• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Brahen

Brahen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello! after some internet research, I just offer you one of my last curiosity!
Has anyone ever tried to change an 27" iMac video card? It should not be more complicated than adding a hard drive?
I found a reseller that sells various models.
I would be tempted to buy an iMac 27 "2010 or 2009 on the refurb and order this graphics card:
Radeon 6970
The resemblance is striking with the older models 5750 5670 4850
Where can we found information about the size of the cards?
Software would there be problems?
Someone once tried the hack?
Thank you for your participation!

Excuse my vocabulary, i'm french.

cwestpha

cwestpha

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Hello! after some internet research, I just offer you one of my last curiosity!
Has anyone ever tried to change an 27" iMac video card? It should not be more complicated than adding a hard drive?
I found a reseller that sells various models.
I would be tempted to buy an iMac 27 "2010 or 2009 on the refurb and order this graphics card:
Radeon 6970
The resemblance is striking with the older models 5750 5670 4850
Where can we found information about the size of the cards?
Software would there be problems?
Someone once tried the hack?
Thank you for your participation!

Excuse my vocabulary, i'm french.

ALL iMacs aren't based on desktop form factors or hardware, they are based on high end laptop components and as such don't take standard format graphics cards. One or two iMacs DO have the GPU on a daughter board that can be replaced without replacing the whole mainboard, but there are no standards for these. As such the only way you could "upgrade" or replace these is via Apple OEM parts. This is why most gamers and people who own macs that are interested in upgrade-ability basically have to get a Mac Pro or go the hackintosh route.
So if it looks anything like a PC Graphics card you can buy at retail or on NewEgg it just wont fit.

LucasIsEpic

LucasIsEpic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 52 posts
the last poster is right, id say only certain permutations of the iMac will have the correct connector on the board and even if the slot is Electrically compatible the firmware on the logic board and/or the graphics card may not permit a swap.
id just put up with the card i have, rather then have all the hassle and cost of a replacement that may not even work.

submarauder

submarauder

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It's fully possible to upgrade the 2009 imac with the graphics card from a 2010 imac. Checkout the following link:

https://discussions....2...=0&tstart=0

would like to find out if its possible to fit a 2011 6970m in a 2010 imac.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy