Running OSX on VMware 10 Workstation with AMD support

pulse40

3 posts in this topic

So I updated to the 10.8.5 kernel and upon restart I get this wonderfully rude message. Any other AMD Hackintosh experimenters get this and any idea if there is another hardware virtualization bypass that will allow the 10.8.5 update to be compatible?

It's my impression that this incompatibility was done deliberatly on Apple's part hence the really rude Kernel panic message.

What are your thoughts? Anyone?

Thanks!

1268125_574664035902479_158780176_o.jpg

• 4 months later...

This gave me headaches but i was finally able to have a solution.

1. Create a new virtual machine with mac os x 10.8.3 with amd support.

2. before starting it , in the settings menu add a new hard drive, and select the one of your virtual machine with the kernel panic(your original virtual machine)

3. Start the new virtual machine, when it shows the installation setup, reset the virtual machine 

4.when the virtual machine is now started you should be able to boot normally,  your original account will appear, all your files will be the same, and better of all your os wil be now 10.8.5!

Hope it helps! 

ThinkerWisdom

• 1 year later...

@ThinkerWisdom You newbie genius, you.

Your first (...and seemingly only) post single-handedly saved me an unsanitary bucket-load full of blood, sweat, and salty tears. That said: {a} it was uncommonly difficult to find posts on either this problem or this solution and {b} in my case, the solution is actually somewhat simpler than that described by ThinkerWisdom above, but there are important caveats involved.

Error Messages: They're a Good Thing

Let's tackle {a} first. In pulse40's original post above, the actual error message is embedded in an image rather than quoted in the post. While insulting corporate eye candy is nice, it's also not indexable by conventional search engines (e.g., Google, Bing) – preventing anyone from actually finding this thread. That's maybe bad.

The solution, of course, is to quote the actual error message. Let's do that, because you're not going to believe what it reads:

In case you read this there has been a kernel panic.
There is no f!cking support for running Lion on AMD.
You have to try fixing this yourself.

Yes, that's right: "There is no f!cking support..." Due to clumsy forum censorship, replace the "!" by a "u". (What is this, Brave New Mac World?)

This is the first time I've ever encountered a genuinely insulting OS-level error. But there's a first time for everything.

I'd love to believe this to be the isolated lone-wolf work of one jaded coffee-addled maverick burning the stress-addled midnight oil at 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino... but I've actually worked at 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino. Apple's alluring facade is nothing if not belied by its healthy disregard (bordering on abject contempt) for their "non-compliant" customer base: namely, the hackintosh and virtualization community. In short, this almost certainly had the express approval of at least middle management.

Make of that what you will, Internet tubes.

The Solution: Also a Good Thing

It's on to {b}. In ThinkerWisdom's original post above, step three reads: "Start the new virtual machine, when it shows the installation setup, reset the virtual machine."

In my case, that wasn't actually necessary. Starting the new virtual machine immediately brought up the content of the old virtual machine – working 10.8.5 upgrade and all. It was like VMware Jesus forcefully bestowing OS X-laced bread and wine onto the gathered multitude of impoverished Linux immigrants. It was glorious.

The Caveats: Not So Good Thing

I should note, however, that:

1. It is not safe to remove the hard drive corresponding to the original OS X 10.8.3 installation from the new virtual machine. Both the 10.8.3 and 10.8.5 hard drives must remain added. In fact, if you attempt to tamper in any way with the ordering of these hard drives (e.g., by attempting to remove and then re-add one of the two hard drives), the whole thing blows up like a helium-bloated corpse. Specifically, the above error message of fist-raising anger ("There is no f!cking support...") returns and you will be unable to boot the new virtual machine. If this happens to you, you'll need to repeat the entire process with a new, new virtual machine. :surprised:
  2. It is not safe to power-down or reset the new virtual machine – either via the VMware UI or via the OS X UI. If you ever do so, you'll be greeted with the OS X 10.8.3 installation screen on the next reboot. If this happens to you, you'll need to reset the virtual machine, at which point you should be returned to your OS X 10.8.5 installation. This isn't quite as bad as the prior caveat. It is, however, concerning. I suggest obsessive-compulsive snapshotting.

In other words, ThinkerWisdom's solution works. It's just incredible fragile. In fact, this bears repeating:

Do not attempt to remove the 10.8.3 or 10.8.5 hard drives from the new virtual machine. Do not attempt to power-down or reset the new virtual machine. Ever.

That aside, this solution is a fairly wondrous piece of black-box hackery. I have no idea how or why it works. I doubt anyone does, frankly. It does. Isn't that all that matters? (No, actually. I'd really like to know how or why it works. Black boxes are the conduit of all evil.)

Thanks again, ThinkerWisdom. You wise thinking has redeemed us all.