Can windows repair a Mac?

4 posts in this topic

A few years ago, when the iMac flat-panel/helmet-with-a-stick first came out, we sent away and got one. My grandmother was trying so hard to learn to use a computer and when we got the mac, she found it MUCH easier to learn that windows, so it was a great purchase.

Later, I was bored and decided to experiment with linux on it. The cd-rom was playing up lately, so as my luck turned out, it died when the linux partitioning had just finished and the data was about to be sent over.

I ended up replacing the cd-burner with one that we had from an external lying around. It worked well, but I decided that I was done messing with things I obviously didn't understand. So I went to restore Mac OS X, and when it went to check on the hardware, it found a non-proprietary cd-rw and decided to abort. LOVELY!

With the OSx86 project, I was thinking if there was a way to set it up using my laptop via the external drive enclosure I stole the replacement cd-rw out of. I have used it as an enclosure before, and it works quite well.

ANY help at all with this would be appreciated by both me and my grandmother immensely.

I think what is possible is to use a release of Linux that has a wizard that allows you partitioning at boot up. Use your working cdrw drive, create partitions needed for linux and an extra one for macosx.

Boot to linux x-windows and install vmware. Do a physical install of macosx from vmware to the blank partition you created. Boot again to Linux and use a package (I cant remember, I used Linux last a long while ago, maybe fdisk) to make the macosx partition active, It should be done by now.

If you do not need it anymore, remove Linux.

Sounds convoluted, but this is how I install macosx myself from windows because my dvd drive is not recognised by macosx, and since I do not want to dish the money ;), maybe I will soon, and you might too...

Is there any way to do this from within windows? I really screwed it up with linux last time. I am clueless with that. However, I installed macdrive and am looking at the OSX disk. Is there any sort of manual install I could perform from within windows?

The problem with doing this all on the mac is that I can only make an external cdrom work. It's hating internal stuff. If I can't boot off of the USB cdrom (like OS 9 did) it won't work....

Could this all be done from within os 9?

Is there any way to do this from within windows? I really screwed it up with linux last time. I am clueless with that. However, I installed macdrive and am looking at the OSX disk. Is there any sort of manual install I could perform from within windows?

The problem with doing this all on the mac is that I can only make an external cdrom work. It's hating internal stuff. If I can't boot off of the USB cdrom (like OS 9 did) it won't work....

Could this all be done from within os 9?

Even if I use real macs too, I never tried what you are trying to achieve. If I were in your shoes, I will get myself a mac cdrw or dvdr/w drive... Are they that expensive? Unless your cdrw controller is faulty, then you are out of luck...