HD3000 QE and kernel cache

genzai

9 posts in this topic

On the standard Pro Tools HD3/4 systems these days based on Jetway NAF92 boards i have discovered a perplexing issue that has kept me from using the onboard graphics in most cases. It would be very helpful if an expert in these matters could take a look into this and i will be very happy to disburse the information to the pro tools community (credit assigned). I am at a loss after struggling with the issue for months on and off. 

A) if UseKernelCache=No, then HD3000 QE works
B) if UseKernelCache=Yes then HD3000 QE does not work, though resolution still works and card shows in system profile correctly

Below are the files that may be relevant, though if there are any other diagnostics i can run or logs i can post please inform me and i will do so immediately.
Thanks,
g\

Motherboard: Jetway NAF92 Q67
CPU: 2600K
OS: same issue in 10.7.5 and 10.8.x - currently on 10.8.4
tried using many flavors of chameleon/chimera. Clover works too if you use WithKexts flag (essentially -f). Currently on latest chimera 2.1.1

KP-ioregs-logs.zip

SnetExtra.zip

OK can you try the latest Chameleon? Then using Chameleon Wizard downgrade to 2210; restart and retest; boot with -f. Let me know if it fixes the issue. 

ok i will try this, but do you have any idea why the kernelcache flag would be causing QE to be enabled or disabled?

Thanks,

g\

It should work with and without kernel cache flag. But first boot should be with the kernel cache so that the cache is refreshed. Or you can use Kext Wizard to rebuild the cache.

OK, I have- using chameleon wizard - installed both the latest 2251 version as well as 2210 and the behavior is the same. i did NOT try with -f because, as i have said, if i -f or turn off kernel cache QE works regardless of the bootloader or version. but allowing use of the kernel cache causes QE to fail, no matter the bootloader or version. I also tried kextwizard to manually repair/rebuild the cache between boots.

While i appreciate any assistance, i would note that - and i don't want to overstate my credentials - i am definitely not a noob at this. I have set up many, many hacks over the years and maintain an enthusiast+ level understanding of the process. I have HD3000 and HD4000 working on many systems, with and without additional graphics cards also present. There is something especially odd going on with these Jetway systems that are the standard for pro tools HD systems. I am really hoping someone who has the ability to dig deep in to the ioreg or DSDT for instance can take a look and see if there is any evidence of what is happening.

Many thanks,

g\

• 3 months later...

OK,

Thanks to the AMAZING Mieze, the issue is resolved and the issue was simply related to intel ME being disabled in the BIOS.

Its not clear why flushing caches gets aroubd this issue but with ME enabled the internal graphics work just fine.

Cheers,

g\

• 1 year later...

Even in Yosemite the same None QE problem is still here.

The HD3000 seems OK just at the very beginning time (esp. at the first boot after a Clean Installation), and when I use Kext Wizard/Utility, everything comes a mess.

3D acceleration was still there but the screen just has tore out (as no graphics function, but the system report was fine)

I believed it was the kernelcache that cause the problem, then struggling days and nights, and finally found nothing.

Something must be wrong though I can't find out why UNTIL I GOOGLED here.

Luckily I 've got my Laptop's BIOS unlocked, and had my Intel ME option setting to "ENABLED",

then every thing just goes normal immediately.

Awesome!How could you find out such easy way!

THX a lot!