Update to 10.5.8 is not for the faint of heart but if you follow these steps correctly, you will get through it.
1. Download the combo update 10.5.8 from Apple Support
2. Backup to time machine, backup extensions on the primary hard drive as well
3. Backup mach_kernel, Library/Preferences on the same local hard drive. You will need to restore the old kernel if you are using a custom version.
4. Read instructions here and install the two kexts http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/08/update-hackintosh-osx86-1058/
5. Before installing open up a terminal window, a finder window and OSXTools. You will not get a chance to do this later. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.
6. Go ahead and install but do not reboot. When it says 2 minutes left or towards the end, it will take a very long time maybe hours. Have faith, let the installer finish. Do not do anything on the machine during this time.
7. When the install is complete, backup the new S/L/E to Extensions_osx1058 and also /L/P folders. You may need these later.
8. Restore your backed up custom kernel and extensions if you have
9. Reboot with -f -v option. It will fail the first time. Go ahead and try again. If it moves forward, great otherwise read on.
10. If you get boot loader problem like boot0:error, re-install chameleon from the 10.5.6 boot cd using customize button. Remember to uncheck the osx install. Do not worry about installer error. Go back to step 9 until you are able to boot.
11. You may have to reinstall IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext from Extensions_osx1058 to get the USB storage devices to show up.
12. Tested the following things and they were working fine, so I took another time machine backup
- Wireless, I use an Airlink wireless USB adapter.
- USB Storage
- Display resolution and graphics using youtube video, preferably the same Gangnam song. Anything over 480p becomes choppy for me.
- Keyboard and Mouse
- Disk drives
On a side note:
Download and install HP printer drivers from here. These will work on Leopard.
Run OSXTools after installing HP Drivers