I've actually had Snow Leopard on my HP Dv9838ca for a while even then I had the same issue but I ignored it but now I want to fix it.
I'm looking to fix this error because I installed 10.8.1 and now I only have Mountain Lion on this HDD and nothing else. No other partitions or operating systems installed on the HDD I'm trying to boot from. Just plain Mountain Lion
I have a HP DV9838ca. The HDD I'm using is a Toshiba MK2546GSX. I've already tried this fix but it didn't work.
Heres what I did to install Mountain Lion:
- Bought the Mountain Lion app
- Made the USB installer using instructions from this thread
- Formatted my HDD using Disk Utility to a GUID Partition table and the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) filesystem.
- Finished installing
- Restarted, booted into the installer as instructed, copied FakeSMC.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext to my HDD
- Booted to my Mountain Lion HDD
- Finished the basic Setup
- Ran Kext Utility and installed the following kexts because they fix a lot of issues on my system.
- VoodooHDA 0.2.1
- AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext - needed this particularly to fix the trackpad.
- ApplePS2Controller.kext - needed this particularly to fix the trackpad.
- At last installed the Chameleon from the package I got in the OP
- Rebooted and got the "Operating System Not Found" error again
Thanks for any help.