10.7.4 update killed my Acer inspire 4315 [noob alert]

confucious

6 posts in this topic

Hi

Having spent the past 25 years working with Dos/Windows I've never used a Mac but having got the iOS Hackers handbook it appears i now need one, so I bought a ready made Hackintosh which was running 10.7.2 (iAtkos and chameleon BL).

Like an idiot i did a software update to 10.74 - or thought I did, but now my computer wont boot normally.

With the verbose boot it runs through until I get a black screen with white block cursor in the to left then every few seconds it flashes up "com.apple.launchd 1 com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication xxxx Exit timeout elapsed (20 seconds) killing"

Where xxxx is a 4 digit number that varies each time before going to the black screen with cursor again and repeating with a different number.

It will boot into safe mode but it is still showing as 10.7.2

Bearing in mind that I am a complete noob with Macs does anyone have any idea how I can go about repairing the damage I have done?

Many thanks

conf

The problem with picking up an existing Hackintosh is that you don't really know what has been done to it OS-wise before you got it. What is Chameleon-BL?

Anyway, during the installation of iAtkos, the previous user could have selected a number of customizations that got damaged or wiped out with the failed upgrade attempt. Also, to solve other problems, the previous user might have added other customizations not provided by the iAtkos install DVD. You are upgrading blind and you might and possibly did break things. Fortunately, most of those things can be fixed after the install.

It sounds like you had a failed upgrade attempt. If the listed OS is 10.7.2 and you were upgrading to 10.7.4, then something went very wrong.

You might have to do a complete reinstall. But before that, you have nothing to lose by trying a few things.

I would download the Apple 10.7.4 Combo updater and run that to try to get a good upgrade. Then assess where you are. http://support.apple...Combo10.7.4.dmg

Thanks for the reply.

Isn't Chamelion the Boot loader?

The seller has burned me a CD and DVD which are in the post and he has provided instructions on how to do a clean install which i will try if I can't resurrect this.

I mentioned the computer in the title, it's an Acer Aspire 4315

I am downloading the 10.7.4 upgrade as I am typing this and will give it a go.

thanks again for your help.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the reply.

Isn't Chamelion the Boot loader?

The seller has burned me a CD and DVD which are in the post and he has provided instructions on how to do a clean install which i will try if I can't resurrect this.

I mentioned the computer in the title, it's an Acer Aspire 4315

I am downloading the 10.7.4 upgrade as I am typing this and will give it a go.

thanks again for your help.

Hi, did you ever resolve this issue? I have the same problem although mine states 10.7.4 in safe mode.

I figured out that it was just a splash screen saying it was on 10.7.2 and it was actually on 10.7.4

I managed to download what I needed over an ethernet connection and after messing about I managed to get it to boot without erroring but, in trying to get wifi working, I managed to disable ehernet.

I have 3 connections showing in Network->settings - 1 wifi and two ethernet. When the ethernet connection was working it was showing as the wifi connection. Now I just get network cable unplugged showing on all 3 connections and no lights on the ethernet port.

The realtek network utility says the wifi is disabled and needs to be enabled in settings..

I now have no network but a functioning machine.

I have no idea where to start fixing the problems.

I figured out that it was just a splash screen saying it was on 10.7.2 and it was actually on 10.7.4

I managed to download what I needed over an ethernet connection and after messing about I managed to get it to boot without erroring but, in trying to get wifi working, I managed to disable ehernet.

I have 3 connections showing in Network->settings - 1 wifi and two ethernet. When the ethernet connection was working it was showing as the wifi connection. Now I just get network cable unplugged showing on all 3 connections and no lights on the ethernet port.

The realtek network utility says the wifi is disabled and needs to be enabled in settings..

I now have no network but a functioning machine.

I have no idea where to start fixing the problems.

But what did you download to fix it? Mine is the same, black screen with cursor.