Review of my planned Hardware Configuration

3 posts in this topic

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x 8GB DDR3-RAM Kit

GPU: Zotac GeForce GT 640

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 550D

PSU: existing 450W 80Plus (not sure atm, i think an Antec)

Storage: existing Samsung SSD 830 Series 256GB

Is this configuration OK or what component could cause trouble?

I'm mostly unsure about the Motherboard. I know the Gigabyte Z77Series board should be a good pick for OSX installations, but there a plenty of different models...

I read that the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH should be a perfect choice. That board costs around 260€ (335$) here in germany. The GA-Z77-DS3H costs around 80€ (103$). That's a difference of 180€ (232$).

I don't have high requirements on the motherboard: I need one PCIe x16 slot for the graphik card, one SATA 6Gb/s for the SSD and of course i want USB 3.0. That's it. So i think i have no advantage in buying the A-Z77X-UP5 TH, except OSX Mountain Lion is running properly on the cheaper GA-Z77-DS3H of course.

Not only is that a good motherboard choice (See the wiki reference to it here) but there has been a all-in-one post-installation tool designed specifically for this motherboard and UEFI BIOS which is available here.

The only reference that I found on the wiki for the 640 is here. That referenced an OEM version of that card, but still said it works OOB.

The wiki here is a great fountain of information regarding hardware/software compatibility. I just assumed Mountain Lion for you install, so if I was wrong, or you have any other compatibility issues - the wiki can be found here.

Good luck with your build!

• Like 2

Thanks for your helpful reply and the links! "all-in-one post-installation tool" sounds great :)

I picked the Zotac GT640 because a GT640 is also part of the actual iMax series, which should makeit compatible. The Zotac GT 640 is cooled passive and i want a passive graphic card (GT650 and higher all have fans).

I guess an AMD HD 7750 (e.g. an Sapphire Ultimate Radeon HD 7750) would offer more perforance than an Nvida GT 640, but i expect more trouble with an AMD graphic chipset, because apple does not use it (yet).

An AMD HD 7750 is also not listed in the HCL you linked above.