Old Computer Turned Hackintosh?

3 posts in this topic

My grandpa was throwing out his old computer in place of a laptop, and I figured I would ask if its possibly to Hackintosh it before I get rid of it.

I searched the forums for the motherboard, but found posts from about two years ago and haven't played around with this stuff for a while so I am a bit out of the loop. Please excuse my noob-ness and as always, your help is greatly appreciated.

So as far as I can tell, my dad built this PC for my grandpa a few years back and these are the specs I was able to find:

Mobo: Intel D915GEV

Memory: 512MB RAM

Processor: Intel Celeron D326 (2.53GHz w/ EM64T)

Graphics: Onboard (

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900)

Is there a way to tell what the max version of OSX this can run is? Also which one would I be best running?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

I don't know about the motherboard, but your CPU would be compatible with 10.5.x, but I don't know about graphics. I know that if it had a Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 945 it would have worked out of the box. But even real macs perform like {censored} on 512MB RAM in 10.5. You might be able to run 10.4.x on it, but I don't know. I have tried doing it on a OEM-machine with almost the same CPU, and I only managed to get Kalkeway 10.5.2 working, and it was very unstable

I don't know about the motherboard, but your CPU would be compatible with 10.5.x, but I don't know about graphics. I know that if it had a Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 945 it would have worked out of the box. But even real macs perform like {censored} on 512MB RAM in 10.5. You might be able to run 10.4.x on it, but I don't know. I have tried doing it on a OEM-machine with almost the same CPU, and I only managed to get Kalkeway 10.5.2 working, and it was very unstable

Thanks for the quick reply.

So buying RAM and a video card might be the best way for me to go. Let's say I pick up 2GB of RAM from Newegg for this thing then a compatible video card I might be in better shape? My pain purpose for doing this is developing iOS applications in XCode so I guess I would prefereably like to get up to running 10.6.x but not sure if thats possible with my current processor. I currently have OSX running in a VM on my Windows machine, but its quite slow, and I don't want to go through the hassle of dual booting, so this is where I ended up.

Any inexpensive video cards that work right out of the box that you know off the top of your head?