OS X Lion 10.7.3 11D16 is OUT

mitch_de

43 posts in this topic

Hi. Please tell us, How is possible? If NOT working in genuine Macs (I have 4 reports)... AND of course 4 Hackintosh more.

I don't know HOW it's possible - I'm just telling you what I am seeing. My Geekbench scores are still over 12,000 which to me suggests that speedstep is still working.

Without speedstep my Geekbench scores are usually around 8,000.

This is on a P8P67 Pro with a 2500k and 10.7.3 11D16

post-780955-1321944441_thumb.png

If the bug has no effect it may depends from CPU type and/or smbios MacModel.

I will try changing the mac model in smbios tonight after work and see if that changes things (unless anybody with the problem would like to beat me to it lol).

Yep, geekbench version DOESNT matter to check if xpu stays on slowest PSTATE. There are only very minor results diff between gb versions. And the diff by non working speedstep is so huge (diff >= 30%) that minor gb diffs between versions (much less than 5%) doesnt matter.

Yep, geekbench version DOESNT matter to check if xpu stays on slowest PSTATE. There are only very minor results diff between gb versions. And the diff by non working speedstep is so huge (diff >= 30%) that minor gb diffs between versions (much less than 5%) doesnt matter.

Just tried smbios using MacBookPro8,3 definition and still get 12,000 (12,264).

If I can find the post for msrdumper I will try that and see if it is stuck at highest speed..

And what about MSR Dumper check? "Maybe" his CPU is stuck in the HIGHEST P-State.

Nope I have the following in the kernel log..

Nov 22 20:06:42 Andy-Stubbss-Mac-Pro-3 kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)

Nov 22 20:06:42 Andy-Stubbss-Mac-Pro-3 kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 48

Nov 22 20:06:43 Andy-Stubbss-Mac-Pro-3 kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(48)

Nov 22 20:06:43 Andy-Stubbss-Mac-Pro-3 kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 48

So it is stepping up and down correctly (I've only ever had 2 steps, never looked into why).

Nope I have the following in the kernel log..

Nov 22 20:06:42 Andy-Stubbss-Mac-Pro-3 kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)

Nov 22 20:06:42 Andy-Stubbss-Mac-Pro-3 kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 48

Nov 22 20:06:43 Andy-Stubbss-Mac-Pro-3 kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(48)

Nov 22 20:06:43 Andy-Stubbss-Mac-Pro-3 kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 48

So it is stepping up and down correctly (I've only ever had 2 steps, never looked into why).

Just to clarify this is with a P8P67 Pro with an i5 2500K (clocked to 4.8).

Just to clarify this is with a P8P67 Pro with an i5 2500K (clocked to 4.8).

Ok I have done some more messing around with this and there definitely is an issue the problem is I can't work out where lol.

I was messing around creating a new dsdt earlier today so thought I'd try it on my 10.7.3 installation - the result was a geekbench score of 4448 which is roughly half of what I get at stock speeds on an i5 2500K which implies its running at the lowest clock speed - i.e. a 16x multiplier. I then put the original dsdt back and nothing changed 10.7.3 still runs at the lowest multiplier. To test the dsdt wasn't hosed I tried it on 10.7.2 - and it was fine, runs with speedstepping working as you would expect. Now for the life of me all I changed between 10.7.3 with working speedstepping and a broken 10.7.3 was the dsdt and even putting the original back now wont fix it.

Something in fruitland aint right lol

With this "Just to clarify this is with a P8P67 Pro with an i5 2500K (clocked to 4.8)" intel technology not working.

If you read the thread you will see that it was working until I messed around with the dsdt - there are even pretty pictures if the words prove too tricky for you! :P

For the sake of completeness I just did a clean install starting from 10.7 then updated to 10.7.2 and finally 10.7.3 on a clean disk to try and replicate the behaviour I had previously and track down where exactly this is going wrong. Unfortunately I can't replicate the working speedstep with 10.7.3 so it must have been a fluke :unsure: