[GUIDE] Snow Leopard on HP ProLiant Microserver N36L (AMD)

janitor

369 posts in this topic

Cool - thanks,

Am in the UK but have family visiting from America in a few weeks so will get them to bring this over for me ! :-)

Happy Days

Yes, looks like the right one. I got it from superbiiz.com. It was $25 including tax and shipping:

• 2 weeks later...

been a while since i updated on my end sorry - been distracted with outside distractions. from memory I was seeing some interesting behaviours.

i can get 1650x1080 with the internal graphics card but if i boot from an internal hdd it's hit and miss and will 50% boot to something like 1400x1080. if i boot from a usb hdd then it was much more consistent at 1680x1050. Pretty sure i tried a few diff versions of chameleon on the internal boot drive but didnt manage to fix this - usb boot is always more consistent.

also like some others i find the ethernet a little hit and miss. i never get a mac address but more often than not the network will come up straight away and as fdx 1G.

also iirc noted that file transfers across the network could be very slow < 10MB/s and other times could be >50MBs - wondered if it might be disc postion related but didnt have a chance to test properly yet. Also wondering if it's related to the internal ethernet/kext or maybe the bios configuration. i updated to the russian bios.

Have an Asus U3S6 card installed and interestingly the SATA ports are seen as native - ie Disc utility shows same icon as the onboard sata ports. Useful as you can get full SMART info on discs attached to those ports. This isn't the case witha 2 port SI3132 card i tried - iirc they showed up as SCSI drives and provided no SMART info. USB3.0 ports worked fine with the hacked kext from elsewhere on the site.

will update once i find some time to test again.

Have an Asus U3S6 card installed and interestingly the SATA ports are seen as native

Curious as to how you did this. This is not a low-profile card, although it should fit, but it only comes with a standard size bracket. At least mine did.

Curious as to how you did this. This is not a low-profile card, although it should fit, but it only comes with a standard size bracket. At least mine did.

Yep mine too - contacted Asus but they weren't able to help witha low profile bracket.

At the moment it's installed with the bracket removed.

The sata cable on top is a90 degree one and required a little bit of twisting to fit - nothing that would cause me too much concern and has the added advantage of touching the case above and providing a little bit of stability. I installed the USB cables before reseating the card and powering on - minimise risk of disturbing the card with power on.

It's a temporary situation - as I hope to borrow a friends dremel and cut the full size bracket and then bend to fit. I've not done it before so no idea how it will go - but there are a number of refs on the net of people doing similar things that make me think it's worth a go. Might practice on an old non working card first! It doesn't have to look good - just lock the card in place so I can remove the small risk of disturbing the card.

Yep mine too - contacted Asus but they weren't able to help witha low profile bracket.

It's a temporary situation - as I hope to borrow a friends dremel and cut the full size bracket and then bend to fit.

Let us know how you got on. I have tried this sort of thing before and it is less straightforward than you might think. The bracket on my card looks too solid for the relatively weak motor in Dremels to cut notches through. I have tried in the past by creating a temporary backplate out of PC board and heavy card. Neither really worked too well, particularly if you have to plug/unplug items.

Let us know how you got on. I have tried this sort of thing before and it is less straightforward than you might think. The bracket on my card looks too solid for the relatively weak motor in Dremels to cut notches through. I have tried in the past by creating a temporary backplate out of PC board and heavy card. Neither really worked too well, particularly if you have to plug/unplug items.

thanks for the heads up splonk - appreciate it.

think if the modifying the plate plan doesn't work, i'll find a way to cable tie the usb 3 cables, so that when i plug/unplug external drives the card doesn't move.

will post here and let you know how it goes.

----------------

Taken a while sorry Splonk- a few problems with the dremel cutting wheel last week but all sorted now.

Managed to modify the bracket today - practiced on an old bracket first. It's far from pretty -especially since i've not cut off the additional 2-3cm, as I wanted to leave the option of using it in a full height slot in the future.

So that part is sticking out parallel to the desk - not a problem because you cant see it and I would never want to push the server too close to a wall for ventilation reasons anyway.

Also noticed in sys profiler that the superspeed usb shows a maximum of 480Mb/s when i expected it to show 5Gb/s. Tested the port with the 250G drive and a 1TB Samsung internally - measured transfer speeds with iStat and saw a peak of 92MB/s so the port isn't limited to 480Mb/s no matter what SP says.

• 2 weeks later...

Ta for the update. Could you bung up a pic of the bracket if you have the time? I might give it a bash myself and was considering taking this approach myself so I could have the option of using the card in a standard machine later should I need to. If you don't want to dismantle your machine again, I'll understand. It is a bit of a faff getting the motherboard in and out.

With regard to the USB 3.0 port, I have a Startech card in mine at the moment and get full USB 3 goodness, so I wonder which kext you used. As far as I know, the Asus card is not known as problematical for USB 3.

Ta for the update. Could you bung up a pic of the bracket if you have the time? I might give it a bash myself and was considering taking this approach myself so I could have the option of using the card in a standard machine later should I need to. If you don't want to dismantle your machine again, I'll understand. It is a bit of a faff getting the motherboard in and out.

With regard to the USB 3.0 port, I have a Startech card in mine at the moment and get full USB 3 goodness, so I wonder which kext you used. As far as I know, the Asus card is not known as problematical for USB 3.

will take some pics and post np - hopefully in next day or 2. will take them of the asus card in situ initially - as you say - pain in backside dismantling.

but also have the esata card i practiced on - out of the machine, so you can see what that looks like too. it's been straightened out again to full height & is also not pretty.

both are fine examples of a bodge it approach!

When I take the pics - if it's not clear enough what i've done will dismantle - but will need to wait till weekend.

re the kext - thats a very good point. iirc when i had it installed in my Mac Pro i used the Lacie standard and the modbin modified from here. dont remember any major probs as you say.

When I installed it in the HP at weekend, this site seemed to be down so I used google to track down the files - so may have used wrong/different kexts - will need to look into that at weekend too.

One last update from me - i've now been trying to use it as a server proper rather than as a 2nd desktop to play and I'm finding that it's locking up overnight.

Lockup = no ability to share screen, use apple remote desktop, click on icon in other macs finder sidebar and login - these all fail.

When i hook up a vga display, the desktop or whatever app is displayed, but no response from the kb or mouse.

Tried pressing power switch to see if that helped - no change so had to press and hold to power down.

On reboot there's nothing obvious in the console just some regular events from the torrent client which stop - presumably when the lockup occurs.

Will pay some more attention to console next time it happens.

Anyone else experiencing this? i'd say it happens regularly - often within 24hrs and definitely within 48 of a boot.

Pics below - bberry but better than i expected tbh

1st one shows asus card in situ. you can see i've removed the black metal cover/door - this was easy - just eased it off it's hinge with a fingernail.

See how far down you have to go with the dremel - halfway thro the top mounting tab.

Also you can see how when i bent it to 90 degrees it didnt work perfectly - ie the lhs of the bracket is a little higher than the rhs so it's at a bit of an angle - but still good enough to tighten the screw and hold it in place.

The problem is that the tab is just about a cm higher up than ideal.

post-550611-1320262323_thumb.jpg

2nd one is a closeup and probably shows the dremel cutting a bit better.

post-550611-1320262160_thumb.jpg

3rd one shows the esata card after cutting, bending, installing and then removing and straightening again.

Good enough to go back in a full height slot i think.

The line across the bracket is a line i scored in the metal with the dremel - an attempt to make the bracket easier to bend - not sure it made any difference.

post-550611-1320262202_thumb.jpg

4th one you can see that the esata bracket is not fully straight afterwards.

post-550611-1320262294_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that. I'm impressed the Dremel made it through the metal. I didn't think it had it in it. I might give it a go and sacrifice the end of the bracket. If I need it to go into a full sized machine I can always beg Asus for another bracket.

With regard to the lockup, I had something similar the other day on a full sized Proliant I had running all day. This is on SL server 10.6.8. I tried screensharing into it and couldn't connect. I found an old copy of Remote Desktop and threw it on. Still didn't get anywhere, although I could still log into my Proliant and mount shares via Finder. Not sure what is going on, but I disabled any sort of sleep via prefs in all my servers as HP doesn't support S3 in them.

Try this kext for your USB 3 and see if it helps

PXHCD.kext.zip

Hi,

Finally got and installed the superbiiz Intel ethernet card. However, struggling with the tonymac instructions on these bits:-

1. Can't edit this (see next line) beyond the Plugin bit. I installed the IONetworkFamily.kext from the guide (page 1) /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Intel82574L.kext/Contents/Info.plist

2. Also guide asks me to enter my vendor code but only tells me how to find out in windows (but i've only got OSX on this box)

Can anyone help .. ?

Thanks

TK

Yes, looks like the right one. I got it from superbiiz.com. It was $25 including tax and shipping:

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=I...d674c02b1d1cd56

You would need to tweak the ktext plist a bit:

http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4057

Edit'ed the IONetworkingFamily text file in Windows and changed the contents to look like this :-

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>Intel82574L</string>

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x10D38086 0x104b8086 0x10f68086</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>IOResourceMatch</key>

<string>IOKit</string>

Installed with Kext installer and repaired permissions and rebooted, but no en1 and no joy.

Really stuck now

:-(

Hi,

Finally got and installed the superbiiz Intel ethernet card. However, struggling with the tonymac instructions on these bits:-

1. Can't edit this (see next line) beyond the Plugin bit. I installed the IONetworkFamily.kext from the guide (page 1) /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Intel82574L.kext/Contents/Info.plist

2. Also guide asks me to enter my vendor code but only tells me how to find out in windows (but i've only got OSX on this box)

Can anyone help .. ?

Thanks

TK

Looks like I've got it sorted ! :P

IONetworkFamily.kext file needed to come from a Snow Leopard Image and not from a Lion one.

As soon as I changed, and installed it, EN1 became available

Cheers all

TK

PS - What's up with this forum, I can only see two pages when I go to the front page ??!!

Edit'ed the IONetworkingFamily text file in Windows and changed the contents to look like this :-

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>Intel82574L</string>

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x10D38086 0x104b8086 0x10f68086</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>IOResourceMatch</key>

<string>IOKit</string>

Installed with Kext installer and repaired permissions and rebooted, but no en1 and no joy.

Really stuck now

:-(

Thanks for that. I'm impressed the Dremel made it through the metal. I didn't think it had it in it. I might give it a go and sacrifice the end of the bracket. If I need it to go into a full sized machine I can always beg Asus for another bracket.

With regard to the lockup, I had something similar the other day on a full sized Proliant I had running all day. This is on SL server 10.6.8. I tried screensharing into it and couldn't connect. I found an old copy of Remote Desktop and threw it on. Still didn't get anywhere, although I could still log into my Proliant and mount shares via Finder. Not sure what is going on, but I disabled any sort of sleep via prefs in all my servers as HP doesn't support S3 in them.

Try this kext for your USB 3 and see if it helps

PXHCD.kext.zip

Sorry not replied sooner Splonk.

Not had a chance to try the USB 3 kext you attached yet - a little distracted but also wanted to try something else re the lockup problem. Realised that i was still booting from usb 2 - i'd installed a 2.5 hdd into the bay below the optical area and cabled it to the internal usb 2 port.

Also remembered that earlier in this thread someone had mentioned that they thought usb still wasn't very stable on this build. Anyway changed my set up so am still using the same 2.5 drive, but connected it to the 5th on board sata port - next to the usb 2 port. it's been up now for 2 1/2 days with no issues. will leave it till the weekend before doing anything on usb 3.

Picking up on tk007b posts about his ethernet - i'm still on the baseboard ethernet and think i've narrowed down the performance issues i was seeing before. Now dont think the performance problems are related to the choice of destination disks in the HP - it seems to be very slow when the source is external and writing to any disk in the HP, but better when copying from the HP to an external Mac/PC.

If i was to look at a replacement Ethernet card - what are the advantages of the Intel being used by a few here? Seems you still have to modify kexts with the Intel - so why not use a low cost card like the TP link below for example?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Gigabit-Ne..._cp_computers_2

If i was to look at a replacement Ethernet card - what are the advantages of the Intel being used by a few here? Seems you still have to modify kexts with the Intel - so why not use a low cost card like the TP link below for example?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Gigabit-Ne..._cp_computers_2

I haven't had a problem with Realtek network cards, although they aren't really rated at the bottom end. I got myself a Lycom PE-06 from Scan, which has a Marvel Yukon 8056 chip onboard. I can't remember whether I needed to patch it or not but it gets recognised as a 8053 card, which has native support under Apple. This came with an LP bracket where other cards didn't.

On my full size Proliant, I threw in an Apple Mac Pro dual Gigabit card. I picked up a couple from Jigsaw24, which they were selling off for £20 apiece. Needless to say, those work the best and out of the box but they do need an x4 slot and the card comes in an x16 format so needs trimming.

I haven't had a problem with Realtek network cards, although they aren't really rated at the bottom end. I got myself a Lycom PE-06 from Scan, which has a Marvel Yukon 8056 chip onboard. I can't remember whether I needed to patch it or not but it gets recognised as a 8053 card, which has native support under Apple. This came with an LP bracket where other cards didn't.

On my full size Proliant, I threw in an Apple Mac Pro dual Gigabit card. I picked up a couple from Jigsaw24, which they were selling off for £20 apiece. Needless to say, those work the best and out of the box but they do need an x4 slot and the card comes in an x16 format so needs trimming.

Can see from reading around the Lycom card is top notch & often fitted to HP Server boxes - only cheap one I could find was on we are electricals and by all accounts those guys are to be avoided!

Hadn't realised that the MP Ethernet ports were on a PCIE interface and could be installed elsewhere - assumed there was some kind of cable behind the chassis to the motherboard.

I think i'll give the TP-Link card a try - with lnx2mac providing some pd good kext package support for those Realtek 8xxx based cards and of course cost of card is low. No LP bracket but am happy to use the dremel again!

Btw did you try your U3S6 card?

I am pretty sure the Mac Pro port is onboard. The card I got is presumably for expansion purposes. I think it was originally intended for Xserves.

http://www.morecomputers.com/extra.asp?pn=MB977G%2FA

I think the card is obsolete now and replaced with one that takes an x4 slot, which is probably why I got those for a song. Presumably, since Xserves are history that card will soon follow suit. It sports very bright light blue and green indicator LEDs.

Surprised the Lycom is out of stock. Scan was plugging this card as a hot seller for ages and it was only about £14 or so. I would personally pay a little extra for the LP bracket as I am a lazy bodger. It seems as if there is only a choice of the Edimax and the Startech at the moment, both of which have Realtek chips onboard.

Re: above, I have not got around to massacring the U3S6 yet. I got some other toys to play with first. By the way, how stable is it after improving the bracket? I note that the second screw clip is a little above the point where you need to bend the bracket, so presumably is not attached to the card.

I am pretty sure the Mac Pro port is onboard. The card I got is presumably for expansion purposes. I think it was originally intended for Xserves.

http://www.morecomputers.com/extra.asp?pn=MB977G%2FA

I think the card is obsolete now and replaced with one that takes an x4 slot, which is probably why I got those for a song. Presumably, since Xserves are history that card will soon follow suit. It sports very bright light blue and green indicator LEDs.

Surprised the Lycom is out of stock. Scan was plugging this card as a hot seller for ages and it was only about £14 or so. I would personally pay a little extra for the LP bracket as I am a lazy bodger. It seems as if there is only a choice of the Edimax and the Startech at the moment, both of which have Realtek chips onboard.

Re: above, I have not got around to massacring the U3S6 yet. I got some other toys to play with first. By the way, how stable is it after improving the bracket? I note that the second screw clip is a little above the point where you need to bend the bracket, so presumably is not attached to the card.

Re Lycom card and LP bracket - agreed - if it was still available at that price wouldve probably gone for it, but it was around double that so decided to cheap out instead :o

HPs been stable now for over 6 days - so looks like my <48hr lockup problem was the USB boot drive after all.

Downloaded the USB 3 kext you linked thanks - will try that tomorrow.

Re the card - it's definitely mechanically stable. I know what you mean about the 2nd screw postion. I cut the bracket to allow the 2nd screw clip to stay partially attached from the bracket to the card, which meant I couldn't bend the bracket straight. Let me edit the pic tomorrow to highlight the right part.

Btw for those who dont know already, the replacement HP Microserver with the slightly faster processor, now has the £100 cashback offer on for november.

Tempted to pick one up to experiment with Linux, as I've never used it for more than 10 minutes on friends machines. Since HP will sell it with Red Hat then i'm assuming any of the distros will work well.

post-550611-1321214607_thumb.jpg

You can see that the inability to cut down on the lhs as far as you need to, means that the bracket isn't straight. rhs needs to be bent at the level that the screw can enagage with the server chassis.

post-550611-1321214629_thumb.jpg

Hopefully you can see that half of the mounting tab remains attached to the bracket and so secures the card to the bracket

Card isn't really straight in the chassis, but i certainly seem to have got away with it. I don't think PCIE is a precision engineered system ie i think there's a bit of slack that I managed to take advantage of. Card is firmly held so you can plug/unplug cables no problem.

post-550611-1321214646_thumb.jpg

The cutting involves a bit of trial and error - in this case I measured twice and still got it wrong! Didn't matter as I hadn't gone to far 'into' the bracket and so the screw still gripped there and the other side. This is my practice card - a cheap esata i picked up way back. That one was bent straight and sat in the chassis straight too.

Just tried the patched kext Splonk - put it in s/l/e then repaired permissions, rebuilt cache and rebooted - no difference. Still showing as 480Mbs in sys profiler.

Is there anything here useful do you think

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...239311&st=0

I'm wondering if during my build i didn't follow janitors and others intructions from this thread.

As a relative newcomer to the hackintosh world it's easy to miss or forget something....... for example I ran software update recently and updated a few things and got kp's afterwards. I'd forgot that i needed to reload the legacy kernel :(

Will redo that as a job for next weekend - hope to have the ethernet card by then too.

Looks like I've got it sorted ! :D

IONetworkFamily.kext file needed to come from a Snow Leopard Image and not from a Lion one.

As soon as I changed, and installed it, EN1 became available

Cheers all

TK

PS - What's up with this forum, I can only see two pages when I go to the front page ??!!

I'm on the wait for my own Intel card right now, hopefully will it arrive tomorrow. I'm having the same problem as you with the ethernet dropping on heavy load, the only difference is that i network settings it still says that i have the cable plugged in :D

Did you get the same Device ID as the guide stated or does every card have a different ID? If not maybe you can share your Info.plis ?

Will update if i get the card working tomorrow!

Re the card - it's definitely mechanically stable. I know what you mean about the 2nd screw postion. I cut the bracket to allow the 2nd screw clip to stay partially attached from the bracket to the card, which meant I couldn't bend the bracket straight. Let me edit the pic tomorrow to highlight the right part.

Btw for those who dont know already, the replacement HP Microserver with the slightly faster processor, now has the £100 cashback offer on for november.

Tempted to pick one up to experiment with Linux, as I've never used it for more than 10 minutes on friends machines. Since HP will sell it with Red Hat then i'm assuming any of the distros will work well.

Will try this tonight. I think I am going to struggle with the bracket as I don't have a suitable vice to hand, so I am going to try a halfway house and just straighten the top tab of the bracket with a pair of pliers and try to attach the bracket some other way to the housing - glue gun or whatever. That will have to do until I hone my bodging skills.

Re the microserver - Scan had a one day special on Friday. They were clearing the N36L for £162 delivered. That is, a ridiculous £62 after cashback. I bought one and chickened out at the last minute just as they were despatching as there was some doubt that Scan qualified as an authorised reseller for the cashback. Could not get hold of HP or the cashback agency over the weekend so I cancelled the purchase as I would have received it that Monday. Turned out that Scan was approved, although Scan itself seemed unaware of it. Offer is over and Scan is clean out of stock.

Gutted.

It would have been my Linux cum OS/2 plaything.

OK, tried the Asus card in the machine. Everything worked as before. The only difference I noted is a slight drop in USB speeds from before with the no-name 2 port card. Instead of an average 87MB/s write speed with an WD Passport bus powered drive using the AJA System Test utility, I now get about 81MB/s. SysProfiler still lists the card as SuperSpeed, so no errors there. Looks like a keeper to me.

I cannot use the card with a straightened bracket as it knocks against the psu box, so a-bodging I will have to go.

OK, tried the Asus card in the machine. Everything worked as before. The only difference I noted is a slight drop in USB speeds from before with the no-name 2 port card. Instead of an average 87MB/s write speed with an WD Passport bus powered drive using the AJA System Test utility, I now get about 81MB/s. SysProfiler still lists the card as SuperSpeed, so no errors there. Looks like a keeper to me.

I cannot use the card with a straightened bracket as it knocks against the psu box, so a-bodging I will have to go.

re Scan - that was a fantastic deal - wouldve picked one up myself. maybe 2 with one as a christmas present.

good the card works for you. as you say now just need to see if you can get bodgeit and leggit to help out!