What fans to use/buy?

dolan

7 posts in this topic

I bought a case which has no fans or anything, and was wondering if its good to buying the original G5 fans from ebay, or use a normal PC one? Or is it the same?

If I use the G5 fans, how would I connect them? Would it need alot of tweaking

I would go with normal computer fans. The g5 fans are not the best. tri blade which most people see as inferior. But as previously mentioned read up and decide yourself. And just to mention connecting the fans is not difficult as many people think it is.

Ok, ill go with normal fans, but theres no screw holes lol

Should I manually make them? or can I just use epoxy?

If you use your own fans then you'll need to build some mounting brackets. Or if you buy the original case fans, they have their own housings which will snap into place. They should be pretty cheap on ebay, etc.

I had to buy my rear case fan assembly because mine didn't come with it. They are quite noisy though so I may swap them out with quieter ones.

You can fit a pair of 180's in there at the front, but you will need to do a fair bit of trimming of the outer frame to make both fit. I used a table-saw to thin them down to fit. Also had to get creative on the mounting...I siliconed both fans together and then siliconed a block of open-cell foam to the top of the fan-stack. Once all of that was dry I siliconed the fan stack to the bottom of the cd-rom plate. This effectively de-coupled the fans from the chasis and made them quiet. Pretty easy to do, once I knew what needed to be done. I am able to run the fans at around 300 rpm each.

In addition I did the moutain mods mobo tray but then made my own back panel that incorporates a 120mm exhaust. It was not hard...just took some figuring out. I stuck the PSU up top.