QE/CI on lion with 8600GT 256mb

SaarBH

22 posts in this topic

Hey Guys, I'm having difficulty to enable QE/CI on my OS X Lion.

My Motherboard is intel P965LT and my graphic card is Nvidia 8600GT 256mb.

on my boot.plist I've got -

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1080x32</string>

So my resolution will be fine for my monitor.

I will appreciate any advice, Thanks!

Hey Guys, I'm having difficulty to enable QE/CI on my OS X Lion.

My Motherboard is intel P965LT and my graphic card is Nvidia 8600GT 256mb.

on my boot.plist I've got -

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

So my resolution will be fine for my monitor.

I will appreciate any advice, Thanks!

Use

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

in your .Boot.plist file in /Extra......but remove any nVidia injector kext, or EFI graphics string.......see post #2 here......

Use

<string>Yes</string>

in your .Boot.plist file in /Extra......but remove any nVidia injector kext, or EFI graphics string.......see post #2 here......

this is my plist by now, it has efi string and graphicsenabler...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>LoginToLion</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>10</string>
<key>USBBusFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>arch</key>
<string>i386</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>6c020000010000000100000060.........
</string>
</dict>

</plist>

this is my plist by now, it has efi string and graphicsenabler...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
 <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
 <key>GenerateCStates</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
 <key>GeneratePStates</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
 <key>Graphics Mode</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
 <key>Kernel</key>
 <string>mach_kernel</string>
 <key>Legacy Logo</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
 <key>PciRoot</key>
 <string>1</string>
 <key>Theme</key>
 <string>LoginToLion</string>
 <key>Timeout</key>
 <string>10</string>
 <key>USBBusFix</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
 <key>arch</key>
 <string>i386</string>
<string>6c020000010000000100000060.........
</string>
</dict>

</plist>

That is the problem......you should only have one or the other in .Boot.plist NOT both.....

So I have removed GraphicsEnabler, but I think it changes nothing.. cause I'm running 32-bit mode.

right?

Should not make a difference to graphics.....to confirm your pciroot value, use this command in Terminal:

ioreg -l | grep -15  "AppleACPIPCI" | grep "_UID"

which should give "_UID" = "1" or "_UID" = "0".

Should not make a difference to graphics.....to confirm your pciroot value, use this command in Terminal:

ioreg -l | grep -15  "AppleACPIPCI" | grep "_UID"

which should give "_UID" = "1" or "_UID" = "0".

I'm using Chameleon Wizard, and there is a search for PCIRootUID, and it comes with "1"

I've soticed something strange, on chameleon wizard the 64bit mode checked while my lion boots graphics only with 32bit..

V5smH.png

@ SaarBH

The display Pixel Depth is 32-Bit Color.....this has nothing to do with the kernel booting in 64bit mode....go to Terminal and type

uname -a

and if you are in 64bit mode you will see

root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

@ SaarBH

The display Pixel Depth is 32-Bit Color.....this has nothing to do with the kernel booting in 64bit mode....go to Terminal and type

uname -a

and if you are in 64bit mode you will see

root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

amm, look.. when I write this command i get :

Darwin Saar-BHs-Mac-Pro.local 11.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 11.2.0: Tue Aug  9 20:56:15 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1699.24.8~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

this is the cpu-z on windows compare to System Information on mac:

SFXvc.png

aWGg7.png

@ SaarBH You are booting OS X in 32bit mode.....

so what should I do now?

Check and confirm that you are:

[1] using only 64bit compatible kexts in /Extra/Extensions/and in /System/Library/Extensions//.....go to System Information and highlight Software in LHS and in RHS check for:

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes

which indicates that all kexts in /System/Library/Extensions/ are 64bit capable.....for kexts in /Extra/Extensions/, check kext architecture using Kext Wizard's Kext Info function.....the kexts should have the x86_64 box ticked.....and may/may not have the i386 box ticked too.....

[2] Using arch=x86_64 kernel flag in your org. chameleon.Boot.plist file in /Extra....

[3] For graphics you should be using

EITHER

<string>Yes</string>

OR

<string>"for example, 6c0200000100000001000000600200000d00000002010c.." </string>

OR

NVEnabler64.kext

NOT a mix of the above......

his problem is not a 64 / 32 bit problem, and i don't think that this was his wish from the start, and it doesn't always can be accomplished to make the hole system a 64bit driver capable.

and to point out something else, i think that always in driver aspect, it best to first see if things working in 32bit (or if you are certain all your hardware is 64bit capable)

just to get back to the point, the question is not about 32/64 booting, but to why is card can't get a full QE/CI

BTW, SaarBH first came to me on PM, and i tried to help him, i tried for him all of those; 64bit, 32 bit, device-properties, graphicsenabler=y - of course, one at a time.

the thing is, either graphics-enabler or custom EFI both came with same result. the card name showed up on system profiler, but no QE/CI

the only thing that i found somehow strange is

PCIe Lane Width = x8

which i don't know, if it's his system/card doing this, as far as i know it should be x16, i don't know if this is the core of the problem but it's the only thing that make sense to me

his problem is not a 64 / 32 bit problem, and i don't think that this was his wish from the start, and it doesn't always can be accomplished to make the hole system a 64bit driver capable.

and to point out something else, i think that always in driver aspect, it best to first see if things working in 32bit (or if you are certain all your hardware is 64bit capable)

just to get back to the point, the question is not about 32/64 booting, but to why is card can't get a full QE/CI

BTW, SaarBH first came to me on PM, and i tried to help him, i tried for him all of those; 64bit, 32 bit, device-properties, graphicsenabler=y - of course, one at a time.

the thing is, either graphics-enabler or custom EFI both came with same result. the card name showed up on system profiler, but no QE/CI

the only thing that i found somehow strange is

PCIe Lane Width = x8

which i don't know, if it's his system/card doing this, as far as i know it should be x16, i don't know if this is the core of the problem but it's the only thing that make sense to me

I understand what his original question was but was first clearing up his not being clear on 32bit colour depth not being related to booting the kernel in 64bit mode.....

It is true that a system may not be able to boot into 64bit mode even if all the kexts are 64bit capable because the CPU has to be 64bit capable too i.e. be 64bit X64......i.e. all 64bit kexts are necessary but not sufficient......

The CPU if Intel, must include in its instruction set EM64T (or Intel64 since late 2006), while the CPU if AMD, must include in its instruction set x86-44 (or AMD64 since 2003).....

As for his graphics problem, I think being in a x8 slot should not affect CI/QE other than in terms of speed, since CI/QE are graphics card dependent I believe........

so it does make me curious why the card can;t have full acceleration.

seems like either the injectors (either EFI-string, or GraphicsEnabler) doing something wrong, or there is no support for this card under lion.

thing is even SL driver didn't help.

i think is only hope is NVinject, but i never had to use it so don't know the process to make it work

so it does make me curious why the card can;t have full acceleration.

seems like either the injectors (either EFI-string, or GraphicsEnabler) doing something wrong, or there is no support for this card under lion.

thing is even SL driver didn't help.

i think is only hope is NVinject, but i never had to use it so don't know the process to make it work

He could try NVEnabler64.kext in lion......see post #2 here.......especially the last section on "Inserting Graphics Card Hardware Matching Device ID into nVidia Graphics Kexts".....which I have suggested in an earlier post above.....

He could try NVEnabler64.kext in lion......see post #2 here.......especially the last section on "Inserting Graphics Card Hardware Matching Device ID into nVidia Graphics Kexts".....which I have suggested in an earlier post above.....

Look guys my CPU is working under 64-bit and my card is also running on 64bit

I had those glitches on lion so I've started messin things up with kext like nvenabler which did help me solve the glitches problem, but it got kernel panic and from now on I can boot only on 32-bit mode..

I've allready used nvenabler-64 and it did nothing but crush on bootup.

Thanks for your help, both of you are great!!

Look guys my CPU is working under 64-bit and my card is also running on 64bit

I had those glitches on lion so I've started messin things up with kext like nvenabler which did help me solve the glitches problem, but it got kernel panic and from now on I can boot only on 32-bit mode..

I've allready used nvenabler-64 and it did nothing but crush on bootup.

Thanks for your help, both of you are great!!

Post a screenshot of your kernel panic when trying to run NVEnabler64.kext in Lion booting in 64bit mode......

With my own GeForce 9800 GT graphics card, I can use NVEnabler64.kext in /Extra/Extensions/ in both OS X Lion and OS X Snow Leopard with full CI/QE and resolution switching, without having to insert the GeForce 9800 GT hardware matching device ID (0x061410de) into NVDANV50Hal.kext, let alone in NVDAResman.kext as well......

The errors have nothing to do with NVEnabler64.kext.......

The AppleRTC.kext is not being loaded into the kernel when you boot......

Which version are you using? See here.......

SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE Failed, SENSE_KEY=....... type errors related to CD/DVDRW disk read/write problems.......

So tell me how could it be that i'm booting fine on 32-bit?

And what can I do about that appleRTJ driver?

I've got 10.7.2 beta.. You think thats the problem?

Quite possibly.......check in the Beta 10.7.2 image file if AppleRTC is present........if so, it will have overwritten the AppleRTC.kext you had before updating to 10.7.2.....