Please help, second graphics card doesn't work !

fabichfabich

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I'm writing from my new hackintosh configuration which i've been able to achieve thanks to all the guides and workarounds i've found on insanely mac. But I still have a few problems.

I'm unable to get my two nvidia graphics cards work simultaneously. Actually I've tried GraphicsEnabler, NVenabler, EFI Strings & DSDT edit. None of these work.

The thing is that I use three monitors on my computer when running windows and that's something I really need as a photographer and webdesigner. My main monitor is a Dell U2711, 27", 2560x1440 and my two other screens are both HP 22" 1680x1050. My main graphics card (the one I always plug my 27" to) is a BFG nVidia GeForce GTX 280 OC and the second card I use is an Asus ENGT 240 Silent (nVidia 240 GT).

Well I found many how-tos on the internet explaining how to create specific strings for running two graphics cards at the same time but I wasn't able to do it. Here's my situation right now :

• I tried my graphics cards and they both work when plunged in alone
  • I tried each of them in every PCIe slot and they work when plugged alone.
  • I tried them together plugged in many different orders, OS X doesn't boot. When I mean "doesn't boot" I mean I've tried -x, -s, -v, GraphicsEnabler=Yes, GraphicsEnabler=No and different combination of these flags.
  • I tried with EFI strings, doesn't change anything, only works with a single card. Same with nvenabler.
  • I tried DSDT editing BUT i'm new to these things and I don't understand very well how it works so I found a pre-edited dsdt for my motherboard on the internet which is the one I used and edited with DSDTSE. It is very possible that i've made something wrong.

When the system refuses to boot (when using the two cards at the same time) it always stops booting at the same point with the message "IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87 / IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 88:111".

When I boot the system using GraphicsEnabler, at the beginning of the verbose boot, I can see two lines with the name of the cards. The first card (the card plugged in my first pcie slot) always return the right amount of VRAM while the second always return a negative amount, -4095MB. That's bizarre ! When I swap the cards it still says the same. It does this only with the card plugged in my second pcie slot (actually the third on the Motherboard)

Actually I'm pretty sure this is the reason why it doesn't work with both cards plugged in but I haven't found a solution to this issue apparently related to the VRAM.

I get the same message whenever graphicsenabler is set to "yes" EXCEPT when i tried plugging an ATI card in my second slot.

With the ATI card as my second card, the system successfully boots BUT it shows my nvidia card as the second card in the system information panel, it believes both cards are nvidia cards. Oh, and yes it does boot but only the first card works. Actually I guess my dsdt edit worked since I can see both cards in the system information when booting with the ati card. I gave my card customized names in the dsdt edit in order to see if the dsdt had been loaded. But when I remove the ATI card and plug my second nvidia card the system refuses to boot.

Please HELP i really need to get my three monitors working in order to make the complete switch to mac os !

Here are some details about my configuration :

• Motherboard : Asus Rampage III Extreme
  • GTX 280
  • 240 GT
  • 8gb DDR3 Corsair
  • Dell 27" (dual dvi link) + 2x HP 22"
  • LG blu-ray writer
  • Drobo S Five Bay e-sata
  • One great feature of my motherboard : it has four switches which allow me to turn off pcie slots without unplugging the card in it. I use this when I need to boot Lion because of my dual graphics cards issue.

Here's my DSDT.aml file.

Hope someone will be able to help me because I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to get these things work and I really don't know what to do !

Thanks a lot

dsdt.aml.txt

• 2 weeks later...

I use aty init by netkas for my nvidia cards works for multiple cards. I don't use dsdt.

On my gigabyte boards i find that i have to set the bios to boot the second card first or i will get black screens.

Currently using it with 3 cards in one machine 2 x gtx 275 and an 8600gt.

Always worked great for me.