G73SW ML 10.8.2 Install

jeffc2009

398 posts in this topic

I have a little teaser for everyone :)

post-570480-0-85195000-1383260237_thumb.png

Nothing has been added to S/L/E, No DSDT, No SSDT, No Editing Kexts (So far) Take 2 minutes to install after booting into a fresh system. Total install time 30 minutes.

Oh, and yes it's EFI :)

I have a little teaser for everyone :)

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-10-31 at 22.43.42.png

Nothing had been added to S/L/E, No DSDT, No SSDT, No Editing Kexts (So far) Take 2 minutes to install after booting into a fresh system. Total install time 30 minutes.

No way...you beat me to it! :rolleyes:  But is it through efi or chameleon because if clover detects bios, it will load chameleon to emulate uefi. If it isn't then thats good news. Don't tell us yet, I want to figure it out myself!

It's definitely EFI, there are subtle differences in the loader GUIs.. the font is slightly different, for example :)

I am running a patched BIOS now as well, so I do not need to patch AICPM or use SSDT. It just works.

@james1972, hang in there a bit longer, I might have this ready for you. 10.8 isn't that bad :P

It's definitely EFI, there are subtle differences in the loader GUIs.. the font is slightly different, for example :)

I am running a patched BIOS now, so I do not need to patch AICPM or use SSDT. It just works.

Thats great news! The only thing I'm worried about is i don't want to lose my ability to change brightness or iMessage. I know the setup is a bit different from just using chameleon. But i like the feature of being able to set the startup disk through system preferences.

Well it's work in progress :) If you want to try it risk free, you could use an external USB HDD?

Btw, what kext(s) are you currently using for brightness and function keys?

Use AsusNBFNHotkeys kext for function keys. For brightness, i injected a custom efi hex string into boot plist.

Am i the only one that experiences connection issues with this site occasionally?

It's not just you, the site has been quite temperamental recently.

AsusNBFNHotkeys has never worked for me. I use the previous version, AsusNBWMI.

​I'm not having much luck getting a battery icon to appear... I don't know anything about efi strings either. Sleep is also a bit tetchy at the moment. So I guess clover will not be ready soon ;)

Forget that, got sleep ;)

It's not just you, the site has been quite temperamental recently.

AsusNBFNHotkeys has never worked for me. I use the previous version, AsusNBWMI.

​I'm not having much luck getting a battery icon to appear... I don't know anything about efi strings either. Sleep is also a bit tetchy at the moment. So I guess clover will not be ready soon ;)

Ok good gad i don't have to curse out att again  :whistle: Do you want give mine a try? For battery, I have an installer called ireddybattery that i posted a couple posts ago. Go grab it it works fine. And disable kernel cache for now. Ill show you how to use your kernel cache if you want...Are you using a ssd?

Not using an SSD - I have 2 x 750GB 7200's. I will try the battery kexts, but in an ideal world, I am trying to find kexts that work from within the clover kext folder (similar to E/E) so I never have to touch S/L/E ;D Having said that, audio may be out of the question... thinking VoodooHDA is looking pretty good right now. The end goal would be to get most of this up and running without modifying kexts at all... not sure how much of that is possible. Kernel cache is off btw, I always turn it off. I am actually gonna have to get going shortly, but will be around on and off over the weekend.

Not using an SSD - I have 2 x 750GB 7200's. I will try the battery kexts, but in an ideal world, I am trying to find kexts that work from within the clover kext folder (similar to E/E) so I never have to touch S/L/E ;D Having said that, audio may be out of the question... thinking VoodooHDA is looking pretty good right now. The end goal would be to get most of this up and running without modifying kexts at all... not sure how much of that is possible. Kernel cache is off btw, I always turn it off. I am actually gonna have to get going shortly, but will be around on and off over the weekend.

Ew...voodoohda?? What the  :censored: ? AppleHDA is best for codecs like alc269 and etc. For less used codecs then it is wise to use voodoohda. Well you will have to roll back appleacpiplatform anyway and when you upgrade, you'll have to reapply the kext anyway which is the same with using the battery installer. On my sad it used to take six to eight spins to boot and after i got it working, it boots in one and a half spins. It won't really work where you won't have to touch S/L/E because something will be either added or deleted at some point of time. Good luck

​Mavericks is good but this fermi freeze is getting on my last nerve...I think ill downgrade for now until i figure a fix...a question to AREOS, what would happen if i were to downgrade the avfoundation to 10.8 so it will stop trying to activate intel hd graphics...

You might sneer at VoodooHDA, but if you use it you can:

Use AppleHDADisabler.kext in Clover folder, Install VoodooHDA, then NEVER have to worry about loosing audio in an update again. It does not matter if AppleHDA gets updated, Voodoo will always work. Plus, the sound is better quality with Voodoo, and HDMI works, and nice graphic equaliser prefpane.

I am trying to make this guide as simple and as update proof as possible for those in this thread and on other forums that don't want to worry about re-patching or re-applying kexts every time they update - or for those who don't update like james1972 or latinmcg because it breaks their system. With the exception of VoodooHDA, I have altered nothing in S/L/E and it's working rather well ;)

@james, sent you a PM :) sorry

wow, great work done guys, really great..

I had the Inspiron 1720 before like ellnic which was a good MBP hack but recently sold it for the G73 JH now.

So the differences here are:

i7 740QM not the i7-2630QM

chipset Intel HM55 not HM56

hd5870, not the GTX460M

no USB3

retail 10.8.2 USB install with chimera 2 and optional kexts. no DSDT so far.

what works: WiFi, LAN, cam, bluetooth, restart, fn keys( light dim and vol) , sound, trackpad , HDMI out (without sound)

I used these kexts first

then installed additional the attatched ones for Sound/ Lan( which stopped working)

lan:vHDA.zip

did you get speedstep, and sleep working?

Sure did! Turboboost and AGPM working. Still trying to look for a solution to prevent OSX from trying to use the intel hd 3000 when playing videos. Powernap even works as well. And to top it off, it boots in about 10 sec. (SSD)

*EDIT*- Nice! We've got the exact same g73sw :thumbsup_anim:

nice, I guess you can start a new thread on how to install 10.9 on g73sw.

I should...I would really like to stop the channel timeouts from happening when playing a dvd(even though i don't play dvds lol) Is your iMessage working? I found out different methods to get it working and as well as having nvram working properly including remembering find my mac and brightness levels. Ill attempt to write one tomorrow. Your guide helped me a lot though so you deserve more than half the credit!  :D  Is there anything on yours not working properly? Maybe i can help :P

Hi Jeff, how's it going? Nice to have you back.

I've been working on getting clover up and running on the G73 and it's going well, but it's still a long way off being ready.

It's got a couple of cool features - for example, I am not using a Wifi kext, and Clover can change the dev ID of the card on the fly, so that the OS thinks it's one of it's own. I am still using the ethernet kext though as you can only patch the dev ID if the vendor ID is the same - ie. the kext will work for that card if only the dev ID matches. I have full speed step, sleep, shutdown etc and most power management features without using a DSDT and SSDT - clover extracts these on each boot and patches them on the fly with all the required alterations. I am also testing a BIOS patch which negates the need for a patched AICPM. iMessages works flawlessly and I do not have the Intel HD 3000 error when playing youtube videos. I also have HDMI and FN key control, full CI/QE out the box also works. Despite these archivements though, there's quite a lot that isn't right. For example, the connected display shows as a monitor and I only have 1 resolution to choose from, despite is being the correct 1920x1080, AGPM doesn't work, I have no backlit keys and no brightness control, and audio is becoming troublesome. I think it's been worth having a play with it, but it's configuration is ENTIRELY different to chameleon and a lot more complex. None of the switches and flags move across from chameleon except the normal boot flags like -v -x npci= etc. I have no doubt that clover is a lot more powerful than chameleon and maybe if one of the guys over at ProjectOSX had a hands on go at our model laptop they could get it going, but for everyone else Enoch would still appear to be the best for this system for now.

@jamba77 Yeah I miss that Inspiron 1720 it was a once in a life time flawless hack with SL :) is this what you are using for ethernet on your JH? http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2608

If you have a Realtek 81xx series Ethernet card, give the above mentioned kext a try. It works flawlessly on the g73sw.

In having a few issues with audio. So at present, no. It was working, but I had other audio issues. This is all with clover mind you, I haven't actually tried getting anything up and running with chameleon or Enoch. The way Jeff got it working in the original ML install method was to add modules to the Enoch boot loader, shut down, plug in hdmi, boot, shutdown- then it worked. I don't need to shut down to get hdmi with clover, the hot plugging just works- but the audio needs supporting with other kexts or settings which I am currently in 2 minds as to what to do about it. Move back to chameleon I guess :-P

Sure did! Turboboost and AGPM working. Still trying to look for a solution to prevent OSX from trying to use the intel hd 3000 when playing videos. Powernap even works as well. And to top it off, it boots in about 10 sec. (SSD)

*EDIT*- Nice! We've got the exact same g73sw :thumbsup_anim:

Change your smbios to imac13,1.  Youtube working.

Hi Jeff, how's it going? Nice to have you back.

I've been working on getting clover up and running on the G73 and it's going well, but it's still a long way off being ready.

It's got a couple of cool features - for example, I am not using a Wifi kext, and Clover can change the dev ID of the card on the fly, so that the OS thinks it's one of it's own. I am still using the ethernet kext though as you can only patch the dev ID if the vendor ID is the same - ie. the kext will work for that card if only the dev ID matches. I have full speed step, sleep, shutdown etc and most power management features without using a DSDT and SSDT - clover extracts these on each boot and patches them on the fly with all the required alterations. I am also testing a BIOS patch which negates the need for a patched AICPM. iMessages works flawlessly and I do not have the Intel HD 3000 error when playing youtube videos. I also have HDMI and FN key control, full CI/QE out the box also works. Despite these archivements though, there's quite a lot that isn't right. For example, the connected display shows as a monitor and I only have 1 resolution to choose from, despite is being the correct 1920x1080, AGPM doesn't work, I have no backlit keys and no brightness control, and audio is becoming troublesome. I think it's been worth having a play with it, but it's configuration is ENTIRELY different to chameleon and a lot more complex. None of the switches and flags move across from chameleon except the normal boot flags like -v -x npci= etc. I have no doubt that clover is a lot more powerful than chameleon and maybe if one of the guys over at ProjectOSX had a hands on go at our model laptop they could get it going, but for everyone else Enoch would still appear to be the best for this system for now.

@jamba77 Yeah I miss that Inspiron 1720 it was a once in a life time flawless hack with SL :) is this what you are using for ethernet on your JH? http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2608

Great job ellnic.  I have been busy working, not alot of play time.  I guess you have clover figured out?  I used my old files to get a working system.  Changed smbios from macpro to imac13,1 to get system stable.  Still trying to figure out the brightness issue, not sure what's going on there.

If you have a Realtek 81xx series Ethernet card, give the above mentioned kext a try. It works flawlessly on the g73sw.

In having a few issues with audio. So at present, no. It was working, but I had other audio issues. This is all with clover mind you, I haven't actually tried getting anything up and running with chameleon or Enoch. The way Jeff got it working in the original ML install method was to add modules to the Enoch boot loader, shut down, plug in hdmi, boot, shutdown- then it worked. I don't need to shut down to get hdmi with clover, the hot plugging just works- but the audio needs supporting with other kexts or settings which I am currently in 2 minds as to what to do about it. Move back to chameleon I guess :-P

hdmi was a dsdt edit to get it working.

Change your smbios to imac13,1.  Youtube working.

Great job ellnic.  I have been busy working, not alot of play time.  I guess you have clover figured out?  I used my old files to get a working system.  Changed smbios from macpro to imac13,1 to get system stable.  Still trying to figure out the brightness issue, not sure what's going on there.

hdmi was a dsdt edit to get it working.

You need to add your device properties as an efi string in your boot plist and in your dsdt, you need to have the device pnlf in it as well. My brightness works and remembers the values on restarts from using filenvram.dylib

If iMac 13,1 is used, do dvd's work? I found a workaround for youtube videos to work which is to uncheck "use hardware acceleration" in flash player settings.

You need to add your device properties as an efi string in your boot plist and in your dsdt, you need to have the device pnlf in it as well. My brightness works and remembers the values on restarts from using filenvram.dylib

If iMac 13,1 is used, do dvd's work? I found a workaround for youtube videos to work which is to uncheck "use hardware acceleration" in flash player settings.

my dvd/bd player is shot.  Can you post your boot.plist and dsdt?