[HOW TO UPDATED] 10.8.5 on barebone Asus T3-P5G965

tepaks

5 posts in this topic

Impossible does not exist! There is only one question: HOW TO ...

If You already followed this How To just scroll down to the update section.

Yes, this underdog, a natural born iHack. can run Cougar 10.8.2

This sequel of HOW TO on ASUS T3 is based on tutorial by Brian Sweet and some other sources adapted for T3-P5G965.
I truly believe this is as good as a vanilla installation except for few kexts I haven't found the way to do it without.
Having said that, those kexts are not from Apple so it's safe to use regular Apple update but you never know for sure.
Keep in mind that I've modified attached VoodooHDA.kext to accomodate T3-P5G965 onboard audio device.
Special thanks to Zaledar for his contribution while testing & troubleshooting this guide.

Requirements

1. Mac OS X Mountain Lion install app from APP STORE
2. 8GB USB flash drive
3. fully operational iHack
4. Lots of time and patience
5. :excl:A clean bad sector free HDD or a brand new HDD or SSD ( do not use refurbished HDD, Iv'e learned this lesson hard way )
6. ASUS T3-P5G965.zip Please explore this .zip archive so you'll know what I'm taking about
7. Basic knowledge of OS X ( some steps are not described in detail )

Preparing your target ASUS T3-P5G965

BIOS

:excl:Before You begin I strongly suggest You shod replace RTC battery with a fresh one. This will prevent erratical boot sequence behaviour.

:excl:If You have an T3PG965a ( black one ) STOP here! This HOW-TO isn't suitable for nor tested on those barebones! :excl:

iHack translate: "Mac NVRAM reset" is same as "PC RTC reset" only difference is on a real Mac it's a question of right Keyboard sequence.
On a PC you have no choice than to open the case and fiddle with RTC jumper & POWER button to get same result.

1. :excl:For this part you'll need a FAT32 formatted USB drive containing ACPI903a.rom and
T3AHCI.CMO.zip
2. Go to EZ Flash and load unsupported ACPI903a.rom ( this will speed boot-up of your machine & make possible to install 10.8 )
3. Go to O.C. profile and load settings.cmo ( this will save me a lot of time explaining numerous BIOS settings )
4. :excl:Check all BIOS settings to match your actual configuration.
5. Save & Exit
6. :excl:Go to the BIOS settings again and check AHCI section.
7. Save & Exit

MAIN BOARD

1. Flip the power switch off and open the case
2. :excl:Make sure all USB jumpers are set to +5VSB ( 4 on the MB and 2 on Card-reader )

VIDEO

1. :excl:on-board GPU won't work so you better check this HCL list. This will save you a lot of time and frustrations.

HARDWARE

1. :excl:Keep in mind that original PSU ( 250 Watt ) is not designed for majority of currently available video cards
ASUS calculated this PSU to barely support max configuration but didn't took high power demanding GPU upgrades in mind.
CPU alone, depending on which one you have, can consume everything between 65 and 105 Watts!

GF 8400 GS, GF 210 S will work with stock PSU but for GF 9800 GT you'll need at least 350 Watt PSU
2. ADVICE: Check this HCL first and buy a silent version of your favorite GPU. Keep in mind limited available space!

Formatting your USB drive ( on source machine )

1. Open up Disk Utility.
2. Click on your USB drive in the left sidebar.
3. Click on the Erase tab in the middle.
4. Choose “Mac OS X Extended Journaled” as the format, and give your drive a label it “ML USB”.
5. Click on Apply and confirm erase. ( leave Disk Utility open, as you’ll need it later )
6. Install Chameleon boot loader on USB drive

Preparing your USB drive with 10.8 ( on source machine )

1. Mount your Mountain Lion downloaded from the app store:
Navigate to Applications
right click "Install OS X Mountain Lion" and click "Show Package Contents" -­‐>
navigate to Contents -­‐> SharedSupport -­‐> Double click "InstallESD.dmg"
2. Show hidden files in Finder by running the following command in Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

3. Reload Finder by running the following command in Terminal:

killall Finder

4. Run the following command in Terminal to mount “BaseSystem.dmg” within the 10.8 DMG:

open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg

5. Switch back to Disk Utility.
6. Click on your flash drive in the left sidebar.
7. Click on the Restore button in the middle area.
8. Drag “Mac OS X Base System” from your desktop into the empty Source box.
9. Drag your "ML USB" partition ( :excl:not the USB drive it self! ) to Destination box.
10. Click on “Restore” and confirm "Erase destination" This process will take some time depending on the speed of your flash drive.
11. When it’s finished, you’ll end up with two “Mac OS X Base System” drives in your Finder. Figure out which one is your USB drive ( you can right-click > Get Info and use the capacity as an indicator ), and open it.
12. Once you’ve opened Mac OS X Base System ( the one that’s your flash drive ), go to /System/Installation.
13. You’ll see a symlink for Packages. Drag it to trash and create new folder and name it "Packages".
14. Open up "Mac OS X Install ESD" image ( not the USB drive ) and copy everything within Packages to the empty Packages folder you created on USB drive.
15. Cougar is now on your USB drive. Let's modify some files to make it a proper iHack boot drive.

Adding necessary files to the USB drive ( on source machine )

1. Extract the contents of “ML_GM_OSx86_Files.zip” to your Mac OS X desktop.
2. Copy the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext & FakeSMC.kext from zip file to /System/Library/Extensions on your flash drive.
3. Copy the OSInstall file to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/, overwriting the file that’s already there.
4. Copy the OSInstall.mpkg file to /System/Installation/Packages/, overwriting the file that’s already there.
5. Run the Chameleon installation package again. Make sure to install this package to USB flash drive,
6. :excl:Check Chameleon_installer_log.txt You shod see something like this regarding your USB drive

/dev/disk1 <== this number can be different on your system
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *8.1 GB disk1
1: EFI 09.7 MB disk1s1 <== if you don't see this, USB is not bootable, fix it before continuing
2: Apple_HFS Mac OS X Base System 7.7 GB disk1s2

7. Copy your own SMBIOS, org.chameleon.Boot.plist $ dsdt.aml to /Extra.
8. Edit org.chameleon.Boot.plist and make sure that:

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>No</string>

9. Copy mach_kernel from the root of the Mac OS X Install ESD volume and paste it into the root of your flash drive.
10. Copy extracted files from ASUS T3-P5G965.zip to the root of your flash drive. You’ll need this later.

Installing 10.8 from your USB drive ( on taret machine )

1. :excl:Boot and hit DEL, enter BIOS & make your USB Flash drive default Boot drive. Make sure it's set to "Emulate HDD drive"
2. Once in Chameleon, highlight your flash drive and add -v to the end, then push enter. You’ll see a lot of text fly by.
3. Once you get into the installer, choose partition where to install 10.8 to.
4. Go to Utilities Disk Utility and format that partition to HFS+ ( Mac OS Extended Journaled, GUID) and name it "OS X"
5. The installation process will take about 20 minutes, depending on the speed of your USB drive and your SSD or HDD.

Preparing freshly installed 10.8 ( on target machine )

1. Boot ( F8 ) again from your USB installation drive.
2. In the Utilities menu, go to Terminal and enter following commands:

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/"OS X"/System/Library/Extensions/

followed by:

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/"OS X"/System/Library/Extensions/

and finally:

reboot

Booting 10.8 ( on target machine )

1. Once in Chameleon hit [-], (minus or F8), highlight your OS X partition and type -v and hit enter. You’ll see a lot of text fly by.
2. You’ll hopefully end up in the setup screen of 10.8. Go through that process and finish setup of 10.8 ( hint: network: not connected )
3. Open "System Preferences" => "Security and Privacy", click the lock and give it your password then set "Allow applications downloaded from" to anywhere.
4. Now, install included Chameleon package. As the destination drive, choose your 10.8 installation drive. leave default options as they are.
5. Copy /extra from "Mac OS X Install ESD Base System" /extra to OS X/Extra.
6. Eject "Mac OS X Install ESD BaseSystem" and remove USB drive.
7. cross your fingers and reboot
8. If your iHack boots you are almost done!

Post install ( on target machine )

1. Run Kext Wizard and install VoodooHDA.kext and RealtekRTL81xx.kext to S/L/E
if your GPU has a HDMI, to prevent KP use edited VoodooHDA.kext included in zip file
2. Repair permissions and rebuild cache on S/L/E
3. Reboot and check audio & network
4. GF 8400 GS, GF 210 S and GF 9800 GT work OOB

:excl:Graphic card problems are OS X related and not exclusive to this platform nor iHack in general

ADVICE: pause here and find solution for your GPU.

Don't forget to repair permissions and rebuild cache on S/L/E

5. Check Your card reader. If it doesn't work, leave your iHack on, open the case and disconnect card reader from raiser card.

:excl:Insert a CF or a SSD and reconnect it. Be careful not to make a short.

If it works, repair permissions and rebuild cache on S/L/E

I know that I sound like your mother telling you to wash your hands every time you ... just repair damn permissions and rebuild cache!

6. Reboot, and and when Chameleon loads hit F8 and type UseKernelCache=Yes -v

7. if everything works fine to speed up boot permanently, edit org.chameleon.Boot.plist and make sure that:

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>Yes</string>

8. Backup all edited or aded kexts. Also back-up all loaded video card kexts even you didn't edited any of them. Just in case ...

Murphy's Law: "If anything can go wrong, it will"

1. Make a full image of your SSD/HDD ( with software you are familiar with ) to an external drive.
2. Download 10.8.2 Combo update, install it but don't reboot
3. :excl:Check your edited or added kexts in S/L/E and if needed reinstall or reedit them then repair permissions and rebuild cache on S/L/E
IMPORTANT: This is "make it or brake it" point of this HOW TO
4. Cross your fingers again and Reboot
5. If your system doesn't boot properly, restore image made in step 1 and find the culprit. 99.9% chance it's Video Card kext
6. Optionally to make SLEEP function work install SleepEnabler.kext.zip
:excl:System will wake instantly but this may cause problems with Power-off and/or VoodooHDA volume settings :(
if you have Power-off problem read this

​Disclaimer:

Iv'e written this procedure while installing 10.8 on my spare ASUS T3 and using primary T3 iHack running 10.7.5
If You don't have second machine you can use the one you have but swap your HDD or SSD with a spare one so you can back pedal if anything goes wrong.
Of course, there are lots of tweaks you have to apply to this freshly installed iHack but that is a bit off topic sins it's not exclusive to 10.8.x nor ASUS T3.
Some steps may sound illogical or at least confusing and obsolete. Thrust me, each and every one are essential You have to follow them exactly!

Just for reference

This is my spare rig used for testing this HOW TO:

ASUS T3-P5G965
Original 250 W PSU
INTEL C2D 2.66 GHz
Corsair 4 x 512 MB DDR2 667 MHz
80 Gb WD SATA HDD ( Cougar 10.8.2 installed and tuned: from 0 to working desktop: < 60 sec )
NEC SATA CD/R/RW DVD/R/RW DL
GF 210 S 1024 ( VGA & HDMI working individually and in dual screen mode. HDMI not tested )
8 Gb LaCie iamaKey USB drive used for installation

Also i've also tested this HOW TO on my primary rig

ASUS T3-P5G965
ASUS VW193D LCD
Cooler Master 350 W PSU
INTEL QC 2.4 GHz G0 SLACR
Corsair 4x2 GB DDR2 667 MHz ( VS2GB667D2 )
OCZ Vertex 2 120 Gb SSD ( System )
WD SATA HDD 2 Tb 64 Mb Cache ( Data Storage )
Samsung SATA CD/R/RW DVD/R/RW DL
Gigabyte GF 9800 GT 1024 DDR3
Alesis M1 Active 520 USB NFM speakers
Philips HS 1200 Digital Wireless Headset
Philips SPC 1330 NC USB Web Cam
Apple Pro Keyboard
Apple Mouse
8 Gb LaCie iamaKey USB drive used for installation

- this is probably max T3 configuration ( by all means, please prove me wrong )
- Cougar 10.8.2 installed and tuned: from 0 to working desktop: < 40 sec :thumbsup_anim: Shut down time < 1 sec :ihw_wow:
- With Sleep enabler installed, entering sleep mode < 2 sec, wake-up time < 2 sec :ihw_wow: ( sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 )

Easter Egg: go to BIOS boot settings and enable "Full Screen Logo" and disable "Hit DEL Message Display" then Save & Exit :wink_anim:

:excl: attached dsdt.aml , smbios.plist and settings.cmo files are for reference purpose only! Use them at own risk.
BEST PRACTICE: boot without any DSDT and create a new one. Recreate smbios.plist and org.chameleon.boot.plist

:excl:This HOW TO is subject to change without notice. If you need support send me a PM and I'll do my best to help you.

UPDATE:

- download 10.8.5 combo update
- make an image of working configuration
- copy all added and or edited kexts
- install combo update

- don't reboot
- compare added and or edited kext's
- if needed reedit or reinstall kext's or just as I did take the plunge
- repair permissions, rebuild cache, cross your fingers and reboot

Steve, R.I.P. With all due respect, I don't want your hardware, just your software!

• Like 2

Upgrade ASUS T3-P5G965 from 10.7.5 to 10.8.2 [sUCCESS], thanks Tepaks for this How-TO.

Before, my computer was fully operational ASUS T3-P5G965 iHack running 10.7.5.

I used old tepaks HowTo http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/269865-how-to-1068-on-barebone-asus-t3-p5g965/

and http://www.insanelym...asus-t3-p5g965/

All is Working Fine with 10.8.2 :

- Stable

- As fast as 10.7.5 : applications, games etc.

- AHCI BIOS boost my SSD

- Boot and shutdown are very fast

- Sound OK with VoodooHDA modify by Tepaks

- No videos problem, all is working fine, HD movies, games like Diablo III

- No Network problem

First I have a problem with ShutDown, I forgot this :

Make sure all USBPWR jumpers are set to +5VSB

That solve my problem.

My config :

ASUS T3-P5G965

INTEL C2D Q6600 2.40 GHz

8 GB DDR2 667 MHz

60 Gb SSD OCZ

GF 9800GT GTS 1024mb DVI

You can update easily, just follow this How-to.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

UPDATE:

- download 10.8.5 combo update
- make an image of working configuration ( just in case ... )
- copy all added and or edited kexts
- install combo update

:excl: possible KP : make sure you have installed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext   :excl: ( I've removed mine at some point for some reason I can't remember any more )

- don't reboot
- compare added and or edited kext's
- if needed reedit or reinstall kext's or just as I did if you have same VGA, take the plunge!
-  repair permissions, rebuild cache, cross your fingers and reboot ...