Mountain Lion - nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M - Window/Icon Animation Hangs

LonelyTV

12 posts in this topic

TL;DR version: Window open and close animations hang and the computer eventually 'locks up'.

Full story: I've been trying to get Mountain Lion up and running on my laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad T61) which has been unable to run Os X due to it having a nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M GPU. The previous versions of Os X lacked support for it so I gave up on it. However, when I gave 10.8.2 a try I found that it natively supported the GPU with acceleration and all. However, it has been giving me a strange issue that I haven't been able to troubleshoot.

In both the installer and operating system I often have a "beach ball" (not spinning) as a cursor, rarely does it turn to an arrow and the only time does it spin is when a program is "not responding" and only when the cursor is over that non-responsive window. However, the real issue lies in the way windows open and close, as well as icon animation. If I open "About this Mac" from the Apple menu the window will fade in correctly however, If I were to close it or click "More info" there is a 95% chance that it will stop mid-fade and remain on the screen overlaying the "System Information" window. The same happens any other window that fades in, sometimes I'll get a tiny, pre-fade in window in the center of my desktop that is interactive, but it's super small and I can't read anything on it. The same goes for icons if there is any animation it will freeze and leave a residual icon. See the screen shot for an example. Eventually, enough windows will start doing this that I can't use the computer. Either it will stop working completely (as in it will become non-responsive) or no other windows will open (such as, opening Safari won't open a window). I have to reboot to "fix it".

p0rIU.jpg

I have a DSDT installed, but I haven't edited it. And, I've tried other graphics related KEXTs (even rolled back to 10.8.0 thinking 10.8.2's KEXTs were causing it), however since 10.8 is the first version to support this video card none of them worked. I'm not having much luck with anything else.

If anyone has had similar experiences or can think of another way towards a solution, I'm all ears / eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

I also have t61 with the same graphics chip, and I also have the same problems with the display as you describe, except I have Lion 10.7.4 installed. I have not found a solution for the display problems either.

How did you get Mountain lion to install?

I installed Mountain Lion by using the tutorial created by Tonymac on his website.

The solution to this issue is to use the "cpus=1" flag at boot. However, it will impact your performance. Protocol X has found a long term solution that allows for both cores/CPUs to run without any issues. Attached is his packaged TSCSync KEXTs that worked for me. You may run into a Kernel Panic / hang at boot with these on 10.8.2 so you will have to roll back AppleACPIPlatform which can be found here. Other than that issue the computer seems to take to 10.8 very well. The only things so far that aren't working are sleep, shutdown (properly), native WLAN (had to swap the cards), and possibly speed stepping (I haven't toyed with it much).

Good luck.

T61_TSCSync_FIX.zip

• 1 month later...

Yes, to both. I've been running 10.8 on my Thinkpad T61 for a couple of months. Everything but a proper shut down, restart, and sleep work you have to remove the battery and power to get it to turn off completely.

• Like 1

Hi, did you ever solve this problem?

I have a T61 with 10.7.5 Lion using x3100 graphics and I have the same exact issue as first post. My icons will fade, but ONLY after I sleep.

Everything else on my machine is flawless (sleep, shutdown, restart, video, etc.) just animation fade after wake from sleep.

First try E/E, if that doesn't work go for S/L/E. I always put them in that order in case they cause a problem I don't have to weed through all my KEXT to remove new ones. But, either place works. And, yes all three need to go in.

I think this works! Wow!

I need time to do testing, but it looks like everything on my T61 is perfect. Running 10.7.5 32-bit with full graphics, sleep, restart, shutdown working. Waiting on my Airport card to get here to swap out. I dual boot with Win 7 64-bit.

Anyone that needs help with my setup, please let me know.

I started by following this guide:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/281430-my-mini-guide-for-install-1074-on-lenovot61-7661-cto/

Except I used 10.7.5 InstallESD.dmg instead of 10.7.4. I've been talking with the OP of that thread - he says that his method won't work with ML unfortunately. But I'm completely content with a perfectly working Lion :)

I will be posting a guide in due time. I need to make sure my WiFi will work (when it gets here). And I'm also working on Bluetooth (yes I have the internal bluetooth recognized, but dies after sleep).