Power issues with overclocked machine

Dan ZG

2 posts in this topic

I have a hackintosh that was built for me, and have been plagued with power issues.

To make a long story short, recently the processor stopped working with the original overclock settings, so the guy who built it took it back and retuned the OC.

But with the new settings, the machine does not sleep properly. It does go to sleep, but at some time in the night, it goes into what I call "zombie" mode ... where it's ON, the power light is on, the fans are spinning, the mouse red light is on ... but neither the screen nor audio works. It's effectively "dead" ... and I have to resurrect it with a full power-down, then a re-selection of the BIOS profile.

However, if I load the BIOS "Optimized Defaults" -- then sleep works fine.

I tried copying JUST the OC settings (clock, memory speed, etc.) from the new OC profile to the Default settings, but this still resulted in zombie mode.

I've checked any "wake on LAN" settings, both in BIOS and OS, and all are off. We've tried both nvidia and ati graphics cards, but to no avail.

This is driving me nuts!

Does anyone have an ideas? Or at least how to pinpoint the source of the problem?

Thanks!!

Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
CPU: 4.15GHz Xeon X5650 Hexa-Core

Hi,me also have Xeon..and to get overclock on bios to more 2.66ghz(for Windows game)windows work fine on 3.00 ghz..but OS X never boo(or freeze)t,i dont know what,if boot on stock clock 2.66ghz OS X boot fine,me work too much on problem(2 week)but the same :hysterical: