random switches of user setting (wallpaper & launchpad icons) after reboot

3square

11 posts in this topic

i've been having a weird problem with my 10.8 ML setup. It seems like my hackintosh is having a split personality disorder.

every now and then when i restart normally or from a random KP, my user setting would switches back and forth. This happens with two instances of settings; wallpaper, launchpad icons, and some app settings. I use this app call Blotter, where it overlay my calendar over a selected monitor (i have multiple monitors) of my choosing. That app would switches it's location in between monitors as well as the other settings i mentioned.

i have a feeling that it has something to do with my user account setup. a while ago i had to restore and used migration assistant. That might have created two concurrent user setting perhaps? so every time i reboot it loads different one?

thanks for any help in resolving this issue.

Set your systemid in boot.plist

Below is the format. (Use plist eidt pro to add a new entry)

Name: Systemid

Value: You can find it in system information-> Hardware UUID

In reality, lots of value is ok here. But you have to use the one that you will use all the time. So things won't reset anymore.

BTW, the first time you restart your hack after adding this entry, setting will be reset. After that, everything is just fine.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks! i finally got some free time to try this out. but can you clarify on the boot.plist is it the org.chameleon.boot.plist in extra? not the boot file in root correct?

Yes. Chameleon setting plist.

• 10 months later...

Set your systemid in boot.plist

Below is the format. (Use plist eidt pro to add a new entry)

Name: Systemid

Value: You can find it in system information-> Hardware UUID

In reality, lots of value is ok here. But you have to use the one that you will use all the time. So things won't reset anymore.

BTW, the first time you restart your hack after adding this entry, setting will be reset. After that, everything is just fine.

So I did this with clover (getting the same system ID to show in System Info as when I boot with chameleon) and this still happens! It doesn't happen when I boot off Chameleon... just clover. If my system id's are the same between both boots, I'm not sure what else to do. This is one of the last couple issues I need to work out (knock on wood), so I greatly appreciate any help.

So I did this with clover (getting the same system ID to show in System Info as when I boot with chameleon) and this still happens! It doesn't happen when I boot off Chameleon... just clover. If my system id's are the same between both boots, I'm not sure what else to do. This is one of the last couple issues I need to work out (knock on wood), so I greatly appreciate any help.

It shouldn't bother. IMO, just stick to one bootloader. You'd better not switch between chameleon or Clover.

Also, I am just using one bootloader. I only used Chameleon to test. It's not working any better after trying it again. The issue happens 70% of the time. Sometimes after having it shutdown it will come up right and not have the wallpaper reset or the extra virtual desktop created in mission control.