• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
I get this error when I install but for a different reason. The installer log will state the reason for the failure. For me, it comes when the installer is making the kernelcache for the first time and it finds several kexts which it states are not genuine and will be omitted. This causes the installer to fail to make the kernelcache and the installation fails. The kexts which are deemed not genuine are the older AppleACPIFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext that I need to get my installer to boot up. I tried putting the vanilla kexts in S/L/E on the USB installer and putting the older (working) kexts in Extra. That didn't work - the installer wouldn't boot up. Is there any way to edit the manifest so that it doesn't do this check for genuineness? I noticed that it doesn't do this for every kext in S/L/E - just the critical kexts.

JamesLittler

JamesLittler

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
it's just a permissions problem, use disk utility or similar to repair the disk permissions

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

it's just a permissions problem, use disk utility or similar to repair the disk permissions

I used kext utility to an extensions.mkext for the USB installer. I put that in startup caches in order to get the USB installer to boot. I take it that the permission repair in that process is not enough because I get the installation failure which, assuming you are correct, is due to a permissions problem. Any suggestions about how to repair permissions on a USB installer other than kext utility and kext wizard?

JamesLittler

JamesLittler

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
Yes, use disk utility as I suggested.

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Yes, use disk utility as I suggested.

Unfortunately, repair disk permissions is greyed-out in disk utility. Any other suggestions?

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff

Unfortunately, repair disk permissions is greyed-out in disk utility. Any other suggestions?

you need to "get info" and uncheck the box for "ignore ownership on this volume" or repairing permissions won't be available in Diskutility, and with Kext Wiz or Kext Utility, they won't actually repair anything and will just go through the motions in vain. Also before repairing permissions, the owner of volume needs to be System:Wheel with permissions 755, do not apply the same ownership/permissions to any sub directories. It's because of these kexts tools ability to look like they repaired permissions, along with Disk Utility doing the same fake repair to RAID Volumes in Lion(known bug, unsure if ML fixed this) I no longer trust any of them and repair from command line:
diskutil repairPermissions /
or
diskutil repairPermissions /Volumes/NameOfTheVolume/
Note the capitol "P" in repairPermissions as it is required syntax for command to work

note: I did not read your full topic as to what the problem is, just chiming in on permission repair in general

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy