[HOW TO] enable HDMI DP DVI output on ATI 4890 4870 4850 4830 series (TESTING)

ytrox

56 posts in this topic

After 10.6.3 update, most of 48xx ATI cards loses the support of a second monitor, or they never had one. below there is a solution for activate multiple monitors. many thanks to mucha, bcc9, dong, crazybirdy

I'm still testing, there are some tweaks to do. I need your feedbacks for

improve the final result.

DP_DVI

ATIFramebuffer.kext.zip

DVI_HDMI

ATIFramebuffer.kext.zip

boot_RC5_752_4890_Peregrine.zip

DVI_DVI (need more tests)

ATIFramebuffer.kext.zip

for DVI_HDMI you need another framebuffer (Peregrine). change the boot file with the one posted above. It's based on chameleon rc5 rev752. I have tryed kabyl boot AtiFb option but without success.

I'm also trying to find a way to include HDMI_DVI_DP output in one solution but I need more reports.

enjoy and please give me a response

edit: It works also on lion and the fake 4xxx series monitor issue is solved! obviously you need atisupport, ati4800contr from 10.6.7. :P

After 10.6.3 update, most of 48xx ATI cards lost the support for a second monitor, or they never had one. below there is a solution for activate multiple monitors. many thanks to mucha, bcc9, dong, crazybirdy

I'm still testing, there are some tweaks to do. I need your feedbacks for

improve the final result.

DP_DVI

ATIFramebuffer.kext.zip

DVI_HDMI

ATIFramebuffer.kext.zip

boot_RC5_752_4890_Peregrine.zip

DVI_DVI (need more tests)

ATIFramebuffer.kext.zip

for DVI_HDMI you need another framebuffer (Peregrine). change the boot file with the one posted above. It's based on chameleon rc5 rev752. I have tryed kabyl boot AtiFb option but without success.

I'm also trying to find a way to include HDMI_DVI_DP output in one solution but I need more reports.

enjoy and please give me a response

Well I have been searching around and someone said they had got their dual DVI 4890 working with 6.7 using Netkas Exotic Patch for 6.7 (LINK)...

I tried this and it didn't work for me but I had already installed 6.7 combo update (they said to install before rebooting after combo update).

Maybe this will help you.

• 5 months later...
Just wondering how you got both DVI and HDMI to work? Where do I place the boot file? Is it in the root directory? Also when I tried using the display port one using the next helper, it kills my os x install...any ideas?

what? i don't understand..

Exactly as I said, I tried using the ATIFramebuffer kext into the S/L/E folder (and restored permissions, and cleared caches) for the Display port but that actually killed my install (I wasnt able to get back even via single user mode).

As for the HDMI & DVI ports working together for multi monitor support - this is what I assume is the procedure...

Install the ATIFramebuffer.kext into S/L/E folder, and then copy the boot file into the root directory restore permissions on both files, and clear caches? Then change the boot.plist to include graphicsenabler = yes and AtiConfig = Peregrine?

Exactly as I said, I tried using the ATIFramebuffer kext into the S/L/E folder (and restored permissions, and cleared caches) for the Display port but that actually killed my install (I wasnt able to get back even via single user mode).

As for the HDMI & DVI ports working together for multi monitor support - this is what I assume is the procedure...

Install the ATIFramebuffer.kext into S/L/E folder, and then copy the boot file into the root directory restore permissions on both files, and clear caches? Then change the boot.plist to include graphicsenabler = yes and AtiConfig = Peregrine?

with the framebuffer you need to install atisupport and aticontrol4800 from 10.6.7. you've do that?

Ok, I tried that boot file, but it caused my os x lion install to die. :) it stopped at a firewire loading :/ really weird.

that boot file is baised on chameleon rev 750 so you need to install chameleon rev 750 then replace the boot file.

Ok, thanks for that Ytrox (and for been so patient with me!)

I've been googling rev 750 of chameleon, however, everywhere I read about it it says it won't boot lion :/ Can you confirm if it will boot lion? Cheers!

aahhh damn it! you are right. take some sources from cham 2.1 and change framebuffer by yourself. or if you are not able to do that i will do it tomorrow

I would appreciate it if you could do that one for me, I've already broken about 5 installs messing with chameleon 750 and osx lion and chimera as well...

My brain is fried lol! Thanks heaps for all your assistance with this ytrox! It means a huge amount to me :wacko:

I would appreciate it if you could do that one for me, I've already broken about 5 installs messing with chameleon 750 and osx lion and chimera as well...

My brain is fried lol! Thanks heaps for all your assistance with this ytrox! It means a huge amount to me :wacko:

give it a try. not sure it works, try also flag AtiFb. It's chameleon 2.1 rev1701 (trunk)i386.zip. install boot, boot0, boot1h...

ok after installing the frame buffer and the 4800 controller and the ati support, osx doesn't load the gui.

However with the boot files you gave me both screens come up, but what ever is on the DVI is the primary display, the secondary is a mirror of the primary - however as soon as you go to change any settings you lose the secondary monitor...

ok after installing the frame buffer and the 4800 controller and the ati support, osx doesn't load the gui.

However with the boot files you gave me both screens come up, but what ever is on the DVI is the primary display, the secondary is a mirror of the primary - however as soon as you go to change any settings you lose the secondary monitor...

try continuing changing resotions or the monitors positions. if you loose the host page of system prefs click on gather windows.

Is strange, with no next change, if I drop the dvi connector, it will bring up the hdmi connected monitor as if it WAS the second monitor (i.e. no menu at the top nothing on my primary desktop...then when I plug the DVI cable back in to the PC, it drops signal off the HDMI cable back to the main desktop screen :/ And th system properties sees two monitors...

Thank god for super duper...otherwise I would have thrown my pc out the window...no more installs...

And just to clarify, all 3 ports, hdmi, dvi and DP all work on windows 7...

try continuing changing resotions or the monitors positions. if you loose the host page of system prefs click on gather windows.

sorry I have read wrong. if your system loads framebuffer you will have black screen at startup. right? have you connect the two monitors before turnig on the machine? can you boot in safe (-x) mode?

I just booted into my working install, let me try safe mode - and yes both monitors connected at system power on.

All I see is the verbose logging to console, saying DSMOS has arrived and then the read drivers for ntfs drives.

If you can access your pc in remote mode you can change res from there.