Dell Inspiron 5150 iAtkos S3 v2 'Still waiting for root device'

alibabzo

62 posts in this topic

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone could help me?

I'm trying to boot iAtkos S3 v2 on a Dell Inspiron 5150 with:

Mobile Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.2 GHz

Intel 852 PM chipset

Nvidia Geforce Go FX5200 32MB DDR RAM video card.

My BIOS doesn't seem to have any ACPI option. My disk is formatted FAT32, the boot flag is set (with GPartEd).

I boot with the flag -v... I get past Chameleon, and onto a black screen, but it hangs with 'Still waiting for root device'.

I boot with -v -x... same.

I boot with -v busratio=20 cpus=1... same.

I also tried -x -v platform=X86PC, -f and platform=i386 to no avail.

There's no Firewire setting in my BIOS.

I tried jumping my IDE drive to make it a Primary Slave drive... no results there either.

What am I doing wrong? Could someone shed a light? Sorry if a solution is already posted somewhere :/

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone could help me?

I'm trying to boot iAtkos S3 v2 on a Dell Inspiron 5150 with:

Mobile Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.2 GHz

Intel 852 PM chipset

Nvidia Geforce Go FX5200 32MB DDR RAM video card.

My BIOS doesn't seem to have any ACPI option. My disk is formatted FAT32, the boot flag is set (with GPartEd).

I boot with the flag -v... I get past Chameleon, and onto a black screen, but it hangs with 'Still waiting for root device'.

I boot with -v -x... same.

I boot with -v busratio=20 cpus=1... same.

I also tried -x -v platform=X86PC, -f and platform=i386 to no avail.

There's no Firewire setting in my BIOS.

I tried jumping my IDE drive to make it a Primary Slave drive... no results there either.

What am I doing wrong? Could someone shed a light? Sorry if a solution is already posted somewhere :/

Try booting using -v npci=0x2000

Kernel panic.

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x4fdcb4 "A kext releasing a(n) OSArray has corrupted the registry. "@/Users/nawcom/Builds/xnu-1456.1.26/libkern/c++/OSObject.cpp.244

Happened just where the original errors were thrown.

A little progress, I suppose :)

This time I get

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x4fbda8): "A kext releasing a(n) OSArray has corrupted the registry. "@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/libkern/c++/OSObject.cpp.244

Thanks again for helping me. I'm persevering :hammer:

This time I get

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x4fbda8): "A kext releasing a(n) OSArray has corrupted the registry. "@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/libkern/c++/OSObject.cpp.244

Thanks again for helping me. I'm persevering :hammer:

Can you post a picture of the whole kernel panic please.

Could you give me some brief instructions / a link to do that please? Sorry... I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to stuff like this... :/

Do you have a running Mac / Hackint0sh? Or a vmware install of OS X?

I do, yes. I have a VMWare 10.7.4 install or a 10.8.2 install, whichever's best.

On either you will need to open up disk utility and restore your Install Disc to your USB Drive. Once its completed download chameleon from below and install it to your newly created USB Install drive. Now delete the file I mentioned earlier from the USB drive and try to boot with the mod cd again. This time you wont need to eject as the USB doesn't go in the disc drive :wink2:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3sgj3tsw4gtbkg9

Still stumped I'm afraid. Sorry. I managed to get iATKOS S3 v2 onto the USB via Disk Utility. I had to convert the iATKOS iso to a dmg to do so with a hdiutil convert /path/imagefile.iso -format UDRW -o /path/convertedimage.dmg

I then installed Chameleon to the USB drive, however after a reboot the Chameleon files were no longer visible on the USB drive! Not really sure why..

Once I had installed again to the USB, I tried looking for the kext in Chameleon.Backups > 2012.12.02 > Extra > Extensions, but nothing by the name of ElliottForceLegacyLegacyRTC.kext.

No, no ElliottForceLegacyLegacyRTC.kext in System/Library/Extensions. Nothing even close to that name. Where else can I look? Should I just try booting?

Copy the legacy kernel and preboot.dmg from the mod cd to the Extra folder on the install drive

I tried booting... and guess what? Install prompt! Wow! Thanks.

However, it can't find my HDD. Is there any way I can fix this/do I need to jump my hard drive/is it a driver problem?

Also, I can't find the legacy kernel on Nawcom's ModCD with 7zip or my VMware install. I have hidden files & folders on, but still nothing. What sort of file is it? Whereabouts would it be?

Thanks again,

Alistair

I tried booting... and guess what? Install prompt! Wow! Thanks.

However, it can't find my HDD. Is there any way I can fix this/do I need to jump my hard drive/is it a driver problem?

Also, I can't find the legacy kernel on Nawcom's ModCD with 7zip or my VMware install. I have hidden files & folders on, but still nothing. What sort of file is it? Whereabouts would it be?

Thanks again,

Alistair

Add this file to the S/L/E folder on your install USB and add -f to your boot flags,

JMicron36xATA.kext.zip

Here is the legacy kernel,

legacy_kernel.zip

The same kernel panic occurs with the 'ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext'. I can't find this kext anywhere on the USB drive to delete it. I've looked in /Extras/Extensions and S/L/E.

Also, I don't seem to be able to boot into the legacy kernel, even though I have -v -f /legacy_kernel as my boot flag. I also tried without the slash, but nothing.