ML installed smoothly, only loads from USB bootloader (Asus G53SW)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

noamdev

noamdev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
(Dunno if this belongs in the install forum or post-install forum. If this is the wrong one, please move)

Hi,

I have an Asus G53SW laptop and I installed Mountain Lion alongside Windows 7 from a premade USB image. The installation went smoothly. Afterwards I ran the windows recovery tool to recover my MBR and that went well as well.
I got to a point where :
A - Windows loads clean (so no damage done)
B - I can start both windows and ML from the USB stick loader

So, I'm looking to get the 3rd and final part : loading ML without the USB stick. I have tried a few things and all of them failed :
- Install chameleon from the windows app (reboots immediately)
- Follow various tboot / chain0 methods of editing the windows BMR with bcdedit.exe (always get MBR errors about files being corrupt or not existing)
- Downloaded an ISO of chameleon (r2069), used EasyBCD to add the ISO as a boot option. Chameleon loads fine, get kernel panic when I try to load Mac OSX.

The weird thing is that after all of the attempts, it still works when I boot to it from the USB stick, so it feels like the installation did work.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could try / where I should look to find out where the problem is?

Thanks!

slayer2333

slayer2333

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

- Downloaded an ISO of chameleon (r2069), used EasyBCD to add the ISO as a boot option. Chameleon loads fine, get kernel panic when I try to load Mac OSX.

Can you link your verbos page to see what caused the KP ? Maybe the problem is coming from the FakeSMC.Kext (try to delete the oemsbios inside the plugin folder and boot again).

noamdev

noamdev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, here it is :
Posted Image
Looks like AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

Also, another thing I found out : If I use the flags -v -c -x then it boots successfully. But I'm not 100% sure what they mean, and I think its better to get it to a cleanly booting state...

p.H

p.H

InsanelyMac Legend

• FAQ Team
  • 767 posts
  • Interests:Hackintosh & NBA & COD4 promod
use your usb stick to boot into your osx
then install chameleon manually. That should just work :)

noamdev

noamdev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Since Windows 7 is my main (first) partition, if I install chameleon on Mac it doesn't pop up in the boot menu.
Googling a bit told me that -x is safe mode, which makes sense that it would change things when booting up. I'm beginning to think that since the USB stick is an installation USB, it automatically adds -x when booting, which is what causes the mac to boot from it.
However, I can boot into safe mode, which is a plus.

noamdev

noamdev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok... A bit more progress : This thread ( http://www.insanelym...on-quick-setup/ ) does give an alternative kext for the one that is crashing for me. The question is - how do I install it? They list macdrive (Which isn't working for me) or an existing installation. Can I use my safe-mode boot to do this? Couldn't find a definitive answer?

(TL;DR : How do I replace a kext when starting OSX in safe mode?)

iFIRE

iFIRE

InsanelyMacaholic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts
very easy, boot with -x -f -s

mount /
cd /System/Library/Extensions
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/name_kext_for_remove
reboot

or this from installer

restart KP ANY KEXT?

Boot from your install DVD/USB media,go to the top bar,Utilities > Terminal >:

Type: cd /Volumes/name_of_your_Lion_drive/System/Library/Extensions

Then just remove the offending kext by ex: rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext then just "reboot" Replace the partition and kext names accordingly.

noamdev

noamdev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,
I was able to use the "kext utility" from safe mode to update the step1 kexts from the thread I linked to, and it boots! ^_^
I also installed the atheros kexts and now I have wifi, so I'm posting from the hackintosh!
Thanks for the help guys.
Next missions : Get audio working, and fix red<->green color inverting in images (WTF!?!)

noamdev

noamdev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Problem : I also needed to remove AppleHDA.kext, which I did with the same method. It worked, but after a reboot it reappeared. Any ideas why and how I can stop this for next time?

noamdev

noamdev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Rebuilding the kext cache from the terminal in the installation disc seemed to have solved the problem. It looks like I have a working hackintosh :)
Thanks guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy