2 replies to this topic

machstem

machstem

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

Love the idea of having to pass a quiz to post. :) Hopefully I don't noob my question too much.

I followed and tried the guides I have found online, and then I fell on here to install OSx on VMWare Fusion.

My main purpose is that I have an older app I want to run (Homeworld 2), but because it requires a PowerPC, only 10.5/10.6 will support it. (my legit installs)

I have the retails disc for 10.6, but the original install disc for my MBP for 10.5...and now that I am writing this, that might be my issue...but who knows. :)

Basically, I have the following:

OSx 10.7 Lion
Fusion 4.1.1

Model Name: MacBook Pro
  Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2
  Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
  Number of Processors: 1
  Total Number of Cores: 2
  L2 Cache: 6 MB
  Memory: 8 GB
  Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
  Boot ROM Version: MBP52.008E.B05
  SMC Version (system): 1.42f4

My install disc is the disc that came with my laptop, version 10.5.

I followed a guide here: http://blog.michael....are-fusion-4-0/

I didn't end up making it work, but it did give me a better idea as to why I can't load it natively.

From the comments, I came here and I have since tried and retried to make it work, but after having registered, I did realized that I was attempting to run the install from a 10.5 disc that is for my MBP. Could this be the reason why I can't install it under VMWare Fusion 4.1.1 ?

My only solution other than VMWare Fusion is to dual-boot into 10.5 (haven't looked at guides for this yet), but I imagine that can work. Obviously running 10.5 virtual would be better, if only to provide me with my game over the virtual session.

Anyway, when I attempted my install, I see the Apple logo boot screen, the little spinning icon, then the Apple logo turns into a Circle+X and just hangs there are the install.

The guide here seems to focus so much more on VMWare Workstation, etc. Can someone link me to a guide specifically for Fusion 4.1.1, or at least confirm if it works?

One thing I did notice, is that VMWare Fusion had 10.7 as an option, after running your patch. It still didn't seem to go.

Thanks to any and all help!

wheel

wheel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I think the hardware-specific restore discs will boot and give you a message as such and what you're seeing is it not finding a device to boot from. The guide you posted said something about using the physical DVD drive, is that what you're using? You could try a .dmg too and see if that works better, but it seems like something is not set up right to get it to see the disc.

But that's your first problem, I think the fact that it's a restore disc will be your next problem. Your best bet is probably to use the 10.6 DVD to get rosetta rolling in Snow Leopard, with the non-server hack in that guide.

However, virtualizing emulation without GPU acceleration might result in a pretty lousy experience for you when you do get it working...

machstem

machstem

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I am doing this first and foremost for the experience and the learning. The game itself I might be able to find a copy for PC and then use something like wine to run it.

At first, I was running the DVD in drive, then I made a R/W image, touched the ServerVersion.plist file in the image, chmod 044 on the image, then mount as my bootable disc. That's where eventually the Apple logo disappears and I'm left with a circle+X and the progress circle under logo continues to spin, for hours and hours to no end.

I'm off of work for a bit, but I will find time and go get my retail disc for 10.6 and 10.5 (corporate licence) to play around with.

I just wish we were given the option out of the box as it used to be.

Thanks for any other advice.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lion, fusion, leopard, virtualisation, problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy