Toshiba Portege M400, Native success

carpao

110 posts in this topic

How did you get the audio to work? I tried the AppleHDAPatcher 1.15, but it didn't work for me.

uhm... it worked for me...

i used a codec log directly from my computer...

where did you get your log? from internet? they didn't work for me too...

If you don't have the possiblity to get it directly from your computer I can try to give mine to you...

BTW the computer profile say no audio, but in the prefpane it is presented and the speakers work

let me know...

:) do you have teh M400? did you try to work with the external monitor and LC together? do you have problems?

Ok, I had the time to install OSX 10.4.8 - and it runs.

Now I need to get comfy with OSX - it's a bit strange, but very cool.

Graphics works - with full 1400x1050 resolution.

Sound not

Wireless not

Ethernet - don't know.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the battery symbol to show up?

Edit:

Ok, found out how to boot windows. But now OSX won't boot. Naaaah! More later.

Edited by DerDude

i used a codec log directly from my computer...

where did you get your log? from internet? they didn't work for me too...

If you don't have the possiblity to get it directly from your computer I can try to give mine to you...

I used the log you posted. I will try later to create a log from Linux, maybe it will work.

:o do you have teh M400? did you try to work with the external monitor and LC together? do you have problems?

I haven't tried with an external monitor yet. I will try it soon and let you know.

Right now I downgraded BIOS to 1.8W because 3.3 was too loud, but OS X does not boot anymore with 1.8W. When I put 3.3 back I will try the sound and external monitor / LCD.

I used the log you posted.

what log??? I didn't post it yet !!!

I will try later to create a log from Linux, maybe it will work.

I haven't tried with an external monitor yet. I will try it soon and let you know.

thanks

Ok, I had the time to install OSX 10.4.8 - and it runs.

Now I need to get comfy with OSX - it's a bit strange, but very cool.

Graphics works - with full 1400x1050 resolution.

Sound not

Wireless not

Ethernet - don't know.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the battery symbol to show up?

Edit:

Ok, found out how to boot windows. But now OSX won't boot. Naaaah! More later.

I have not much time now...

however

Ethernet should work out of the box

WIreless no hope at the moment (some people is working on that)

Sound (look for HDA PATCHER) I'll post my codec this evening if needed

Battery... yes there is a patch http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=14912

Sleep ... be carefull that if you close your lid probably osx goes into sleep and doesn't wake up...

at the moment I istalled http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=13830

so that it don't go to sleep, but there is some work (i didn't tested at the moment) on a new semthek kernel that should support sleep and speedstep

for the bluetooth there is a post in this thread that points to the kext to install

about the tabletmagic there should be out on the tabletmagic site the RC3

DUAL BOOT... to make a dual boot, there are several possibilities (some are to used when you are installing...)...

so what is your situation now?

I'm using GRUB... but if you have WINXP installed probably the simplest solution at the moment is to use se chain0 methods inside the boot.ini file... look for these keywords in the forum (or google) and you'll find the solution... ask me (later) if you have problems

My solution is using the F8 key at bootup and selecting the Windows partition. Works quite good.

Sadly, I've destroyed my OSX install and must reinstall. Which driver for the internal graphics card do I need to select? The GMA900 or the GMA950? I think all new Core Duo notebooks have GMA950, but this just gave me an error so I deleted the kext and now strange color stripes appear instead of the nice looking desktop. But oh well, one can't have everything, right? :whistle:

EDIT:

Oh, and I think Ethernet works, but hadn't have the chance to test it out :wacko:

Edited by DerDude

My solution is using the F8 key at bootup and selecting the Windows partition. Works quite good.

you'll can set a delay in the boot plist in order to do't risk to miss it...

Sadly, I've destroyed my OSX install and must reinstall. Which driver for the internal graphics card do I need to select? The GMA900 or the GMA950? I think all new Core Duo notebooks have GMA950, but this just gave me an error so I deleted the kext and now strange color stripes appear instead of the nice looking desktop. But oh well, one can't have everything, right? :P

It should be GMA950... be carefull that the first seeding fo the 10.4.8 had an error in the GMA part

Carpao, I would love to have sound on my M400 could you tell me the procedure you've used to get a codec dump with a linux distro (I have Ubuntu)?

look for a file codec0 under the /proc filesystem

I should reboot to give you the correct path...

however it is easy to find...

it is under something like /proc/audio/...

when you find it...

give te command

cat codec0 > ~/codec.dump

and you have a file under your home (in linux) named codec.dump ...

keep in mind that at the moment only speakers work

Edited by carpao

• 4 weeks later...
What upgrade package did you use for 10.4.9?

I made it manually...

(started with paulicat instructions and then downgrade some packages to previous version)

however I must confess that I am not wholly happy...

because sometime I have some application crash ...

probably after a whole cloning of the hard disk I'll make a second try.

Added note: yesterday all day and no application or system crash... and I used it all the day intensively...

Yesterday I didn't use so much the ntfs partitions and thus I suspect that some problems could be just from the MacFUSE (2.2) and NTFS-3G...

• 1 month later...

Some note on TEmperature:

My M400 is very often very hot.

I use Temperature Monitor and it reacehd the 100C

I didn't succeded with ACPIThrottle.

Now sopmetimes I use speedit 1.0 preview 3 (for 10.4.9)

It loads and should give throttling ...

but in my case it seems to to me that it fixes the frequency to 1Ghz, but it is enough!

I use it when my PC becomes too hot...

(in idle state with speedit loaded the temperature is 42-45 C)

If you don't use very intensive program you didn't note the reduction in speed.

And it is always possible to kextunload it to return to the previous state.

I hope that this is useful to other too...

I didn't check the improvement in battery life.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This is the file I used: codec.txt

Thanks for posting the file, I dragged the file onto the AppleHDAPatcher 1.16 icon and its states

Codec : Sigmatel STAC9200

Vendor ID: 0x83847690

Subsytem ID: 0x11790463

* Detected unsupported Sigmatel Codec

However, I found this page h**p://psykopat.free.fr/apple/AppleHDA/sigmatel/ and the Stac9200.txt file worked a treat.

I now have sound :censored2:

Spadge

• 3 months later...

Just to say ...

"happy kalyway" to all of you...

I installed Leopard and it works very well... sleep, monitor, network,...

the only missing thing is a way to have a minimal control on the CPU freq (with tiger I used speedit to drop the freq at 1Ghz if needed)

• 2 weeks later...
Just to say ...

"happy kalyway" to all of you...

I installed Leopard and it works very well... sleep, monitor, network,...

the only missing thing is a way to have a minimal control on the CPU freq (with tiger I used speedit to drop the freq at 1Ghz if needed)

I too have installed Kalyway (Leopard 10.5.1) using the Vanilla kernal and it works. Audio can be fixed using AppleHDA patcher 1.20 and the Sigmatel file I mentioned earlier in this thread.

However, I am unable to get the Bluetooth module recognised. Copying the kext file from within this thread no longer works. Carpao have you found a solution?

I too have installed Kalyway (Leopard 10.5.1) using the Vanilla kernal and it works. Audio can be fixed using AppleHDA patcher 1.20 and the Sigmatel file I mentioned earlier in this thread.

However, I am unable to get the Bluetooth module recognised. Copying the kext file from within this thread no longer works. Carpao have you found a solution?

1) for the audio you meand the speaker and the headphone right? no mic or input line support...

2) I used the old ToshACPI.kext and it works for me...

did you try to load it ?

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ToshACPI.kext

let me know

1) for the audio you meand the speaker and the headphone right? no mic or input line support...

2) I used the old ToshACPI.kext and it works for me...

did you try to load it ?

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ToshACPI.kext

let me know

Thanks for the reply, your command did the trick. I didn't load it properly. Thank you! Bluetooth now works

Yes Audio fix is for speakers and headphone only.

Carpao have you installed the powermanagement.bundle from Tiger. Sleep works ok but I do not get a power management icon displaying battery length anymore. Just wondered if you have tried it?

Spadge

Thanks for the reply, your command did the trick. I didn't load it properly. Thank you! Bluetooth now works

Yes Audio fix is for speakers and headphone only.

Carpao have you installed the powermanagement.bundle from Tiger. Sleep works ok but I do not get a power management icon displaying battery length anymore. Just wondered if you have tried it?

Spadge

I have a very old and ruined battery (10 minutes left more or less... not only in OSX) so I didn't care to get again the battery icon...

however I think that the trick to use

however did you try http://www.orange-carb.org/SBM/index.html ? installing it in tiger solved the problem to me... but I don't know if it works in leopard...

what is the average temperature of your CPUS?