ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 on Sony FW

asofan

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I have a Sony FW 450J with ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 ( dev id 9480)

I used to visit this site two or three times a day two years ago hoping for a solution for my graphics card. However, there was no hope for a solution then.

Now I can see that several people here were able to make it work perfect. The problem is that there is so much advanced jargon and steps in the tutorials that makes a newbie like me get lost so quickly. For example, I have no idea what these things are:

Kext

ATY_init

DSDT

Shrike Personality

S/L/E

LVDS

GraphicsEnabler=YES

com.apple.boot.plist

framebuffer

UseATIRom

Extra

So I started this post hoping for some assistance to help me (and the million others like me) get this card to work with full resolution (1600x900) and enable QE/CI.

I already installed Snow leopard using a retail copy of Snow Leopard (10.6.0) and the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method from here: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibo...ac-os-x-on.html

However I couldn't get the installer to boot without these commands: GraphicsEnabler=No -x

After I finidhed the install I rebooted using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and I can only boot using the same commands but I see this only allows me to work under safe mode which does not allow me to mount any USB drive!!

Now can someone help me get through from here?

Thanks a billion in advance.

--------------

Edit #1 July 27th 9:15pm (GMT +3)

I booted the system in safe mode as above and removed all Kexts that start with ATI in System/Library/Extensions. Now I'm able to boot with only command (GraphicsEnabler=No) and I'm also working in Normal mode and can mount USB and CD roms, etc...

Still need a lot of help.

---------------

Edit #2 July 28th 9:48am (GMT +3)

After reading a little I now know a couple of things:

1) the term /S/L/E is short for the path to folder /System/Library/Extensions

2) In order to boot in 64bit mode you need to use the command arch=x86_x64 in startup

At the moment I'm trying the method and kexts available here: http://www.kexts.com/view/1457-4650m_patch...hrike_9480.html

---------------

Kext -> The extension of the kernel

ATY_Init -> Is an extension that make to recognize your ATI 4650 mobility correctly

DSDT -> Is an alternative table of the original from the bios

Shrike Personality -> Is an hexadecimal sequence that make your card work correctly

S/L/E -> Are the folder where there are the extension or .kext System/Library/Extensions

LVDS -> Is the lcd panel of your notebook

Graphics Enabler = YES -> Is a flag that you put in the com.apple.boot.plist to enable graphics it used for ati mobility ,it makes the same work of the ATY_Init but this flag is integrated in the bootloader

framebuffer -> Is an hexadecimal sequence provided for graphics card to make them work

com.apple.boot.plist -> Is a property list document where you put flag for chameleon(bootloader)

UseATIRom -> Is a flag that make you use the ati rom that you backed up from your graphic card

Extra -> Is a folder for the chameleon bootloader, and where you put com.apple.boot.plist, dsdt.aml, smbios.plist(it does recognize your pc as a mac), and other extensions that make you run hackintosh on your PC such as FakeSMC.kext(that simulate SMC chip)

Have you understood all?? If not say me

Hello everyone,

I have a Sony FW 450J with ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 ( dev id 9480)

I used to visit this site two or three times a day two years ago hoping for a solution for my graphics card. However, there was no hope for a solution then.

Now I can see that several people here were able to make it work perfect. The problem is that there is so much advanced jargon and steps in the tutorials that makes a newbie like me get lost so quickly. For example, I have no idea what these things are:

Kext

ATY_init

DSDT

Shrike Personality

S/L/E

LVDS

GraphicsEnabler=YES

com.apple.boot.plist

framebuffer

UseATIRom

Extra

So I started this post hoping for some assistance to help me (and the million others like me) get this card to work with full resolution (1600x900) and enable QE/CI.

I already installed Snow leopard using a retail copy of Snow Leopard (10.6.0) and the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method from here: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibo...ac-os-x-on.html

However I couldn't get the installer to boot without these commands: GraphicsEnabler=No -x

After I finidhed the install I rebooted using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and I can only boot using the same commands but I see this only allows me to work under safe mode which does not allow me to mount any USB drive!!

Now can someone help me get through from here?

Thanks a billion in advance.

--------------

Edit #1 July 27th 9:15pm (GMT +3)

I booted the system in safe mode as above and removed all Kexts that start with ATI in System/Library/Extensions. Now I'm able to boot with only command (GraphicsEnabler=No) and I'm also working in Normal mode and can mount USB and CD roms, etc...

Still need a lot of help.

---------------

Edit #2 July 28th 9:48am (GMT +3)

After reading a little I now know a couple of things:

1) the term /S/L/E is short for the path to folder /System/Library/Extensions

2) In order to boot in 64bit mode you need to use the command arch=x86_x64 in startup

At the moment I'm trying the method and kexts available here: http://www.kexts.com/view/1457-4650m_patch...hrike_9480.html

---------------

hi asofan.post your video rom may be i can help you!

Thank you leopard1993 for your clarification. Now I know what these terms mean, but I don't know how to put them to work :-)

Cyrus the Great, I appreciate your offer to help. But how can I get my video rom?

Thank you leopard1993 for your clarification. Now I know what these terms mean, but I don't know how to put them to work :-)

Cyrus the Great, I appreciate your offer to help. But how can I get my video rom?

you can get it using everest:

download it here:مثلك ، أنا أعيش في منطقة الشرق الأوسط، وكنت قادرا على نسخ غير قانونية لاستخدام البرمجيات.

http://www.softgozar.com/WebPage/Download....5.50-Build-2100

Thanks Cyrus,

I installed and ran Everest. I did a right click on the "Display" item on the left menu and clicked "Report>Plain Text".

The resulting file is attached. I hope this is what you meant by the video rom. If not, please let me know.

--------------

Edit: July 29th, 2011 7:59PM (GMT +3)

I did a quick search online and saw that in order to get the video dump, you open Everest and right click on the status bar, click on Video debug and then on video bios dump. I did just that and the result is attached also

Report_everest_sonyfw450j_ati4650_1002x9480.txt

vgabios.zip

hi asofan i am decode your video rom .but i can't see any sense id for lids in it .i don't it bug with your rom or bug with bcc9 decoder any way.the sense id is necessary to getting your card work.

but i must say sorry .without sense id i can't help you

Thanks cyrus for your help. I hope someone else can help me...

I followed the instructions outlined in Mucha's post here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=252061

Here are the steps I did:

1)In a PC, I downloaded and installed Everest (http://www.softgozar.com/WebPage/Download....5.50-Build-2100)

2) I opened Everest and right-clicked on the status bar(at the bottom), clicked on "Video debug" and then on "Video bios dump". I saved the resulting file in the desktop and renamed it to "1002_9480.rom".

3) I downloaded bcc9's video dump decoding tool from the bottom of this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=249642

4) I saved the files in a usb stick and moved to the Sony FW and started OSX Snow leopard and pasted the files on the desktop

5) In osx, I launched Terminal (from Finder>Applications>Utilities) & ran these commands:

cd Desktop
./radeon_bios_decode < 1002_9480.rom > connector.txt

This produced a file called connector.txt in the Desktop

6) this is the content of the content of the connector.txt

ATOM BIOS Rom: 
SubsystemVendorID: 0x104d SubsystemID: 0x9035
IOBaseAddress: 0xd000
Filename: BR32701.001 
BIOS Bootup Message: 
Sony_M763_M96M2LP_gDDR3 M96 GDDR3 128bit 450e/600m                          

PCI ID: 1002:9480
Connector at index 0
Type [@offset 45890]: LVDS (7)
Encoder [@offset 45894]: INTERNAL_UNIPHY2 (0x21)
Connector at index 1
Type [@offset 45900]: VGA (1)
Encoder [@offset 45904]: INTERNAL_KLDSCP_DAC1 (0x15)
i2cid [@offset 45971]: 0x90, OSX senseid: 0x1
Connector at index 2
Type [@offset 45910]: HDMI-A (11)
Encoder [@offset 45914]: INTERNAL_UNIPHY (0x1e)
i2cid [@offset 45994]: 0x94, OSX senseid: 0x5

As you can see... this did not turn out is not as I expected. The sense id that's supposed to be there as the guide mentioned aren't there...

This is where I'm stuck... can anyone help from this point on? (Maybe Mucha or bcc9? )

Thanks in advance

Hi asofan,

I also have a Vaio and the connector info indeed does not show any i2c-related information for the LVDS connector. This seems to be a common issue with Vaio's, in that a different type of connector is used instead of the common i2c chips.

I thus never managed to get my internal screen working fully. It is possible to get things up and running using your native resolution by using GraphicsEnabler=No and Graphics Mode=1600x900x32 (if that is your native res) in your com.apple.boot.plist (or org.chameleon.boot.plist if you're using a more recent version of Chameleon). In this way, OSX will boot using VESA-enabled graphics. You just won't have QE/CI (i.e. hardware acceleration).

External connections do work fine though. If you hook up an external VGA monitor or HDMI screen you'll have all resolutions and full QE/CI. Just follow the different tutorials around. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Any real progress for Vaio users ? My girlfriend (yeah, OSX is not my only "hobby") bought a new laptop and now I installed Lion on her old MSI EX700(Core2Duo 1.66GHz, 2GB ram, GeForce 8400GS). Everything works except sleep and the buil-in WiFi(intel 4965) but I use a usb stick.

Lion is great, especially with QE/CI, but because ofthe low specs the system sometimes hangs. The keyboard is also very hard to type on (no island keys like on MacBooks and Vaios).

I really wish I could get Snow Leopard or Lion with QE/CI on my Vaio, maybe even the intel wifi link 5100 agn !?!?.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm trying to run OSX Lion (iatkos L2) on Vaio FW46Z (Core2Duo T6500, 4GB ram ddr2 800MHz, 4650 mobility 1GB gddr3, 1920x1080 dual lamp laptop display).

After installation about nothing work.. no keyboard/mouse, no audio, no wifi, no ethernet, no correct display, no gpu hardware acceleration.. after some days I managed to get kb/mouse, lan, and audio but still a big problem with gpu.. currently I can't boot without SafeMode (-x flag) and in this mode I can only enable a 4:3 res of 1400x1050 by forcing it with "Graphics Mode"="1920x1080x32".. yeah seems that is max allowed res.

When booting in normal mode after verbose logs I get a white/gray display and after some seconds on screen come some artifacts.. I have not tried with external monitor.

I'm using ATY_INIT and no Graphics Enabler (I tried all that can be found here and in other topics on internet for lion with also ati4600controller and other ati kext but no lucks :( ), with GE enabled can't boot.. this gpu seems working with any osx version with any laptop except the vaio, as I know (don't know if it may be relevant) the only difference is that the one on the sony laptops is underclocked (450/600) and undervolted (1.0V instead of 1.1V), someone here has get it working in some ways? also without QE/CI? hw info are the same found in this topic.

Has somebody been able to successfully run one osx version (10.6, 10.7 or 10.8) with correct gpu driver for 4650m on vaio?

or can point me in right direction to achieve this?

about ATY_init connectors what 'means' when I get a lightgray display with artifacts in internal lvds?

currently I tried with many framebuffer injected via chameleon flag (shrike, gliff, birds,..), but nothing changed and dual link patch in dsdt but again same bahavior :(

need help or hints, is there also some tweaks to use for dsdt patching for intel PM45 motherboard and core2duo? (I've applied some common patch found on olarila.com but here too nothing changed)

thanks for your reply

update: tried also to inject an other EDID (by using monitor override), and again, nothing changed, the new EDID I inserted is correctly load, I can read the new monitor name when booting in osx using safe mode in System Info. I took edid from Windows (using ELDIM-EDID-Viewer and choosing the first profile listed as 'MS_0000', 'Default_Monitor' profile gives error when the program tries to read, with MonInfo.exe I have an error on program start up when tries to read edid, in Ubuntu all the utilities to read EDID give errors)

• 3 weeks later...