Triple Monitor Graphics Card

daniel@mac

8 posts in this topic

Only if you get a bunch of mini Display Port to DVI then DVI to VGA adapters. Rather than spend the money for a triple VGA setup, I think the money would be better spent on 1 decent sized HD monitor and will still give you similar amount of desktop workspace due to the higher res and wide screen, not to mention save on electricity and room on your physical desktop. Just my 2 cents

Only if you get a bunch of mini Display Port to DVI then DVI to VGA adapters. Rather than spend the money for a triple VGA setup, I think the money would be better spent on 1 decent sized HD monitor and will still give you similar amount of desktop workspace due to the higher res and wide screen, not to mention save on electricity and room on your physical desktop. Just my 2 cents

I have been using 3 screens the last 5 years, recently upgraded to a 27" crossover for the center screen. The other two are in pivot mode.

And no, one large screen can never replace multiple screens, why? Because putting the windows into a grid on one monitor is distracting.

I have been using 3 screens the last 5 years, recently upgraded to a 27" crossover for the center screen. The other two are in pivot mode.

And no, one large screen can never replace multiple screens, why? Because putting the windows into a grid on one monitor is distracting.

and are all three of your screens VGA only? I doubt it and if you did get a VGA only Crossover I would love to see it. It was only that particular scenario that I was referring to. Are there benefits to multiple monitors? Of freakin course! and there is no theoretical limit to VGA analog resolution, but in practical use most monitors that are VGA only are also going to be much lower resolution than a DVI, DP, mini DP or HDMI capable monitor. Given the average native VGA resolution, a 1080 display will have over 3 times the pixel density and when running at native resolution that gives 3 times the desktop space on one screen. A 27"Crossover would be more like 8 times the pixel density and desktop space than 1 VGA so if anybody would recommend and appreciate an upgrade in that department I would think it would be you. If money was an object as it usually is and one could either get an eyefinity card or a monitor from this century, I'd go for the monitor from this century and if needed use the virtual desktops built into Launchpad, or spaces depending on OSX version. Of course this assumes already owning a video card from this century too. So to summarize:

3 monitors that are able to use some kind of digital connection=great and totally awesome!

3 monitors that only support analog=better to have one HD digital monitor in my opinion, can then add 2 more when you can afford to

And to answer OP's question, HD 6870 along with quite a few others but none have 3 VGA or 3 DVI connections on the card. The only cards I know of that have 3 or more ports that are all the same interface are AMD's eyefinity 6 versions of the 5870, 6870 and 7870 and they have 6 mini DP only with no built in legacy connections

This 3 Monitors have a very good quality. I've been using them now for over six years. The Monitors have an IPS-Panel and 1280x1024 Resolution, thats isn't to much for the VGA standard. They have a great aspect Ratio, too. There are no monitors on the market hat can compare (in those special requirements) with my old VGA-Setup.

That's the point. I need a video Card that has 3x DVI with VGA fallback. I don't play games, so the card can be very cheap. I hope that someone knows a card that meets my requirements.

Thanks for you help.

You typically won't find a card with more than 2x DVI ports because going beyond the second monitor, manufacturers normally slap on a display port that can pass through an active signal as opposed to the passive signaling of DVI.

• 2 weeks later...