5 replies to this topic

tobiastimpe

tobiastimpe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
Hey guys,

So I finally bought a new graphics card. Hoping I would get native support under Lion (latest), I went with the XFX Radeon HD 6870.

When booting without GraphicsEnabler, I often get flickering instead of the desktop.

I have tried my monitors on both DVI ports, 1 DVI and 1 HDMI and everything.

Also, I would like to at least use triple monitors as I have one (plus a MiniDP -> DVI adapter) lying around anyway, but I heard it's not possible, true?

Thank you guys in advance for such an awesome community helping me for like 3 years now.

Tobias

MB: ASUS P5N-D
Monitors: Acer S243HLBMii

TH3L4UGH1NGM4N

TH3L4UGH1NGM4N

(~_~)

• News Team
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:(~_^)
Well there are many threads about the 6870 but I guess I could help out again

start off by typing in terminal
ioreg | grep ATY
to see which FB you're loading to begin with then we'll continue from there.

tobiastimpe

tobiastimpe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
So, it turns out I'm running Duckweed by default: (without GE)

| |   |	   |   | +-o ATY,Duckweed@0  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000002ce, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (5083 ms), reta$
    | |   |	   |   | +-o ATY,Duckweed@1  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000002cf, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (34 ms), retain$
    | |   |	   |   | +-o ATY,Duckweed@2  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000002d0, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (44 ms), retain$
    | |   |	   |   | +-o ATY,Duckweed@3  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000002d1, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (5 ms), retain $

I currently have my 2 monitors working fine, with one on HDMI and the other via MDP.

But then again, I'd really like to run things like DVD-Player and GB.

Also, I'd love it for my bootscreen to be nativer resolution (1920x1080). I tried putting in:
<key>Graphics Enabler</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>

Thanks

Tobias

TH3L4UGH1NGM4N

TH3L4UGH1NGM4N

(~_~)

• News Team
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:(~_^)
Okay great so your default FB is the same as mine duckweed. For your boot screen though it has to be the Graphics Mode key not Graphics Enabler that uses a boolean value such as Yes or No. An easier way to set these things is to use the Chameleon pref pane which I have attached to this post instead of having to manually edit all the time.

Just go into the peripherals section and set the graphics mode like I did so.
Posted Image

For GB DVD-player and some other apps to work you'll have to tick the Graphics Enabler on or off but the trade off is that you might lose multi monitor support so I normally just do without GB and dvd-player unless I want to bench something.

Now for the triple monitor issue it’s more of an architecture issue you have to use an active adapter or converter in order to go beyond 2 monitors. An active adapter allows for independent signal to be passed through where it is actively converted (hence the name) where as using a typical dvi -> hdmi dongle is passive because there is no signal conversion going on just a straight pass through. Your card is more than able to go beyond two monitors but you’ll need to buy an active converter like so
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814999030

When you do get one handy test it out and see if the third signal is picked up without any editing if not then there’s a way to manually set the number of outputs for your fb.

Attached Files

tobiastimpe

tobiastimpe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
Oh, yeah, my bad, that was just a typo here when typing it into the forum :)

But I would love a native resolution bootloader, can you (or somebody else) help me patch my GPU ROM to include a 1920x1080x32 VESA mode, since it ca only, for whatever reason, do 1920x1440 and not 1080 (from ?video).

Also, the only problem I now get after setting the framebuffer and everything is that I have to click around and hit ctrl-shift-eject a couple of times before I get the normal desktop, otherwise I just get random junk on the screen.

I've attached my GPU BIOS, so If anyone can patch it, or at least tell me how exactly I should do so, please do.
I know about the other VESA modes thread, but I'm still trying to get my head around all this stuff.

Tobias

Attached Files

lox72

lox72

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Hey guys,

So I finally bought a new graphics card. Hoping I would get native support under Lion (latest), I went with the XFX Radeon HD 6870.

When booting without GraphicsEnabler, I often get flickering instead of the desktop.

I have tried my monitors on both DVI ports, 1 DVI and 1 HDMI and everything.

Also, I would like to at least use triple monitors as I have one (plus a MiniDP -> DVI adapter) lying around anyway, but I heard it's not possible, true?

Thank you guys in advance for such an awesome community helping me for like 3 years now.

Tobias

MB: ASUS P5N-D
Monitors: Acer S243HLBMii

Solved http://www.insanelym...70&fromsearch=1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy