MDP/Thunderbolt question.

Amit Meena

15 posts in this topic

Hello,

first of all lemme tell you that i'm planning to build a new Rig and as the prices are real high here for each and every product i wanted to get everything cleared in my mind before making the purchase(as returns don't work here),

this is the Right what i'm planning to buy.

GA-Z77X-UP5 TH(can change if display will work with a MDP slot in GFX card)

core i7 3770k

MSI HD6870 Hawk(can change this - read below)

Apple Thunderbolt Display(can't change ,love it :D)

now here comes the important questions.

can we use a Apple Thunderbolt Display with a hackint0sh Rig via HDMI-MDP cable or any other kind of similar cables ?

if we can't than is there any other way to do it ?

if i buy a UD5H board and gets a GFX card with MDP slot on it , the display will work ?

and by the working display i mean 2560*1440 resolution and other features also working.

Thank You.

guys i found this video on YT ::: http://tinyurl.com/cvhadse

and on it some guys says this :::

I own this motherboard with an i7 3770k processor and 16GB ram (2x8) and a Thunderbolt Display. It works flawlessly BUT the Thunderbolt Display is not 100% working. Sometimes it would not give me sound/camera/USB ports on boots and sometimes it has full functionality but I'm sure an update from apple in the new desktop ivy bridge will solve that. Cheers!

I got if working...it seems to be quite stable now...also the thunderbolt display with all the ports works great...I did not try the hotswap thing as I just have one display so no need for that...it works to connect a FW drive and disconnect it etc so I am happy with that :) thanks anyway

so i know now that the display will work with the onboard thunderbolt port but what i more need to know now is the display will work with the mini Display port on any Gfx card or not ?

Thank You for giving me your time to read this :)

BTW is there no one here have a Thunderbolt Display ?

It would be interesting to ask to those people who claimed that the thunderbolt display is working on their hackintsh further details about the graphic card they're using.

I'm afraid that the ATI Radeon HD6870 is confirmed to work only with the Cinema Display (via mini displayport).

It would be interesting to ask to those people who claimed that the thunderbolt display is working on their hackintsh further details about the graphic card they're using.

I'm afraid that the ATI Radeon HD6870 is confirmed to work only with the Cinema Display (via mini displayport).

i just found this please check the first comment ::: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3189887?start=15&tstart=0

and BTW ACD's camera also will work with the HD6870 ?

The TB Display is advertised as being backward compatible with the mini displayport connector. Nevertheless, lot of people reported that this is not the case.

For the camera and the ACD, I suppose that you have to plug the usb connectors to make the other ports work.

The TB Display should be backward compatible with the mini displayport connector.

For the camera and the ACD, I suppose that you have to plug the usb connectors to make the other ports work.

i talked to a lots of people about it and all of them said it won't work bcoz things goes in this manner

• TB port -> TB display (works)
  • TB port -> mDP display (works)
  • mDP port -> mDP display (works)
  • mDP port -> TB display (does not work)

bed time.....good night

i talked to a lots of people about it and all of them said it won't work bcoz things goes in this manner

• TB port -> TB display (works)
  • TB port -> mDP display (works)
  • mDP port -> mDP display (works)
  • mDP port -> TB display (does not work)

bed time.....good night

Hi Everybody,

I ask myself if i plug a thunderbolt display on TB port on Z77x-UP5 TH MB with a geforce on PCIe 16x port, OSX works with PCIe GPU (gt 640 for me) or Internal GPU (Intel DSL3510L chip on UP5 MB)... Or both ???

Sorry for my poor english

Have a nice day.

Franck

Hi Everybody,

I ask myself if i plug a thunderbolt display on TB port on Z77x-UP5 TH MB with a geforce on PCIe 16x port, OSX works with PCIe GPU (gt 640 for me) or Internal GPU (Intel DSL3510L chip on UP5 MB)... Or both ???

Sorry for my poor english

Have a nice day.

Franck

i don't think its gonna work that way........to use the thunderbolt port you need to remove the GFX card from the slot(Note: this is from my knowledge only).......but after connecting the display to the intigreted TB port you'll not get full support i think.

BTW guys i received my board today and also the CPU ,so please suggest me a gfx card with mDP.