Asus GTX 560 (NON TI!) Support on Lion

KrazyKiwi

50 posts in this topic

Yup, did -v and it was NVDAGF100HAL

Ok, downloading http://www.tonymacx8...?do=file&id=155 now

Hmmm, I dont see NvidiaCL Enabler http://d.pr/i/hfd2

Which one do I chose? http://d.pr/i/ngxN. So this will just add whatever kexts or whatever it does? I wont have to redo parts of my /Extra folder?

Ok, I see. Chose just the one nVidia Open CL patch. Any way I can confirm that its installed? I noticed it said 'upgrade' when I selected it. Does that mean I already had that patch installed?

This just installs kexts and patches, if any of them go wrong, you would have to remove it manually, but the installation is automated. Your card is definitely supported in this patch so nothing should go wrong.

ok, well, i installed the first one after having already installed the second one, did a reboot, and im here, so i guess it worked. guess ill try that benchmarking thing now.

Still terrible FPS on GW2

Ok, the most important part is the FPS in the OpenGL benchmark, it should stay close to 50 or 60 FPS. If it stays consistently below 30 FPS then you have a problem.

I need to go to bed its 1 AM where I am.

Ill be back in like 14 hours. Ill help you troubleshoot more then.

Alright, Im back. Ya those benchmarks seem low. Here are mine http://d.pr/f/HFDH

This command will enable OpenGL on GTX 5xx cards in Mountain Lion.

sudo perl -pi -e '$c++ if s|\x8b\x87\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\x89\x06\x8b\x­87\x20\x0c\x00\x00\x89\x02|\x31\xc0\xff\­xc0\xff\xc0\x89\x06\x31\xc0\x89\x02\x90\­x90\x90\x90|; END { unless ($c) { warn "No substitutions made\n"; $? =1 } }' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriv­er.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

Copy and paste that into terminal and hit enter, then enter your password and reboot.

Im looking into mountain lion more and it says it supports the GTX 5xx series out of the box, so try putting No for GraphicsEnabler instead of Yes in the org.chameleon.boot.plist. This should cause the original Mountain Lion drivers to load instead of the old ones.

Try the code again, I just looked at your screenshot of the terminal and i saw GeForceGLDriv-er.bundle instead of GeForceGLDriver.bundle. That was probably why you were getting "No Substitutions made"

sudo perl -pi -e '$c++ if s|\x8b\x87\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\x89\x06\x8b\x­87\x20\x0c\x00\x00\x89\x02|\x31\xc0\xff\­xc0\xff\xc0\x89\x06\x31\xc0\x89\x02\x90\­x90\x90\x90|; END { unless ($c) { warn "No substitutions made\n"; $? =1 } }' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriv­er.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

ML might not be loading the correct drivers if your system definition is wrong. Go to about this mac and click more info. It should say Mac Pro early 2008. If it doesn't say that then you can change the system definition in the iMultiBeast program, change it to macpro 3,1.

It seems like OpenCI isnt enabled, try using iMultiBeast to try enabling it again. People reported having simmilar frame rates as yours and then when they enabled OpenCI they had frame rates similar to mine.

Just like CUDA, OpenCL has no impact on framerate, unless you're benchmarking OpenCL or CUDA specifically. Neither is necessary in order to play games, there is no benefit to patching OpenCL or installing CUDA unless you're using production software that specifically requires them to be installed.

Sorry, was on windows playing guild wars 2. Gonna try moving to macpro 4,1 and all those suggestions

Last login: Fri Feb  8 20:29:33 on console
localhost:~ danny$ sudo perl -pi -e '$c++ if s|\x8b\x87\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\x89\x06\x8b\x­87\x20\x0c\x00\x00\x89\x02|\x31\xc0\xff\­xc0\xff\xc0\x89\x06\x31\xc0\x89\x02\x90\­x90\x90\x90|; END { unless ($c) { warn "No substitutions made\n"; $? =1 } }' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriv­er.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib
Password:
Can't open /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriv­er.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib: No such file or directory.
No substitutions made
localhost:~ danny$ sudo perl -pi -e '$c++ if s|\x8b\x87\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\x89\x06\x8b\x­87\x20\x0c\x00\x00\x89\x02|\x31\xc0\xff\­xc0\xff\xc0\x89\x06\x31\xc0\x89\x02\x90\­x90\x90\x90|; END { unless ($c) { warn "No substitutions made\n"; $? =1 } }' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriv­er.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib
Can't open /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriv­er.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib: No such file or directory.
No substitutions made
localhost:~ danny$

Just like CUDA, OpenCL has no impact on framerate, unless you're benchmarking OpenCL or CUDA specifically. Neither is necessary in order to play games, there is no benefit to patching OpenCL or installing CUDA unless you're using production software that specifically requires them to be installed.

Thats true but some users have reported doubling their FPS on the GTX 560 in Cinebench by enabling OpenCL.

It looks like terminal cant find the GeForceGLDriver.bundle. This either means that you dont have the GeForceGLDriver.bundle installed of that it cant find the file that will enable OpenGL for your card. Can you find the .bundle in the finder?

Yeah, it's there. I think I made that change a while back, which is why the substitutions were not made

That could be why, but the code said that it couldn't find the file or directory, so there might be a part of the .bundle that got deleted. Can you send me the .bundle?

Cinebench is an OpenGL benchmark, it has nothing to do with OpenCL.

I know, it was just a suggestion I found on the TonymacX86 forums. A user posted that he saw significant increases in his GPU benchmark performance when he enabled OpenCL for his GTX 560 Non-TI.

Here is his post

Hello friend.

I use Asus GTX 560 Direct CU (not Ti), but I noticed something from my experiments.

1) I run ##### and selected:

2) "NVDIA GF100 Fermi Patches" and clicked on "Open ClEnabler 10.7.0." (first option)

3) Repaired kexts and permissions with Kext Wizard

4) Rebooted and run Cinebenchmark.

Final conclusion: I had 46.5 frames now rather than having 21.6 without this solution.

I DO NOT SWEAR this is gonna work for you, but try it out. I had to do a lot of kext repairs throughout my experiments...

As for the resolution, I found already patched kexts for my graphics card and worked!

Take care! icon_wave.gif

My guess is that in the process of installing the OpenCLEnabler he managed to change an option in his GeforceGLDriver.bundle or something similar

My best guess is that something is missing in your GeForceGLDriver.bundle which is disabling your OpenGL hardware acceleration

It said

Can't open /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriv­er.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib: No such file or directory

both times. I ended up taking the .dylib out of the bundle but you were right, the changes were already made.

Here is a kext from ML Developer Preiview 3.

http://d.pr/f/iXfC

Try it, the 10.8.2 kext might not be properly identifying your card

If this doesn't work, the last thing I can do is edit the AGPM.kext, which controls clock speeds.