OS X 10.7 (Lion) install on Dell Optiplex 745

client00

120 posts in this topic

machinist, tried/ verified everything you wrote - even erased all other IDs out of the two ATI ketxs - no go .. :( exact same situation as Vlad ..

I see two possibilities:

a) something in the 745's DSDT is blocking the 5450

B) your 5450 is indeed slightly different

Would you be so kind and extract and upload your ROM? Until we compare it can't be excluded. If they indeed are NOT the same, I'll load it via UseAtiROM=Yes.

BTW, you write EITHER UseAtiROM=Yes OR AtiConfig - does one *overwrite* the other ?? If so, do you know which is dominant?

EDIT: can't we just FORCE Baboon somewhere in the ATIFramebuffer kext ??

Vlad, your boot.plist looks fine. Add PCIRootUID=1 (or 0, whichever works) and that should be good.

Chameleon is seeing and identifying your 5450, but not matching it up properly to your board. The ioreg indicates you are loading the generic RadeonFb. Try the PCIRootUID argument and see if that flies?

i have tried adding the PCIRootUID and the card is stil recognized as 5000 series - and the default frame buffer is loaded

interesting is that the acceleration is still available even if the GE is no

i cannot believe that the same card is working for you and for me not , can you post please your configuration for making it work: what frame buffer you used, what parameters you specially set in your boot.plist. I tried booting with baboon and setting PCIRootUID to different values but it turned out with kernel panic in every situation

BugsB, Vlad, et al:

Attached is my bin/rom extracted in Win7(64) by trixx, sapphire's oc utility. It is NOT a zip file, so simply rename it to bin or rom. Can't be bothered compressing a ~60kb file. Notably, it is a couple kb smaller then extracts from other tools. Bought my card through Newegg a couple/few weeks ago. I think BugsB "Amazon" card was sourced through them at that time?

UseAtiROM is a Yes/No command whereas AtiConfig summons the Monkeys.

A fb can't be forced on a card the system doesn't recognize. And the rom only acquaints the system with the card's specs. If it could override the system's read of the card we'd all be using the function to oc our gfx.

Previous testing was with 10.6.8. With 10.7.3 Uakari is a strong contender to displace Baboon as my fb of choice. I'll be monkeying about with it for a while I suspect? I'm using Uakari right now.

Vlad, perhaps you might want to not use the kernel cache in your boot.plist? While it speeds booting, it won't automatically reflect changes made in the system.

BugsB, there are more then those two options.

5450M was recognized in 10.7+ without adding in device ids, so I suspect they are already in the appropriate kexts. GE is necessary, of course.

I'll run some trials with different configs and see what's the least one needs do to get the 5450M recognized.

Park5450M.zip

• Like 1

ok trying to see if it works

LATER:

maybe i'm stupid this is what i did:

-renamed the file you posted such as: 1002_68e1_3000174b.rom

-put it in extra folder

-changed config: UseAtiRom = Yes

-changed config: AtiConfig = Baboon

-changed GE=yes

when i'm booting again the boot loader is seeing the rom file, read's it and hangs booting the os

what i'm doing wrong?, what should i do?

Edited by Vlad

Keep trying? Sometimes a reboot or two is necessary for the changes to take effect.

Remove "Baboon" first and see if it still hangs, then remove the rom call.

Run

ioreg -l | grep -15 "AppleACPIPCI" | grep "_UID"

to discover your pciuid, if you haven't already?

Don't know that you are doing anything "wrong," but these are a few of the things you can try?

thank you!

@ machinist: ioreg -l | grep -15 "AppleACPIPCI" | grep "_UID" = 4

(how do I get ioreg queries to run from within an executable text file? does not work inside a .command file ..)

@ vlad: booted here w. machinists's ROM renamed to 1002_68e1_3000174b.rom and copied into /Extra, using ErmaC 1908. Via WAIT I see that 1002_68e1_3000174b.rom gets loaded thanks to UseAtiROM YES string/ key, displaying the 5450M accdg. to ErmaC's line in r1908 ati.c, but no change in FB recognition ..

Hopefully ROMs don't HAVE to originate from Everest/ AIDA64 or GPU-Z.

Bought my card through Newegg a couple/few weeks ago. I think BugsB "Amazon" card was sourced through them at that time?

Thank you for the link, but why should Amazon purchase through a competitor - they have their own sources, don't they? My experience has been that a card from Amazon, even with same name, is hardly ever the same as from NewEgg (I order from both). There's a multitude of revisions .. However in this case they were both precise, stating the exact (same) model # 100292DDR3L .. I need to now go ahead and also extract via Sapphire's oc utility.

UseAtiROM is a Yes/No command whereas AtiConfig summons the Monkeys.

I know - my question is why you used "either".

EDIT: no change w.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v PCIRootUID=4</string>

oddly enough with WAIT I still see "PCI-ROOT-UID set to 0" ...

EDIT2: when setting PCIRoot to 1, the boot value changes to "PCI-ROOT-UID set to 1" ... PCIRootUID is not even any value in Chameleon wizard - as a matter of fact it *deletes* it .. machinist, are you 100% sure that they/string combo 'PCIRoot' has not REPLACED PCIRootUID=x ??? It really seems that way ..

BugsB:

Well, at least chameleon is responding to your efforts? The rom is NOT being "loaded" by your Dell, it's merely being read by chameleon. But it's progress? You do have GraphicsEnabler enabled?

Not that makes any difference, but would you please give PCIRootUID its own key, and 4 its own string? (Tidier:less kludgey)

machinist, are you 100% sure that they/string combo 'PCIRoot' has not REPLACED PCIRootUID=x ??? It really seems that way ..

Empirically 100%. Deleted key, rebooted, and was greeted by the generic RadeonFB. Tried "PCIRoot" with same outcome. Now I'm back with Uakari as my FB and "PCIRootUID=1" in my plist. So, yeah, I'm sure.

Edit: Stray thought; try removing AppleACPIPlatform.kext from your system(s). Also, have you tried "safe booting" (-x)?

Apr 11 10:14:35 Vlads-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: RadeonMonitor: found 68e1 Radeon chip

Apr 11 10:14:35 Vlads-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: RadeonMonitor: Unknown DeviceID!

this is what i spotted in kernel.log .... the video card bios was loading using ErmaC 1918 for now i have the Eulemur fb set to load but it was not loaded

i have the device id in the ati5000controller and ATIRadeonX3000.kext but nothing's working for the moment :hammer:

Vlads-Mac-Pro:~ vlad$ ioreg -l | grep -15 "AppleACPIPCI" | grep "_UID"
| | |   "_UID" = "4"

can you extract your dsdt and post the file.... i think there are some problem in configuration of dsdt

booted again with the PCIRootUID=4 and the card is correctly recognized :) ---- but i have some problems:

• i have 2 displays detected and i'm using only one
  • the resolution is not correctly shown but i'm able to change it
  • the fb uakari is loaded finally

Then PCIRootUID=4 "should" work.

You may be on to something with the dsdt. I wrote mine a long time ago for my 9800gx2, then erased the nvidia entries but left the constructed PEGP for the new GFX, the 5450.

Please note: I do not run a 745 and my dsdt will at the least kp your rig.

However, you may be able to enable your 5450 if you write a place for your card, enable GE, and have PCIRootUID set to 4 (or wherever)?

Attached find my dsdt for a Gigabyte P45-UD3P. It is not compressed. Change zip to aml and you're good to go.

the rig is working :)... thank you for your patience i only have the issues spotted earlier

the rig is working :)... thank you for your patience i only have the issues spotted earlier

You are welcome to it. Kudos. Enjoy. Try out the other frame buffers and have fun. This "community" has provided me with much and it's my pleasure to reciprocate at least a little.

Good work.

great Vlad, congrats! now you're ahead of me. I've tried all above thanks to & accdg. to machinist but still no FB and DVD Player not launching. Does yours? I'm using the boot you compiled here (ErmaC r1918). Is that the same you're using right now?

And would you pls be so kind and either post or zip & attach your current org.cham.plist + smbios.plist? I'd luv 2 join the club :)

great Vlad, congrats! now you're ahead of me. I've tried all above thanks to & accdg. to machinist but still no FB and DVD Player not launching. Does yours? I'm using the boot you compiled here (ErmaC r1918). Is that the same you're using right now?

And would you pls be so kind and either post or zip & attach your current org.cham.plist + smbios.plist? I'd luv 2 join the club :)

yes dvd is launching all it's working. i have attached the zip file. The boot loader is the one i've compiled :)

Extra.zip

Post your boot plist (and other pertinent info), BugsB, and we can all have a go at it? Much quicker to access your PCI Card's fb info through system information, btw, rather then dvd player etc.

S U C C E S S ! Thanks to the two of U!

so yes, it is imperative with the 745 to set PCIRootUID to 4, best via

<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>4</string>

not via PCIRootUID=4 since Chameleon Wizard depreciates and deletes that.

This setting is most likely necessary for ANY ATI card inserted into the PEG slot (probably not for Nvidia cards as these do not require all this FB madness from what I know - correct me if I'm wrong).

Any current bootloader incl. Chimera works. The ones compiled by ErmaC and Vlad only seem to correct the card's name = cosmetic.

The blockage in my configuration was - THE EFI STRING via device properties in the org.chameleon plist, inserting Ethernet card values for the App Store login to work!! I need that for work.

So now all that seems left is that I need to find a kext that injects the correct values for the Ethernet card so OS X thinks it's a genuine Apple Network adapter, allowing access to the App Store. That should be feasible (but won't be researched before the the week-end, I'm pooped .. )

Thanks again to both of you.

Hey Vlad, how come you use a MacMini 5,1 smbios.plist ?? Any advantages in that? I thought the 745 is closest to an iMac 9 ..?

EDIT: what does your guys System Profiler display under PCICards? Mine still displays "No PCI cards found" (not even with Vlad's latest boot especially adapted to the Saphire 5450)

wow - the solution to have a working App Store login w/o EFI string device property is a Mac Mini smbios.plist - unbelievable! I copied Vlad's into /E, rebooted, App Store login working, and everything else still, too .. I'm stupefied!

I corrected and updated my OP 745 package - now v.2.0 (end of posting). Several people dled it - please redownload and apply changes.

Great teamwork here :) So to me this is now a 100% working h'tosh. In the near future I'll purchase a big 32+" screen and attach to hopefully HDMI otherwise DVI to have my 745 also be my new Media/ Cinema Center :)

• Like 1

nice to hear that, the problem with the appstore is that maybe your hardware id was not recognized until now, for me is not working at the moment :) so i'm happy that it's working for you

I forgot to mention, i'm running a optiplex 755 :) .... maybe you can help me customize my dsdt for system to work even better :)

755? hope u feel really bad about sneaking into this topic here .. ;)

Don't know enough about DSDT. It doesn't seem necessary anyway. Just boot w/o DSDT, run El Coniglio's DSDT Editor and Patcher, extract, add DTGP, compile, click "correct errors", save DSDT.aml to /Extra, that's it. That's how I created the DSDT in my package.

AppStore login: does the 755 have the same Ethernet chip on its mobo? I created a MacMini 4,1 smbios.plist w. Cham. Wizard + random serial. Also make sure you have Ethernet Integrated set to 1

IMPORTANT: *any* 5450's FB is EULEMUR - PERIOD!! That's the *only* FB that enables all three ports (VGA/ DVI/ HDMI). If you and machinist only use DVI or VGA, Baboon might deliver some FPS more .. but it does NOT change the fact that, in ati.c, the default FB for *any* HD 5450 must be set to Eulemur!!

5450 HDMI Audio: I just purchased a 37" HDTV and connected it to the HDMI port - nice! HDMI Audio works in Win7 64 via the latest ATI Catalyst driver. The VoodooHDA for the 745 does *not* deliver HDMI audio for the Saphire 5450 (VID 1002 | DID AA01 | SubSys 00AA0100). In some other topic s.b. writes "HDMI Audio only works w. patched AppleHDA not w. VoodooHDA" - that'd b sad 'cause they don't groove together, don't they (either/ or, right)?

Anyway, I'm interested in having HDMI audio added into the current VoodooHDA (or the correct DSDT hack) - ideas or links, anybody?

755? hope u feel really bad about sneaking into this topic here .. ;)

Don't know enough about DSDT. It doesn't seem necessary anyway. Just boot w/o DSDT, run El Coniglio's DSDT Editor and Patcher, extract, add DTGP, compile, click "correct errors", save DSDT.aml to /Extra, that's it. That's how I created the DSDT in my package.

AppStore login: does the 755 have the same Ethernet chip on its mobo? I created a MacMini 4,1 smbios.plist w. Cham. Wizard + random serial. Also make sure you have Ethernet Integrated set to 1

IMPORTANT: *any* 5450's FB is EULEMUR - PERIOD!! That's the *only* FB that enables all three ports (VGA/ DVI/ HDMI). If you and machinist only use DVI or VGA, Baboon might deliver some FPS more .. but it does NOT change the fact that, in ati.c, the default FB for *any* HD 5450 must be set to Eulemur!!

5450 HDMI Audio: I just purchased a 37" HDTV and connected it to the HDMI port - nice! HDMI Audio works in Win7 64 via the latest ATI Catalyst driver. The VoodooHDA for the 745 does *not* deliver HDMI audio for the Saphire 5450 (VID 1002 | DID AA01 | SubSys 00AA0100). In some other topic s.b. writes "HDMI Audio only works w. patched AppleHDA not w. VoodooHDA" - that'd b sad 'cause they don't groove together, don't they (either/ or, right)?

Anyway, I'm interested in having HDMI audio added into the current VoodooHDA (or the correct DSDT hack) - ideas or links, anybody?

as far as i know you must do some dsdt and hex editing to enable the HDMI audio

VoodooHDA 0.2.7.3 (from latest Mu|tibeast) even detects the HDMI Audio port, AND onboard audio is still working. However in Sound prefs: "HDMI does not have out port". Anyway, that's a good spot to start. I'd first prefer to see if I can get by w/o DSDT editing.

as far as i know you must do some dsdt and hex editing to enable the HDMI audio

that's one way to do it (apart from editing VoodooHDA or AppleHDA), but maybe even the quickest. Anyway, if s.b. has time to get HDMI audio going for the HD 5450 (I don't at this point), here's toleda's manual incl. useful files.