Almost done with my Hackintosh!

rheneault

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone :)

I already tried to turn my PC into an Hackintosh a few years ago without real success. However things have really improved and I tried again. B)

Specs :

AMD Athlon II x3 / 3.2GHz

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4850

Gygabyte 770TA-UD3 (Audio : Realtek ALC888 / Network : Realtek RTL8168D/8111D )

I used Niresh for that. I booted up the installer using the "amd64" flag, installed Mavericks on an empty SATA drive, with the default options.

After that, I'm able to boot with the "GraphicsEnabler=No" flag (or I get stuck before the UI shows up, at the Bluetooth thing). Everything is working : sound, ethernet but I get a really bad resolution with bad graphics, normal as I don't use GraphicsEnabler.

I now have two problems :

• I'm not able to see the bootloader! I get an "out of range" message from my monitor... To enter my bootflags, I boot to the USB key with Niresh on it, then select  hard drive and enter my bootflags. This is not really a problem, because the first time I boot I can edit my org.chameleon.boot.plist to disable GraphicsEnabler. I'm not able to see the bootloarder but the system launches fine (with bad graphics).
  • I tried using the "QE/CI Exotic Patch for 10.9 GM" to be able to fully use my gpu, installed it with KextHelper, but when I reboot if I use GraphicsEnabler=No, my monitor says "No Signal", and if I use GraphicsEnabler=Yes, I get "Out of range". It's then impossible to boot the system, even with -x.

So I now have a functionnal hackintosh with really bad graphics, as I reinstalled without any additionnal kext and without GraphicsEnabler.

Why can't I see my bootloader ? And is there any kext to get my gpu working on Mavericks?

My monitor's native resolution is 1280x1024, and I use the VGA port.

Thanks in advance,

R. Heneault

EDIT : I read somewhere that VGA wasn't fully supported, I'm going to try again with DVI this afternoon.

EDIT 2 : Don't have a DVI monitor at home but I almost found a solution.

I reinstalled OS X using Niresh but I ticked "Move ATI Drivers" and disabled "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" in Customization. This way I'm able to boot perfectly without any bootflags and I can see the bootloader.

At first boot, I edited org.chameleon.boot.plist and added

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
     <string>1280x1024x32</string>

I now have my native resolution working with Chameleon/Chimera (or wathever bootloader it uses) and on the Desktop.

But...

I still get the glitches in Safari and other apps meaning that my QE/CI doesn't work (am I right ?).

I'm planning to upgrade to 10.9.2 through the App Store and then use the QE/CI Exotic Patch for 10.9.2. Tomorrow.

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately I didn't see it before updating and yes, that's a reboot loop.

I'm going back to my 10.9 without QE/CI.

Do you think of a way getting my HD 4850 working on this version ? Or maybe I did something wrong with the patch...

In fact I don't know if I tried using it again since I have my full resolution and my bootloader showing up. Definitely going to try again.

Anyway, I succumbed for a new Intel i3 (Hashwell) + GT 640 2Go build coming soon, which will be my new hackintosh.

EDIT :

Okay I installed the QE/CI Exotic Patch for Mavericks GM again and I can't get it to work. The AMD4800Controller.kext doesn't load, and I don't know why. On the other hand, the ATIRadeonX2000.kext loads fine.

I heard that maybe I should add my Device ID and/or Vendor ID into the kext, but I can't figure out how.

Any help would be appreciated.