G73SW ML 10.8.2 Install

jeffc2009

398 posts in this topic

Hi Mal,

Thanks for the reply :)

I have tried that file, but that is for 10.8.2 and it won't install without altering some of the config files. Are you sure you are on 10.8.1? Did you alter the file to install or change your system definition (SMBIOS.plist) to Mac Pro to be able to install this?

Got it!

The one mal linked to was for 10.8.2. I lose audio in 10.8.2 so I haven't got that far yet, but for those on 10.8.1 you want this file: http://www.nvidia.co...f20-driver.html

If you don't change your SMBIOS.plist to Mac Pro, you will need to follow this:

Download the file and mount the dmg. Drag the installer package to the desktop so you can make changes to it. Right click on the installer package (304.00.00f20 Web Release) and click Show Package Contents. Go to Contents then open Distribution.dist in text edit.

Remove this code:

if (found_hardware == 0) {
 my.result.title = system.localizedString("unsupported_title");
 my.result.message = system.localizedString("unsupported_message");
 my.result.type = "Fatal";
}

Save the file and run the installer.

AFTER INSTALL (REGARDLESS OF HOW YOU INSTALLED) - VERY IMPORTANT!!

Open terminal and repair permissions:

sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

You will notice all the repairs are for the Nvidia kexts just installed!

Now, run the perl script again by pasting this into terminal:

sudo perl -pi -e '$c+=s/\x8b\x81\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\xeb\x06\x8b\x81\x20\x0c\x00\x00/\xb8\x02\x00\x00\x00\x90\xeb\x06\xb8\x00\x00\x00\x00\x90/; END { printf "%s: %d substitution%s made.\n",($c==1 ? "Success" : "Error"),$c,(!$c || $c>1 ? "s" : ""); $?=($c!=1); }' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

I had 1 Substitution.

Reboot.... and pray... I have sleep now. ;D

If you do not want to edit the Dist file, you can do as LatinMcG suggests and either use Pacifist to extract the 8 kexts and put them in S/L/E then repair permissions (or use Kext Wizzard to install) or if you don't use Pacifist, there is another cool app that is free (Pacifist is not) called unpkg. It will extract the files to a folder and you can do the same from there. See http://www.timdoug.com/unpkg/

Now all we need is Audio working on 10.8.2. I think it needs to be done by editing the DSDT to remove the HDEF (as previously suggested by LatinMcG) then using VoodooHDA - newer versions of VoodooHDA include HDMI audio fixes so watch this space!

• Like 1

oh perhaps i confused the file names...but i was pretty sure it was the file from nvidia website, but i did a mistake with the version! Sorry for that...but anyway, as i said, now we have sleep working (i had a surprise since i didn't know it worked since i tried it and it just worked ;) )

• 2 weeks later...

how did you got sleep?

I'm 10.8.1 or 10.8.2 but never did. (tried a lot of kexts.. tried to patch myself.. tried to create ssdt and with bios modded )

did it (upgrade to 10.8.2, using original AICPM with no patch) and Nvidia latest for 10.8.2, opengl patch as post #29

no luck

the sleep start going black.. but I see HDD blinking.. and also the led of the optical mouse

I have to hard poweroff the lappie

We do not have this working on 10.8.2 yet. If you follow post 29 on 10.8.1 it should work...

let me tell.. I'll test your recipe. But I think it's not enough.

I had only one time an half sleep. but a couple of months ago

after.. never.

I think those elements:

-aicpm (patched or not : my bios is unlocked)

-aigpm (I had always a good patched kext by myself) or aigmp deleted

-smbios (I believe that mbp8,2 is the closest to ours.. apart from the graphic card ATI in original mac)

-boot manager (sure, from 2009 to earlier..)

-dsdt (mine is patched by myself.. since jan2012)

-ssdt (tested tonymac and autopatched and other patcher (REVOgirl) and created from scratch)

give thousand of combinations that causes thousand of responses. and only one is a good sleep

so.. because of those elements. a real team job to have the only one real solution would be the a serious work. otherwise I think we'll drive in the fog forever

Sorry guys, I have been vacationing in EU. Looks like you guys been busy!!!! Try the new package and let me know what you think. Make sure to use patched IOAudioFamily with AppleHDA. I will try to get HDMI Audio working soon. Thanks for researching and helping out!

Hi Jeff,

Good to have you back. Hope you enjoyed your travels.

I have tried the Nov 5 files, and 10.8.2, but I have lost audio... weird thing is, the system profiler shows that there is audio, but the volume icon is dimmed out and the sys prefs show no output devices... see: http://i49.tinypic.com/34hv0bq.jpg

The funny thing is, the sys profiler now shows HDMI audio as well... do you have audio on 10.8.2 with no problems? Have you tried VoodooHDA? They claim this can get HDMI audio working, and it might be best for 10.8.2 also.

Sleep and wake are still working though, which is great :)

Have you taken a look at Clover EFI? http://www.projectos...?showtopic=2304 and http://sourceforge.n.../cloverefiboot/

I can't get it working (black screen after boot)- I'm not sure if it's a config file that I have got wrong or a kext issue etc... You might have better luck - it looks like the best chance we have to get the G73 as fully functional as possible.

Thanks,

Ellnic

EDIT: USB Superspeed is still shown in profiler, so I don't know if my USB 3 is working?

a question...haven't you got a lot of problems with toachpad of this G73SW laptop? it's getting me crazy!! It's the WORST touchpad i have ever seen on a laptop since 20 years that i am using laptops!

Have you got any clue if it's possible to replace it with another model ? I find it HORRIBLE in osx! In windows it's a bit better...but in osx it's awful! Sometimes it goes up and down and it removes things from dock, and so on...

any problem u got with it? Perhaps the driver is bad...dunno. Any suggestion? Thanks!

It's not the best that I've ever used, but it doesn't remove icons from my dock :-/ there are 2 possibilities I can think of.

1. A build up of static. The 'rubbery' coating attracts it, clean with anti static foam cleaner. RS is the best, I clean all my kit with it weekly. This link is the UK site, but you should be able to get it worldwide: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/esd-safe-clean-room-treatments-lotions-dispensers/0569284/

2. Your trackpad is faulty. I wouldn't fancy replacing it. To open up the G73SW you need to literally rip the keyboard out as its stuck in with double sided sticky tape. This means if you open it up, you'll need to buy a new keyboard as it damages it taking it out.

Try foam cleaner first ;-)

Hi Jeff,

Good to have you back. Hope you enjoyed your travels.

I have tried the Nov 5 files, and 10.8.2, but I have lost audio... weird thing is, the system profiler shows that there is audio, but the volume icon is dimmed out and the sys prefs show no output devices... see: http://i49.tinypic.com/34hv0bq.jpg

The funny thing is, the sys profiler now shows HDMI audio as well... do you have audio on 10.8.2 with no problems? Have you tried VoodooHDA? They claim this can get HDMI audio working, and it might be best for 10.8.2 also.

Sleep and wake are still working though, which is great :)

Have you taken a look at Clover EFI? http://www.projectos...?showtopic=2304 and http://sourceforge.n.../cloverefiboot/

I can't get it working (black screen after boot)- I'm not sure if it's a config file that I have got wrong or a kext issue etc... You might have better luck - it looks like the best chance we have to get the G73 as fully functional as possible.

Thanks,

Ellnic

EDIT: USB Superspeed is still shown in profiler, so I don't know if my USB 3 is working?

Thanks, I have not tried using Clover but i have been reading up on it. And there's still some tweaks to make it work. Are you using Chimera? I did a fresh install for 10.8.2 and I have everything working including audio but no hdmi/usb 3.0/SD Card reader.

I have not tried a fresh install yet, but I'm not sure if that will help. I will try later this evening. Out of interest, have you ever managed to get voodooHDA working? I tried but I get a kp on audio family something or other. I take it that you made changes to the audio kexts so that they work with 10.8.2 or is it the same as 10.8.1 - the reason I ask is because voodooHDA would most likely be update proof. I tried your sep 3 files on 10.8.2 before and lost audio, so I might be stuck on this one.

Did you repair permissions using terminal?

Sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

Are you selecting sleep from the apple menu or power button menu or just closing the lid? Closing the lid does not work for me, need to do some Dsdt work.

I think the problem may be that every G73SW has a sub model. They are all slightly different. For example, Jeff's is G73SW-XT1... I've been trying to find out what mine is, is it on the box cos I can't see it... I don't know why Asus decided to make so many revisions but if they do differ slightly it would explain a lot! One guy I spoke to said his back lit keyboard works in ML with no additional kexts- just Jeff's ones!!!

Hopefully we can do some testing on Clover if Jeff figures it out as I still think that is the best way forward.

of course yes.

no I'm using g53sw but the bios is the same

I've also modded dsdt to use lid close.. but yes.. I suppose the road is so long!

thanks for all but I'm sure you are the closest thread to the nirvana on the (x)53-sw ROG