Can I update to Mountain Lion?

8 posts in this topic

I installed Iatkos L2 to my Dell xps l702x laptop, used the 10.7.4 installer to update to 10.7.4, and have Chameleon 2.1 as my bootloader. can I update to Mountain Lion without any problems does anybody know?

Make a backup first and go for it.

If you were on a vanilla install you certainly wouldn't have any problems and give that you could run a combo update you should be ok...

but note your using a distro with no way of telling whats been altered so theres an element of risk (hence make the backup)...

• Like 1

So I'm not running vanilla even after installing the 10.7.4 update OVER my Iatkos L2 10.7.2?

Would it be at all possible to add another partition to my HDD (the one with Lion installed to) and then literally copy everything from th Lion partition over to the other partition so that both partitions are identical? That way I can try the ML install on the other and if it doesn't work, just resort back to my original install.

Well the fact that it updated is what makes me optimistic that the 10.8 update will work - as I said you should be fine but its always good to have a backup incase.

Note than an update is an update just because your on 10.7.4 doesn't mean bits of iAtkos aren't left e.g. kexts such as sleepenabler and voodoohda won't be overwritten by the updater and your /Extra folder will most likely have been created by iAtkos rather than yourself.

You could do what you've mentioned - if you read around you'll find ways to do that described (isn't hard)...

But if you've access to a spare HDD I would suggest you do a time machine backup of it of your current set up then try the update. This way its a one-click restore in the OS X installer to revert to lion and you won't have the installer getting confused between partitions (OS X often "sees" the other copy of OS X and starts picking up on apps and version numbers from it - better to keep installs separate to minimise confusion).

• Like 1

Thanks dude, you've been a lot of help.

Quick question though. What should I be searching for on a torrent site? Mountain Lion combo update? Or should I just be using the 4GB

installation app from App Store?

4gb install from the app store is the one you want, if you wish to create the installer "vanilla style" you can follow my guide here up-to and including step 2(all parts). This will give you an installer effectively the same as you would get from apple:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=280756&st=0

Then just install over your Lion partition without formatting it.

• Like 1