XFX Radeon HD 6870 on Lion

tobiastimpe

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

So I finally bought a new graphics card. Hoping I would get native support under Lion (latest), I went with the XFX Radeon HD 6870.

When booting without GraphicsEnabler, I often get flickering instead of the desktop.

I have tried my monitors on both DVI ports, 1 DVI and 1 HDMI and everything.

Also, I would like to at least use triple monitors as I have one (plus a MiniDP -> DVI adapter) lying around anyway, but I heard it's not possible, true?

Thank you guys in advance for such an awesome community helping me for like 3 years now.

Tobias

MB: ASUS P5N-D

Monitors: Acer S243HLBMii

So, it turns out I'm running Duckweed by default: (without GE)

| |   |	   |   | +-o ATY,Duckweed@0  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000002ce, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (5083 ms), reta$
   | |   |	   |   | +-o ATY,Duckweed@1  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000002cf, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (34 ms), retain$
   | |   |	   |   | +-o ATY,Duckweed@2  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000002d0, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (44 ms), retain$
   | |   |	   |   | +-o ATY,Duckweed@3  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000002d1, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (5 ms), retain $

I currently have my 2 monitors working fine, with one on HDMI and the other via MDP.

But then again, I'd really like to run things like DVD-Player and GB.

Also, I'd love it for my bootscreen to be nativer resolution (1920x1080). I tried putting in:

<key>Graphics Enabler</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>

Thanks

Tobias

Okay great so your default FB is the same as mine duckweed. For your boot screen though it has to be the Graphics Mode key not Graphics Enabler that uses a boolean value such as Yes or No. An easier way to set these things is to use the Chameleon pref pane which I have attached to this post instead of having to manually edit all the time.

Just go into the peripherals section and set the graphics mode like I did so.

Screen%20Shot%202012-01-26%20at%207.45.56%20PM.png

For GB DVD-player and some other apps to work you'll have to tick the Graphics Enabler on or off but the trade off is that you might lose multi monitor support so I normally just do without GB and dvd-player unless I want to bench something.

Now for the triple monitor issue it’s more of an architecture issue you have to use an active adapter or converter in order to go beyond 2 monitors. An active adapter allows for independent signal to be passed through where it is actively converted (hence the name) where as using a typical dvi -> hdmi dongle is passive because there is no signal conversion going on just a straight pass through. Your card is more than able to go beyond two monitors but you’ll need to buy an active converter like so

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814999030

When you do get one handy test it out and see if the third signal is picked up without any editing if not then there’s a way to manually set the number of outputs for your fb.

Chameleon.prefPane.zip

Oh, yeah, my bad, that was just a typo here when typing it into the forum :)

But I would love a native resolution bootloader, can you (or somebody else) help me patch my GPU ROM to include a 1920x1080x32 VESA mode, since it ca only, for whatever reason, do 1920x1440 and not 1080 (from ?video).

Also, the only problem I now get after setting the framebuffer and everything is that I have to click around and hit ctrl-shift-eject a couple of times before I get the normal desktop, otherwise I just get random junk on the screen.

I've attached my GPU BIOS, so If anyone can patch it, or at least tell me how exactly I should do so, please do.

I know about the other VESA modes thread, but I'm still trying to get my head around all this stuff.

Tobias

6870DF_Unpatched.bin.zip

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

So I finally bought a new graphics card. Hoping I would get native support under Lion (latest), I went with the XFX Radeon HD 6870.

When booting without GraphicsEnabler, I often get flickering instead of the desktop.

I have tried my monitors on both DVI ports, 1 DVI and 1 HDMI and everything.

Also, I would like to at least use triple monitors as I have one (plus a MiniDP -> DVI adapter) lying around anyway, but I heard it's not possible, true?

Thank you guys in advance for such an awesome community helping me for like 3 years now.

Tobias

MB: ASUS P5N-D

Monitors: Acer S243HLBMii

Solved http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=275546&hl=6870&fromsearch=1