[HOW TO] enable HDMI DP DVI output on ATI 4890 4870 4850 4830 series (TESTING)

ytrox

56 posts in this topic

Mr. Zarniwoop, what did you change in the ATIRadeonX2000.kext? Did you do something else to the AMD4800controller.kext?

I know you've moved on, but I stumbled across this and thought I'd answer in case it helps others.

Yes, I changed both of those kexts by first patching them as netkas' QE/CI 48xx exotic card patch, and then after that doing my HDMI patch. It looks to me like you only did my HDMI patch.

You might want to find the QE/CI 48xx exotic kexts as a starting point, and then do my HDMI patch which changes the DP personality to HDMI.

• Like 1

I know you've moved on, but I stumbled across this and thought I'd answer in case it helps others. Yes, I changed both of those kexts by first patching them as netkas' QE/CI 48xx exotic card patch, and then after that doing my HDMI patch. It looks to me like you only did my HDMI patch. You might want to find the QE/CI 48xx exotic kexts as a starting point, and then do my HDMI patch which changes the DP personality to HDMI.

Could u explain more the steps for enabling HDMI .. I got the exotic patch to the ATI 4870 card and got it to work but i cant get the HDMI port to work .. Thanks

Could u explain more the steps for enabling HDMI .. I got the exotic patch to the ATI 4870 card and got it to work but i cant get the HDMI port to work .. Thanks

My HDMI patch is here, my card used the Motmot framebuffer personality:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/258665-how-to-enable-hdmi-dp-dvi-output-on-ati-4890-4870-4850-4830-series-testing/?p=1814469

Thanks for your reply,

Here's what i did i opened AMD4800Controller.kext/Contents/MacOS/AMD4800Controller with HexEdit and replaced 00 04 00 00 04 01 00 00 00 01 00 00 10 00 02 03 with 00 08 00 00 04 02 00 00 00 01 00 00 20 00 02 02 

Saved and restarted .. when i plug in my HDMI nothing happens but before patching, when i plug it my main screen mess up ...

is there a step i am messing ? 

i'm using the QE\CI 4800 Exotic patch for 10.10.0 

thanks 

is there a step i am messing ? 

i'm using the QE\CI 4800 Exotic patch for 10.10.0 

I always needed to install the new Kext with Kextdrop or something similar, otherwise it didn't rebuild the Kext Cache and use the newly patched kext.

Otherwise, it sounds like you did what I would have done. HDMI was recognized once the Mac OS X desktop appeared.

Thanks for the follow-up.

For everyone who is using clover: There is an easy way to patch the framebuffer with clover now. The procedure is described here. With Clover Configurator it is even easier - give it a try :)

No need for manually patching some kexts, installing them and rebuilding caches etc -- just change the clover config file with clover configurator, save and reboot and test :)

btw: DVI and HDMI incl audio works nicely with my R9 270X :)