Mac OS X 10.7 Lion GM on HP DV7-4000 Series Laptops

ZackMacAttack

11 posts in this topic

Installing 10.7 Lion on an HP DV7-4000 Series Laptop

This is NOT guide yet, just simply a place to talk about it.

OK so I am really excited about Lion, not because of all the cool features for our Real Macs (Hacks too) but because my ATI Graphics card is finally supported with a simple fix, which means it should be a pretty smooth install of OS X now, not only for me but for all people "stuck" with the DV7 4000 Series laptops from HP.

Things that work so far:

1. Boot, Lion will boot on the i5 using the Legecy 10.8 Kernel.

2. Basic Mouse and Keyboard, with some old Kexts I have laying around

Things that are not quite working yet:

1. Mainly just graphics.

I am really excited to really get into this.... I will be posting more "Working, Not Working" in the Near future as I figure this stuff out.

Also I expect to have a Guide for this system and my Tower system out by the end on the year.

Excellent.

I have a DV7-4050EA and can't wait to get Lion up and running.

I have i7 and Raedon HD 5650. HP web specs .

Having some trouble just now getting the lion installation up and running. Can you quickly describe how you got there?

I have trouble getting SL to update past the retail install, so i opted for the USB methods. So far i have a panic ( Unable to find driver for this platform ) ACPI issues.

Looking forward to a guide and i'll be posting up my trials.

Excellent.

I have a DV7-4050EA and can't wait to get Lion up and running.

I have i7 and Raedon HD 5650. HP web specs .

Having some trouble just now getting the lion installation up and running. Can you quickly describe how you got there?

I have trouble getting SL to update past the retail install, so i opted for the USB methods. So far i have a panic ( Unable to find driver for this platform ) ACPI issues.

Looking forward to a guide and i'll be posting up my trials.

Hey buddy, First you really need to get a working 10.6 install to work with, plus Lion is essentially an upgrade so it looks to make sure you have Snow Leopard first.

I use the 10.6.3 Retail DVD with the MBCD Boot CD to get SL installed. (Make sure you are booting with "-v cpus=1 busratio=XX" Replace XX with your core clock multiplier, if you don't know it, there is a guide linked in my Signature on how to figure it out, addtionally I can do it for you, I just need your speed (IE 2.6GHz, 3.1GHz)

The worst thing about Lion is the Dang Kernel, I have only gotten the installer to boot up once and never actually gotten into the OS. Have tried booting with all boot flags like -x for safe mode and even -s for single user command line with no lick.

So really we need to wait for the 11.0.0 Legacy Kernel to even begin to boot our CPU's (I am actually not sure if you need the Legacy with the i7), I was reading that the 10.8.0 Legacy Kernel may boot Lion but no positive answer yet.

You might want to try the http://www.kakewalk.se method. It looks pretty simple and self explanatory.

I will definitely be make a walk-thru the minute I get 10.7 installed and booted. :)

I have a dv6 3136tx which is quite similar. i5 460M, 6GB RAM, Raedon 5650/Intel HD 3000. So far, I've managed to get it to load all the HFS+ files in verbose mode, by doing this (http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/...5lkch6b#msg8102) with the files a few posts above that. However, it then just reboots.

Um, that is a kernel panic, if you boot in verbose (-v) mode does it say "System uptime......." before it reboots?

Needless to say, it is definitely the kernel that does not like your CPU (Some mobile i5 and i7's are not vanilla compatible)

So you can try to use the 10.8.0 Legacy Kernel on your thumb drive or wait for the 11.0.0 Kernel for 10.7.

Um, that is a kernel panic, if you boot in verbose (-v) mode does it say "System uptime......." before it reboots?

Needless to say, it is definitely the kernel that does not like your CPU (Some mobile i5 and i7's are not vanilla compatible)

So you can try to use the 10.8.0 Legacy Kernel on your thumb drive or wait for the 11.0.0 Kernel for 10.7.

I'm not sure. It goes by too fast. I'll try recording it and slow it down.

And I'll try the 10.8.0 Legacy Kernel now.

Edit: With the Legacy Kernel, I get a same issue as above. I'll wait for SL to download and install that first.

• 1 month later...

hey ...

hello ..

guyz plz guide me .. my Notebook is HP Pavilion DV7-4269wm details are given below ... guyz i want to install mac os x snow leopard or Lion ... any os x because i need to use FINAL CUT PRO ..... please guide me i am a noob but i installed OS X through VMware ... but its useless for me ...

please guide me ...

thank you ...

Aadi189..

HP Pavilion 17.3-inch DV7-4269WMLaptop PC with Windows 7:

Intel Core i5-480M processor

2.66GHz

4GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 8GB)

750GB SATA hard drive

LightScribe Blu-ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD Burner with Double Layer support

10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN

Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet or wirelessly connect to a Wi-Fi signal or hotspot with the

802.11b/g/n connection built into your HP Pavilion 17.3-inch DV7-4269WM Laptop PC with Windows 7

17.3" HP BrightView LED display

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6370 Graphics with 512MB DDR3 with up to 2202MB total graphics memory

Additional Pavilion Notebook Computer Features:

5-in-1 memory card reader

3 x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x USB port eSATA port, 1 x HDMI port, 1 x headphone-out, 1 x microphone-in, 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet port, 1 x VGA port

9-cell lithium-ion battery, up to 7 hours, 30 min battery life

post-814591-1314106780_thumb.jpg

post-814591-1314106803_thumb.jpg

post-814591-1314106833_thumb.jpg

post-814591-1314106847_thumb.jpg

post-814591-1314106862_thumb.jpg

post-814591-1314106875_thumb.jpg

post-814591-1314106894_thumb.jpg

post-814591-1314106908_thumb.jpg

Aai_HP.html

• 3 weeks later...

Hello HP dv something users,

To start, cannot wait for guide. I have got everything that I need onto a flash drive via several tutorial (mostly Mammoth and here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=265438&hl=lion+hp+dv6 Now I have trouble with one particular kernel panic.

When I boot, It scrolls through all the text that it is suppose to, then, when it changes screens (grey to black) and begins its scrolling of text, i get the following panic:

panic(cpu0 caller 0x55f2db): "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/users/nawcom/Builds/bootcd-1504.7.4/iokit/Kernal/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1393

Followed by a bunch of numbers (bunch of jarbled jargon of numbers):

2mra35g.jpg

2cegpsm.jpg

Does anyone know what this is or have a fix?

God speed.

-Jugz

• 3 weeks later...
Hello HP dv something users,

To start, cannot wait for guide. I have got everything that I need onto a flash drive via several tutorial (mostly Mammoth and here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=265438&hl=lion+hp+dv6 Now I have trouble with one particular kernel panic.

When I boot, It scrolls through all the text that it is suppose to, then, when it changes screens (grey to black) and begins its scrolling of text, i get the following panic:

panic(cpu0 caller 0x55f2db): "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/users/nawcom/Builds/bootcd-1504.7.4/iokit/Kernal/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1393

Followed by a bunch of numbers (bunch of jarbled jargon of numbers):

Does anyone know what this is or have a fix?

God speed.

-Jugz

Hey Buddy, First of all are you trying to boot 10.6 or 10.7?

Regardless of which os you are booting you need to use the legacy kernel or you will get these errors.

It appears that you are loading the 10.4.0 Legacy kernel by Nawcom. This kernel will only work properly with 10.6.4 if you want 10.6.3 you need 10.3.0 and for 10.7 you need legacy kernel 11.0.0 and for 10.7.1, 11.1.0... see that pattern?

I hope this helps.

• 6 months later...

Hey everyone,I was just curious if anyone could point me in the right direction for getting snow leopard installed on this system:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02474573&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4230592

change the last post by me to this:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02587937&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4301592&tool=