Windows on Guid(gpt) or Lion on Mbr

5 posts in this topic

Acro here :)

Proposed solution and inspiration to others

I wouldn't normally ask this, but Windows Guid does seem to be a better option to me, rather then lion on MBR. I am not entirely sure if my motherboard for the Acer listed bellow would boot a Windows Guid partition. (Efi supported? hm65, I dont know alot about that so i dont know where to research).

The problem

The main reason i am posting this is beause every time i use an automated tool to make a lion installer it breaks my installation, (boots but doesnt install) but if i compile the installer myself by hand and do not add the mbr patch Osinstall thing, <you know the one, my installer does install. Therefore no Lion installer Mbr + no Duelboot :( very sad.

Thanks all for any thoughts on the matter

Thank you HAUSBER yes this is the manual way of patching it, Just like an auto tool such as my hack would, it appears that my install framework in /version A is called simply "installer", the patch provided for my version is called OSinstaller from the links to .zips provided. I suppose i could rename the patch to installer? but I'm worried it will break the patch or indeed the path, thus causing the installer to fail, on the other hand, if my hack replaced my "installer" with Osinstaller then the previous worry could be the cause of my problem. what an odd bug.

It seems that I should real do an MBR install because as yet windows on Guid isn't really supported by the community (although it should) sinse its becoming easy to install osx and linux, if windows can run on GUID and it does in some cases why is there not a section on this in the forums?

just want to clarify, These steps where already complete before i posted this topic.

1. Restore BaseSystem.dmg to HFS partition. √

2. Copy InstallESD.dmg/mach_kernel to (HFS partition) BaseSystem.dmg/mach_kernel √

3. Remove (HFS partition) BaseSystem.dmg/System/Installation/Packages √

4. Copy InstallESD.dmg/Packages to (HFS partition) BaseSystem.dmg/System/Installation/Packages √

Steps you have recomended.

5. OSInstall.mpkg replace to

/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg √

6. OSInstall replace to

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/OSInstall X

Wtf? OSInstall replace, I can't replace a file with another file of a different name without a name change. if i had OSInstall and Install in the same folder there would be literally no result. one must go for the other to work, especially as there are links to this file a few folders up. if i follow the instructions it breaks my install as described before in opening post. I appreciate that your trying to help but your suggesting what i have tried several times.

6. Boot to (HFS partition) BaseSystem.dmg to install Mac OS X.

Hold on a sec i think i know the problem

I was over thinking it, i followed the wrong path and went down an almost identical path.

read re read and trust what others tell you. thanks HUSABER for putting the facts in front of me ha ha.