Toshiba Portege M400, Native success

carpao

110 posts in this topic

EDITED to keep the most recent in the first post too:

GREAT NEWS

I Just upgraded the BIOS from the toshiba site version 3.3 (I had some problem with 3.4)

and... now no more kernel panic...

Now I have 10.4.9 installed (with 8.9.1 kernel)

so the situation at this moment is for me:

- ok both core enabled and working

- ok network

- ok GMA acceleration

- ok USB (I tried a USB Key and a webcam)

- ok pen

- ok speaker

- ok sleep (after the 10.4.9 upgrade)

- ok bluetooth

- ko microphone

- ko Secure Digital mass storage

- ko fingerprinting

- ko PCMCIA

- ko speedstep throttling (the tablet is pretty hot and the battery autonomy is short)

some note on CPU TEMP and SPEEDSTEP:

I did'nt succeded with ACPIThrottle, but

currently I sometimes use speedit 1.0 preview 3 (for 10.4.9)

It loads and should give throttling ... but in my case it seems to to me that it fixes the frequency to 1Ghz

I use it when my PC becomes to hot...

(in idle state with speedit loaded the temperatire is 42-45 C)

If you don't use very intensive program you didn't note the reduction in speed.

And it is always possible rto kextunload it to return to the previous state.

(in System profiler it will report a Core Solo instead of a Core Duo)

during normal boot I have at the moment the need to put also

-x

(safe mode)

because otherwise the computer starts but the Display is all scrambled (some coulored rectangle)

any idea on how to solve it? In safe mode the system profiler reports a GMA 950 without CI and QE but at 1400x1050 :-D)

cpus=1 turns off one of the cores, so you are effectively a Core Solo

Did you install the GMA900 patch during the installation? If not, you might fire up the installer and give that a try. It should allow you to install any patches you haven't installed previously.

OPS

I forgot the GMA900 patch...

now it boots also in not safe mode (CI & QE enabled)

So today I'll make some test with other components (network, audio, wireless, bluetooth, to see what works and what not and I'll compile a list...)

About the need to disable one core

any idea on how to avoid the Local APIC error... without doing it?

thx

About the audio I tried to install the Jas DVD patch for SigmaTel9200 (I think that it had to solve the problem), But I didn't note any difference (No audio output device present)

About the network I noted that if I launch the network utility from the DVD (From the Utility meu) the card is recognized

If I launch the same utility from the native installation, it is not recognized...

WHY?

About the network I noted that if I launch the network utility from the DVD (From the Utility meu) the card is recognized

If I launch the same utility from the native installation, it is not recognized...

WHY?

As I said in the first edited post... at my second try with a clean instalation it worked...

perhaps because I didn't installed teh wireless pacth (conflict?)

I am trying to install OSX86 on my Toshiba Portege M400 as well but am running into issues during installation. THe problem occurs while I'm trying to install the OS itself. I can boot to a 10.4.7 disk with no problem, get to the installer, and start the installer. However, most of the time the installer crashes durning the "Installing Base System Part 1." The other interesting thing about my problem is that after one crash, the installer will progressively crash sooner and sooner in the install process until I can't even get to the menu system. Has anyone experienced this problem, or know what the cause might be??

-Aaron

I've had considerable success installing OS X, but as for re-booting into it... I had some trouble making it boot, since I had that silly "HFS+ partition errer" {censored}. but that was fixxed by fiddling with GRUB jibjab. my next problem was getting the various flags to the kernel at boot (since the bootloader that got installed was one that just went straight to loading the kernel.) To fix this, I edited /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist. it's pretty straightforward. it's still giving me angry APIC kernel panics, but at least I got to see the fancy new OSX welcome screen! it made me all gleeful, until it hit a wall. ahh well.

I've had considerable success installing OS X, but as for re-booting into it... I had some trouble making it boot, since I had that silly "HFS+ partition errer" {censored}. but that was fixxed by fiddling with GRUB jibjab. my next problem was getting the various flags to the kernel at boot (since the bootloader that got installed was one that just went straight to loading the kernel.) To fix this, I edited /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist. it's pretty straightforward. it's still giving me angry APIC kernel panics, but at least I got to see the fancy new OSX welcome screen! it made me all gleeful, until it hit a wall. ahh well.

when booting into OSX, hold the F8 key just before it starts to initialize...you will then get the same options you got when installing the OS. for me, i type cpus=1 idlehalt=0 -x and this allows the machine to boot successfully. give that a try...it works for me with high success.

-Aaron

I got just one question: how did you get the installer to see your hard drive? Is there some sort of work around for the raid thingy?

All I see is the installer - but no harddrive or partition to chose. In the harddrive tool program it's as well not listed.

Any tips?

• 4 months later...

GREAT NEWS

I Just upgraded the BIOS from the toshiba site version 3.2

and...

now no more kerne panic...

I installed again from the 10.4.7 DVD (I knew it is "old" but I have only that alreay mastered) and it does not halt and I'm keeping BOTH core on...

so the situation at this moment is for me:

- ok network

- ok GMA acceleration

- ko sound :-( I didn' check recently... is there some solution?

- not tested USB, wireless, bluetooth, etc etc...

I updated to 10.4.8

currently I'm using daemonES kernel

and try to add audio

With the new BIOS update is the fan always on and loud? I remember they had BIOS version 1.8W to fix the fan noise but I don't know if they included that fix in subsequent BIOS revisions.

AGAIN GREAT NEWS:

I reinstalled the system starting from the 10.4.8 JAS DVD

I'm using se semthek kernel

Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Sat Dec 9 22:18:27 AZOT 2006; semthex:/nebukadnezar/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

about the fan... it is often ON, but not FIXED to on...

bad news:

some times, but only in the case (10%) during the boot, I have still kernel panic... if it continues after reboot... I disable for one boot only the second core from the bios... and then reboot the second time reenabling the second core :-( but OSX never crashed for me after the boot...

good news:

- The audio is start working (ok the speaker, I didn't test at the moment microphone, and the rest)

- The pen is recognized... it works very well as mouse and it is possible to activate ink too...

(again I have a problem some times... i.e. after some boot the pen is recognized but it move the pointer to the upperleft corner regardless of where I point it)

TH E PEN IS WORKING <- I wrote that with the pen!!!

- MAC OS see my usb cam using the opensource macam.0.9.0 tools

I got just one question: how did you get the installer to see your hard drive? Is there some sort of work around for the raid thingy?

All I see is the installer - but no harddrive or partition to chose. In the harddrive tool program it's as well not listed.

Any tips?

it is not a problem of RAID... I have RAID too, but I installed on the internal drive ...

did you prepare the partitions?

This is what I done

- prepare from Windows a primary partition as FAT 32

- boot from the OSX installation disk (in order to start the installation DVD I disabled the second core from the BIOS!)

- start diskutil (from the menu before the first step of installation) and erase the partition choosing the correct apple format Journaled

- start the several steps installation (skipping the check of the dvd)

- reboot

- configure the OS

- revert to dual core setting in the BIOS

- reboot

- The pen is recognized... it works very well as mouse and it is possible to activate ink too...

(again I have a problem some times... i.e. after some boot the pen is recognized but it move the pointer to the upperleft corner regardless of where I point it)

I solved this at the moment by invoking directly the daemon in a terminal window instead of call it as a startup item...

in this manner I can use the command line parameter to explicitly set the dimension.. (te problem is in fact in the auto configuration that sometimes failed)... If some one can tell me how to set this command line parameter in a a configuration file :-)

about the fan... it is often ON, but not FIXED to on...

Does it work the same way as it does in Windows (or whatever else you run)?

some times, but only in the case (10%) during the boot, I have still kernel panic... if it continues after reboot... I disable for one boot only the second core from the bios... and then reboot the second time reenabling the second core :-( but OSX never crashed for me after the boot...

Which BIOS version are you using? I think some of the latest releases have fixes that solve issues like this (possibly ACPI, etc) for Windows Vista (giving a BSOD now and then), so they might be applicable here.

- The audio is start working (ok the speaker, I didn't test at the moment microphone, and the rest)

How about the screen rotation? Does that work?

1) Does it work the same way as it does in Windows (or whatever else you run)?

2) Which BIOS version are you using? I think some of the latest releases have fixes that solve issues like this (possibly ACPI, etc) for Windows Vista (giving a BSOD now and then), so they might be applicable here.

3) How about the screen rotation? Does that work?

1) a little noiser but rarely at the maximum

I installed also the temperature monitor and it gives me usually 80-90 Celsius degree (internal to the core) and 40-50 for the SMART disk...

When the internal core reaches 95 starts the noiser FAN

2) I have 3.2 (as said in the thread) before that I was not able to use the dual core...

In this period of frequent reboot I choose to disable one core from the BIOS... in order to avoid kernel panic...

however I repeat that *when I have one) I have kernel panic only during the boot phase.. so that if the computer start with dual core enabled and reach the login window, it never occurred a kernel panic to me even after several hours.

3) I read somewhere that it should appear the rotation option pressing the Alt keys during the selection of Display preferences... but it does not happen to me... so at the moment I have no rotation...

4) a little anticipation: it is imminent an upgrade of MagicTablet that will support TabletPC... I'm testing it, and it works

How did you get the pen to work?

I have gotten the Bluetooth to work:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=43292

I'm testing the RC1 version of tabletMagic by Scott http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showuser=81643

I think that in the next days will be available from its site...

you can try to ask it directly to him (I don't know if he wants to make it available before clean it)

How did you get the pen to work?

Here is the version I'm using...

It works very well..

there is only on minor glitch with the boot started daemon... and exactly that it does not talks very well with the prefpane... so if you want to play with the settings in prefpane... I suggest you to kill the boot time started daemon and start a new one....

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=8838

Let me know

Oh man! Awesome! Your da man!

I gotta try this stats!

Now where is my OSX 10.4.8 DVD again? :)

be carefull that there was some bugged version on torrent... read in the comments if it is the reseed version...

or look for a post with the correct MD5.

I have no DVD here now... but if oyu wnat I can find it and calculate my MD5 (I'll do... to be sure that my GMA950 problem is not related to it...)