• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x 8GB DDR3-RAM Kit
GPU: Zotac GeForce GT 640
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 550D
PSU: existing 450W 80Plus (not sure atm, i think an Antec)
Storage: existing Samsung SSD 830 Series 256GB

Is this configuration OK or what component could cause trouble?

I'm mostly unsure about the Motherboard. I know the Gigabyte Z77Series board should be a good pick for OSX installations, but there a plenty of different models...
I read that the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH should be a perfect choice. That board costs around 260€ (335$) here in germany. The GA-Z77-DS3H costs around 80€ (103$). That's a difference of 180€ (232$).
I don't have high requirements on the motherboard: I need one PCIe x16 slot for the graphik card, one SATA 6Gb/s for the SSD and of course i want USB 3.0. That's it. So i think i have no advantage in buying the A-Z77X-UP5 TH, except OSX Mountain Lion is running properly on the cheaper GA-Z77-DS3H of course.

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

There are those who call me...

• Local Moderators
  • 546 posts
  • Interests:Music editing/Remixing, hiking, orienteering, 4 wheeling, reading (yes like books and such), and...
Not only is that a good motherboard choice (See the wiki reference to it here) but there has been a all-in-one post-installation tool designed specifically for this motherboard and UEFI BIOS which is available here.

The only reference that I found on the wiki for the 640 is here. That referenced an OEM version of that card, but still said it works OOB.

The wiki here is a great fountain of information regarding hardware/software compatibility. I just assumed Mountain Lion for you install, so if I was wrong, or you have any other compatibility issues - the wiki can be found here.

Good luck with your build!

Bierfreund

Bierfreund

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your helpful reply and the links! "all-in-one post-installation tool" sounds great :)
I picked the Zotac GT640 because a GT640 is also part of the actual iMax series, which should makeit compatible. The Zotac GT 640 is cooled passive and i want a passive graphic card (GT650 and higher all have fans).
I guess an AMD
HD 7750 (e.g. an Sapphire Ultimate Radeon HD 7750) would offer more perforance than an Nvida GT 640, but i expect more trouble with an AMD graphic chipset, because apple does not use it (yet).
An AMD HD 7750 is also not listed in the HCL you linked above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy