slow down the system and it appears they are on real macs too, like :

com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.appkit.xpc.sandboxedServiceRunner) The JoinExistingSession key is only available to Application services.

com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.DataDetectorsDynamicData) The JoinExistingSession key is only available to Application services.

com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.FileSyncAgent.PHD.isRunning) The HideUntilCheckIn property is an architectural performance issue. Please transition away from it.

com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.mbloginhelper.user) This key does not do anything: OnDemand

com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.mbpluginhost.user) This key does not do anything: OnDemand

com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.secd) This key does not do anything: OnDemand

SystemUIServer[237]: Cannot find executable for CFBundle 0x7ffd2be20090 </System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Volume.menu> (not loaded)

com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.secd) The ServiceIPC key is no longer respected. Please remove it.

com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.speech.speechsynthesisd) This key does not do anything: OnDemand

com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.TrustEvaluationAgent) This key does not do anything: OnDemand

also the scrolling and resize on Finder files/dir windows, console and Activity monitor lags more than Mavericks and consumes more cpu , especially with Finder it has to be a bug because that sux!

now the good stuff , the gfx seems running faster and smoother except some scrolling on some apps like i said above , the dsdt from the first post works great and all kexts was used except AppleHDA, i used the Clover Injection method and kext from tluck's t420 pack (works great! thanks!) + FakeSMC 6.11.1328 or Slice's version (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/299861-hwsensors-installer/) ,

touchpad and trackpoint works as it should and same as Mavericks, no problem with the Voodoo PS/2 controller from RehabMan on x220, sleep-wake and all functions run good)

I used Clover 2988 and a method for making usb installer for MBR installation (for GUID its better and easier) i just don't want to reinstall windows again (i have dual boot).

[ps. i saw some errors?! on booting Yosemite usb installer about something i don't remember :) but they didn't seem to affect anything]

The first thing i did was to remove all widgets from notifications , reduce transparency and disable opening folders animations with TinkerTool and make Appearance for buttons menus etc Graphite , now it seems like a proper OS ( ... :) ) so in all i like it for now and expect to be better in the future . Yosemite runs great on x220! but Mavericks seems lighter on cpu.

That's it i will make a little pack for Yosemite in the future but its all here really if you look.

ps. if it wasn't for the gfx performance i would revert to Mavericks as it seems more mature right now and i don't really like this ios mac os x hybrid...

Hi i read your post and i just installed yosemite on my x220. I have used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] so i have chimera. I am installing the package you uploaded with a kext installer.

What do i need to do more ?

• 2 weeks later...

i just don't want to reinstall windows again (i have dual boot).

Are you installing to the regular 2.5" SATA hard drive, or an mSATA SSD? Does this make a difference? I'm not sure how to do dual boot without losing my existing Windows 7 partition and Lenovo recovery partition -- is this possible?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and thank you for your great guide.

I try to flash my BIOS after updating it to 1.39 with the files located in bios_pmpatch_wl but i get always an error: "Cannot load driver".

May someone help me? :-) I couldn't find a solution.

----

I've got the same configruation like your X220 but only 4GB RAM and no SSD. I'm running on WIN7x64.

Thanks in advance,

Valentin

• 2 weeks later...

sorry guys for late updates please feel free to post any info solutions and suggestions for x220 here :)

DerValle hello i dont know why you get that message you can search on a bios modding forum to see if anyone have any solution 

hi Tetonne not many files have changed just some changes from tluck's great updated guide! but i made a quick zip with config.plist etc 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This pack has helped me tons, and I now have a nearly perfect X220 running Yosemite!  Sleep/PM/Graphics/Sound/wireless (AR9280) are all working perfectly.  Clover bootloader, I might add.

The only issue I'm having so far is Ultranav:  Everything works perfectly, but as I hate using the touchpad I've disabled it in the bios - but when I do that, middle mouse button scrolling stops working and VoodooPS2Trackpad gives a console error at boot [identify Touchpad command returns incorrect byte 2 (of 3): 0x00].  Has anyone put together a different version of VoodooPS2 that allows me to disable the trackpad in OSX (or set it to scrolling only), or is there a plist to control that?

hi and thanks for confirming that the pack/dsdt works :)

you don't need to disable trackpad from bios , enable it and just change the options on mac system preferences -> trackpad , you can disable what you want there and only use it for scrolling, 

update :

sorry man since all is working so well and i use mostly my desktop setup lately i tend to forget! 

dont do anything there is a shortcut to disable the touchpad , just press option + PrtSc (the option key is the windows key on my setup) 

this disables the touchpad and leaves the trackpoint with buttons working , just press it again and it enables the trackpad.

(i used this a lot cause touchpad sometimes disabled itself and i thought that voodoops2trackpad crashed or something but if i press the combination above it worked again so this is the best solution)

• 2 weeks later...

dunpeal

all kexts must be compatible except maybe Applehda patch which you must find a mountain lion (your version) patched kext

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to use what I discovered in this thread and on a few others sites to put together a concise guide to installing OS X 10.10 Yosemite on the ThinkPad x220:

http://x220.mcdonnelltech.com/

Links to all of the necessary kexts and utilities are in the guide.

Hope this helps. There's a feedback form at the bottom of the guide if you find anything that isn't accurate.

• Like 1